Millennials and motorcycles : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Motorcycle Related NON-TECHNICAL Discussion > General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2017, 01:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
In disguise

FXR2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Millennials and motorcycles

Was watching Jim Cramer talking about investments and he mentioned Polaris shutting down the Victory brand, and then Harley not meeting sales predictions for 2016. But then he mentioned that all brands of motorcycles were selling fewer bikes because Millennials in general just were not as interested in motorcycles as previous generations. I had never really thought about this, figuring slow sales were primarily an economic thing.

What does everybody think? Are younger people just not as "into" motorcycles these days? My mid twenties daughter and her male and female friends aren't. My teenage son sees my bike and others regularly yet apparently has no interest. I would have gone crazy if my old man rode a Harley when I was growing up. Maybe Cramer's onto something. If so, I wonder why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2017, 05:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

FXDRYDR is still riding a stock bike FXDRYDR is still riding a stock bike
Dunno, but there seems to ba a lot of kids who are content slackers. Maybe even a majority of them.
Black, chrome & loud.
FXDRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2017, 07:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

lpennock wants to know Dino or Syn?
My 16yo hasn't even shown enough interest in driving to study for a learners permit and has zero interest in a bike. My 27yo has only a passing interest in a bike. So maybe something to what Cramer said.

Leonard Pennock (AD7AS)
Sent with Tapatalk

Old 02-14-2017, 07:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
'Toad'

Settertude is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I think its something in the water.

"We are Groot"

You don't really think a little thing like a "dry county" can stop a bunch of cajuns from finding a bar, do you?
--BigD

Poser reunion 08/05/2016

2007 Road King
Some stuff the Indy did
So I can spank some poser
Settertude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2017, 07:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

FishinFather wants to know Dino or Syn?
3 out of my 4 want bikes. My oldest son and one daughter want H-D, one daughter likes riding with me but no interest in having one (at 18 she's content not to drive a car too) and my youngest (14) would like the fastest metric he can get. I'll work on him...

Most of the kids I know (lots of Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and kid's sports friends) aren't really interested in cars, truck, bikes, boats... I don't get them but their parents aren't too interested in that stuff either.
FishinFather is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2017, 07:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Thermodyne is still riding a stock bike Thermodyne is still riding a stock bike Thermodyne is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXR2 View Post
Was watching Jim Cramer talking about investments and he mentioned Polaris shutting down the Victory brand, and then Harley not meeting sales predictions for 2016. But then he mentioned that all brands of motorcycles were selling fewer bikes because Millennials in general just were not as interested in motorcycles as previous generations. I had never really thought about this, figuring slow sales were primarily an economic thing.

What does everybody think? Are younger people just not as "into" motorcycles these days? My mid twenties daughter and her male and female friends aren't. My teenage son sees my bike and others regularly yet apparently has no interest. I would have gone crazy if my old man rode a Harley when I was growing up. Maybe Cramer's onto something. If so, I wonder why?
It's a lot of things. A lot of kids are more wired in today. They spend a lot of time with electronic gizmos as opposed to being out and about. So there probably is less interest.

And then there is the economy. The middle class has been gutted, and that was the base of the motorcycle buying public. Young people have a hard time covering stuff like room and board these days. There is a lot less disposable income for buying toys. And the toys have gotten so expensive as to be out of reach for many who might like to buy one. I listen to a young man tell me how he had repaired his credit the other day. Had his FICO up into the high 600's. These kids have no idea today.

And lastly, the MoCo's main customer base has grown too old to ride. For 40 years they have marketed to this group and ignored what the younger generation wanted.

But mostly it's this economy. It sucks for the blue collar people, and that trickles up. I can buy mid 2000 Sporties for around $3000 right now, but I can't sell em for $4000 unless I'm willing to hold paper. A year ago the same scooters were bringing close to $5k.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

twood71 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Over all is a Less interested, way less interested generation IMO.

My son is a late bloomer on the driving, My daughter is in no hurry still at 17, so there has been no interest in owning a car let alone a bike.

In my opinion from what I see this generation just thinks different than we did.

My daughter is a painter and a hippy minus the drugs. My son give credit where it is do, has held a job because he wanted one since he was 14, still at it at 19. So both are not lazy just think way different than I or my wife did at their age.

Because if you give Me Strength,

I'm gonna need bail money to go with it

2005 FLHRCI
Brand New Air in tires, spared no Expense
47,000mls
twood71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2017, 08:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Yellerbike wants to know Dino or Syn?
Back in my younger days (early 60's) this little farming community I live in was full of Cushmans, 50cc Yamerhamers few Mopads and Hondue's. every where you turned you would see one rolling or parked, all my friends had something. No helmet laws and the police just over looked a young teen on a scooter. About 1/4 of that crowd still ride. Its a lot more problematic to start young today and like Therm said, their hooked up on electrons.

"DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE."
Yellerbike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2017, 01:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

jammer45u is reading this now saying WTF is this? jammer45u is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I've noticed teens indifference to driving for a few years, it seems to be getting worse. I've always chalked it up to overregulation on obtaining their license, but Therm may have tagged it with the Information Age. They're way more interested in the next offering from Apple than they are from Ford or GM.

A couple weeks ago one of the talking heads on CNBC was commenting on auto stocks. Thought they were all destined to drop due to lack of sales. He predicted in the not so distant future driverless vehicles from a service similar to Uber would provide most personal transportation. What a nightmare.
jammer45u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2017, 01:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Malx wants to know Dino or Syn?
My friends kids were asked the question when they were 15 going on 16 if they would like to get their license and they preferred to have the newest cell phone instead. When I was their age I couldn't wait to be able to drive and be independent. Get out and socialize. Now all they want to do is walk around looking at their smartphone and communicating across the room to each other by way of text... Just don't get it..
Old 02-14-2017, 02:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Thermodyne is still riding a stock bike Thermodyne is still riding a stock bike Thermodyne is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer45u View Post
I've noticed teens indifference to driving for a few years, it seems to be getting worse. I've always chalked it up to overregulation on obtaining their license, but Therm may have tagged it with the Information Age. They're way more interested in the next offering from Apple than they are from Ford or GM.

A couple weeks ago one of the talking heads on CNBC was commenting on auto stocks. Thought they were all destined to drop due to lack of sales. He predicted in the not so distant future driverless vehicles from a service similar to Uber would provide most personal transportation. What a nightmare.
Back when the phone hung on the kitchen wall, and you shared a room with siblings, you couldn't wait to get away from the house. So as to have a social life. And unless you lived in the city, that meant wheels. Today kids are connected to their social lives right from their bedrooms. And they tend to have their own rooms and such.

And with that said, a summer job and a decent day at the DMV got you on the road. Old cars were cheap, and not that hard to keep on the road. Also, insurance was affordable, at least until you fuked up.

Now a dependable running car is $6K to $10K, and it costs an arm and a leg to keep an old car running. The insurance companies hammer new drivers right out of the gate. And there is a lot of peer pressure. Just having wheels ain't all that anymore, it has to be hi end wheels. Where I'm from in MD, the high schools look like BMW and Mercedes dealerships.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

lpennock wants to know Dino or Syn?
Not sure entry cars are that much more. My first car was $400 and I made $250/month. Same level of car is now $1500-2000 but wages are $300-400/week now.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2017, 02:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Premium Member

DoomBuggy wants to know Dino or Syn?
A lot of good points above. As a kid ( mid 1960s ) we ALL rode dirt bikes and the farmers would let us use their fields once the crops were in. Then when the developers showed up we could all ride on the hills they made as they dug out entire subdivisions at one time. Plus growing up in a small town at the time, we really were still doing the American Graffiti thing.

To date a girl you had better have a set of wheels, plus almost everyone I knew could wrench on their own machines. It was a right of passage to get your first beater, usually pulled out of some farmers field.

My oldest is 40 and my youngest is 25 so not exactly millennials, but the difference between the oldest and youngest is striking. The oldest drives a car which is as much of a status symbol to her group as my Panhead was among mine.

My youngest has her ratty Jeep which gets her and her dog to the slopes and that is all she really cares about.

I am hoping I can "save" my grandson otherwise I have no idea who will get the Panhead or all of my Dad and my tools when I kick it!

Different world that's for sure.

Edit: I recently told my wife that if worse comes to worse donate all the tools and machines to whatever local high school we are near, her comment, "Do any of them even have shop classes anymore?"

1956 Panhead Bobber, my forever bike
2008 FLHTCU - ABS / Dark Blue Pearl - Sold
1955 Panhead Rigid - Gone but not forgotten
1969 XLCH - Desert Cruisers - Miss her a lot

Last edited by DoomBuggy; 02-14-2017 at 02:42 PM.
DoomBuggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2017, 02:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

FXDRYDR is still riding a stock bike FXDRYDR is still riding a stock bike
Teens do stay connected through their phones - but you can't go drinking with your buddies, hang out, etc., on your phone.

Something else I notice a lot is the whole, sloppy/slacker-boy - unshaven/ungroomed look many young people are into. Guess many of the young girls aren't too picky about the personal hygiene of guys they're seen with but back in the stone age, guys wanted to look sharp.
Black, chrome & loud.
FXDRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2017, 02:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Premium Member

DoomBuggy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXDRYDR View Post
Teens do stay connected through their phones - but you can't go drinking with your buddies, hang out, etc., on your phone.

Something else I notice a lot is the whole, sloppy/slacker-boy - unshaven/ungroomed look many young people are into. Guess many of the young girls aren't too picky about the personal hygiene of guys they're seen with but back in the stone age, guys wanted to look sharp.
Eh, after growing up with the hippies nothing much bothers me. As long as I don't smell ya, it's all good

1956 Panhead Bobber, my forever bike
2008 FLHTCU - ABS / Dark Blue Pearl - Sold
1955 Panhead Rigid - Gone but not forgotten
1969 XLCH - Desert Cruisers - Miss her a lot
DoomBuggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.