V-Twin Forum banner

A Motorcycle Wasn't Designed For Interstate Travel?

20K views 258 replies 57 participants last post by  captainhook455 
#1 · (Edited)
----------

#4 ·
Is it a misconception or is it a fact that motorcycles were never designed or intended to be used for interstate travel, regardless of the fact that people do it anyway?

I bring this subject up due to the grief people get from so-called 'hardcore' riders who complain about other people who trailer their bikes instead of riding them to and from their destinations.
Who said that Motorcycles aren't designed for use on the interstate? You got a link to something or is just something you were thinking about?

As for the trailer thing, it's a free country, people can trailer or not trailer. And people can voice their opinion of using a trailer as well as the people who do it.

It's really not that big of a deal, except........When they pose as someone who rides the scooter to get where they are going.

#7 ·
If I am going to meet people or to an event that is like 6-800 miles away, I'd rather pound it out on the slab @80 and be done with it. Spend the saved time enjoying what ever it was I want to.

But if it's just a week on the scooter with no place to be at any given time, secondary roads are fine.

The old original US highways are nice, until they run through the middle of a big town or city.

#8 ·
When you talk about "interstate travel", are you talking about travel between states or traveling on the interstate highway system? Motorcycles do both very well, however many motorcyclist don't like interstate highway travel when conducting interstate travel. As a matter of fact we don't care for interstate travel when we travel intrastate either.

What does either have to do with trailering a bike or trailering with a bike?

#18 ·
Traveling cross country and trailering is to me more sensible for that far...
You are approaching this as if the only possible reason for going that far is to reach the destination?

Many of us, myself included, don't ride to reach a set destination. To use a cliche, "the journey is the destination".

The point where I am furthest from home and have to head back is merely a rest stop before I begin the return ride.

I also don't take the same route back that I just rode.

#10 ·
I just did a couple of 1100km days at 110km/h on a motorway interstate on my dyna. I think the bike loved it, my body...not so much. Windshield, comfy seat and a QUALITY face mask are on my list for the next one in October. Might take the back highways next time though.

No one had filthy attitudes towards anyone who didnt ride the distance. But I wouldn't have it any other way. Even if I was a bit sore after.

#16 ·
I would put 2 to 300 miles on a Saturday ride without thinking about it

#19 ·
All I can say is once I head out It doesn't matter if it's 50 or 500 miles. The fatigue that sets in isn't from time in the saddle but the mental exhaustion from dealing with everything around you. As Therm said some times you want to make time in the fast lane and other times just a pleasant back road cruise with no particular time frame. Once on my way I just get into a zone and just keep going till I need to stop for gas.

#20 ·
Is it a misconception or is it a fact that motorcycles were never designed or intended to be used for interstate travel, regardless of the fact that people do it anyway?

I bring this subject up due to the grief people get from so-called 'hardcore' riders who complain about other people who trailer their bikes instead of riding them to and from their destinations.
Dispatch, if this is a fishing expedition I think you caught some keepers.:265:

#21 · (Edited)
100 miles in I have leg numbness and usually thigh cramps along with it because of my back. I pull over and stretch, takes about 15 minutes and I'm back on another 100 miles. I also do this if I stand to long(for me), usually if I stand not moving for 10 minutes or longer, legs and thighs hurt and go numb. I can walk all day and be fine, except the normal need for a breather but again as soon as I stop and just stand and not move, I'm hurting. so, I have to sit down for about 15 minutes. I was suppose to have back surgery some years back and turned it down.

I don't understand the trailer thing unless you have other plans besides riding your scooter at set destination. But I also don't get the radio thing on a bike, But thats just me and so it's a free country.

#23 ·
Older motors (think early shovel and earlier) didn't like constant high RPMS like interstates caused. Backing off throttle occasionally to cause them to sucks oil back in the top end was a good idea.

Newer bikes don't have the problem and as long as jetting is correct there is no problem with interstates. If jetting is too lean oil temperature will climb to oil break down temps which is the real issue with long high speed runs. Oil cooler is recommended for any bike that does extended high speed running.

Can't tell you how many trips I made on a 77 FX of 1000 miles or more interstate runs.

When I got my 92FLTCU a normal ride was 300-400 mile round trip.

Now days I take the RV and trailer the bike. Wife won't ride her own bike and with a couple kids trailer is only option to have bike when I get there.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

#24 ·
If I was taking my wife along I could see using a trailer,hauling the bike to a basecamp area and then doing rides in every surrounding direction that I wished to see.That way if she said she didn't feel like riding one day I just leave her at the motel and take off.She would still have the truck for sight-seeing or shopping and I wouldn't have to listen to her being stuck with nothing to do.

Option #2 is me taking the bike by myself and enjoying a leisurely journey and flying her to the nearest large City and just picking her up.

I would definitely tow the bike from Michigan to Daytona area for Bike Week.Screw that,I like riding but freezing sucks.

#27 ·
Not sure who you were sitting around the campfire with but keep in mind people ride for different reasons. One of my favorite riding companions likes to start and finish a day's ride in his driveway. He doesn't like running the interstates and so he doesn't.
I, on the other hand like both day trips and long trips. I'm heading down to FL for bike week tomorrow and I chose to trailer. The weather this time of year can be quite questionable and I will probably put 1500-1800 miles on while I'm in FL for the week. If it were spring-fall I would probably ride instead.
Reality is properly preparing and having the bike that is comfortable for you makes all the difference. If your bike isn't set up right for you then 100 miles can seem like an eternity.
BTW, the older bikes weren't made for travel at today's speeds on the hiway because there were no hiways back then and the technology wasn't there yet.

#28 ·
You can't really diss people for using trailers. People who live up north use em to get scooters down to where it's warm. Some people use them to make long trips with bar hopper scooters. Others use them so as to be with their families to and from vacations and such. And of course some older people use them because they aren't up to long days on the scooter. Some people use em just because they can, hey its a free country.

But with that said, when everyone who rode their scooter in is sitting around talking about their rolls, you trailer tramps should probably STFU and go buy some beer, seeing as you have a cage to pack it in.

#31 ·

But with that said, when everyone who rode their scooter in is sitting around talking about their rolls, you trailer tramps should probably STFU and go buy some beer, seeing as you have a cage to pack it in.
I don't have a trailer, but I have trucked a bike in the back of a pick-up many times.

So I guess I need to STFU too????

It's my time\vacation. If I want to truck it somewhere I will. That's great if you never do but I could care less. I hope it makes you feel good when you disparage people that trailer or truck.

Have a nice day.

rkc

#29 · (Edited)
If you are fatigued after 50-100 miles on a modern motorcycle, you need to get in shape for riding. Motorcycling is a physical activity. Like golf and bowling, you can't always tell by looking at the participants. But with any of them if you do too much without conditioning, you will become fatigued much sooner than a seasoned rider. My fat a$$ is just getting warmed up at 100 miles.

Therm, ease up on us older folks.

#30 ·

Attachments

#34 ·
If I was up to it, I would be riding today.

And yes, maybe I am a little grumpy today. However it is pretty common here to belittle anyone that trailers a bike or doesn't ride that many miles per day or without stopping as them.

I don't care or think anyone is better than me because they ride X number of miles more than me. Actually I think much less of those with the "holier than thou" attitude. And some people here definitely have that. ( not you cliff).

Let people enjoy their life without insulting them.

rkc

#37 ·
Interesting subject and one who's answer has changed a lot over time for me.

In my 20's it was no big deal to hop on the bikes after work and head down south for the weekend ( Chicago to Nashville or even Texas as an example ). Key to those trips was a duffel bag and bed roll to lean back against, floorboards vs pegs so I could keep changing position, and Buckhorn or pull back bars to keep my wrists and elbows comfortable.

Interestingly enough I found the Ultra Classic I had for a while to be a pain in the ass on long rides. The wind pushed the fairings around enough that it was a lot of work on the arms. ( Might have had a little to do with my being 30 years older! )

Now as I am in my 60's I prefer not doing 60+ mph for long stretches. Smaller highways are scenic and pretty nice to ride on, and a trailer behind my Avalanche sounds like a good way to cross country.

I agree with Therm, that it is the journey, but sometimes part of that journey is in the comfort of a big ass pickup rolling across the road at 85 mph, lol.

#44 ·
Interesting subject and one who's answer has changed a lot over time for me.

In my 20's it was no big deal to hop on the bikes after work and head down south for the weekend ( Chicago to Nashville or even Texas as an example ). Key to those trips was a duffel bag and bed roll to lean back against, floorboards vs pegs so I could keep changing position, and Buckhorn or pull back bars to keep my wrists and elbows comfortable.

Interestingly enough I found the Ultra Classic I had for a while to be a pain in the ass on long rides. The wind pushed the fairings around enough that it was a lot of work on the arms. ( Might have had a little to do with my being 30 years older! )

Now as I am in my 60's I prefer not doing 60+ mph for long stretches. Smaller highways are scenic and pretty nice to ride on, and a trailer behind my Avalanche sounds like a good way to cross country.

I agree with Therm, that it is the journey, but sometimes part of that journey is in the comfort of a big ass pickup rolling across the road at 85 mph, lol.
Works for me on my FXR. I'm making a concession to geezerdom by mounting a fairing this year and I've been looking for a set of stock pegs to replace my forwards. It isn't "old age" for me, just a couple of back injuries to deal with. Most of my miles come from commuting to work but I'm hoping to get in a little more riding while I'm stationed in NC.

#38 ·
I only ride on I-95 when I have to; which isn't often.

Everyone on that entire Interstate Highway is trying to murder you.

I know this isn't exactly what this thread is about. I'm talking about riding on the Interstate Highways.

I-64 around Hampton Roads - same way. They'll murder you.

The thing about Interstate Highways is that they are inundated with out-of-towners who have no idea where they're going. They plug their destination into their GPS and hit GO. Usually the quickest, most direct route - which is usually the Interstate Highways.

Set the cruise control, turn the radio on, and f**k everybody.

Then you have the asshats who insist on using the Interstate Highways because 65 mph really means 95 mph. They'll murder you too.

Nope; I like to take the less popular routes whenever I can. The ones that GPS won't normally use.

With all the creature comforts of automobile cabins today - like premium sound systems, TV's, internet, DVD players, disco balls, fully stocked bars, and "noise cancelling technology" - we don't stand a chance out there.

#39 ·
You Gave me a different look on it.

Nice! My vote for the day is for dirtybrain! While your on a role could you do something about our health care?:beer4u:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.