Millennials and motorcycles - Page 5 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Motorcycle Related NON-TECHNICAL Discussion > General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2017, 04:37 PM   #61 (permalink)
IronButt

ecir45 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
They started crushing cars way before that here, recall it mostly a quicker cash out for the owners when metal cost were up.
ecir45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2017, 05:00 PM   #62 (permalink)
FNG :)

RoadRider13 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
LOL this place is brimming with rusty old ramblers. You're doing fine except that paragraphs would make your posts easier for some of us to read.

joe
touche!
USN 82-92
2017 Road King

RoadRider13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2017, 07:05 PM   #63 (permalink)
IronButt

EngineerCat wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just finished reading everyone's posts and can't agree more especially with the stuff that Therm and G-Man put down and while the YouTube skit is very funny I think we are witnessing the dissolution of society in part.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:25 PM   #64 (permalink)
IronButt

dirtybrain is reading this now saying WTF is this? dirtybrain is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malx View Post
My god daughters kids are in their 20's and not only can't they change the oil but even figure out how to put air in the tires when needed. Let alone change a flat.. Yikes!
If it can't be accomplished with a smart phone, they want no part of it.

I still have a flip phone. I'd post a picture of it but I can't.

I'm waiting to see some kid on the side of the road trying to put air in a flat tire with his/her phone.
dirtybrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2017, 05:01 AM   #65 (permalink)
IronButt

smitty901 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Polaris shut Victory down because they could not sell them. To many uncovered warranty claim, parts issues. They could not afford to have both Victory and Indian . They figured they could market the Indian at a higher price, smaller market. They would just over time rebrand the Victory as an Indian.
Younger people are to wrapped up in their phones to ride. All is not lost. I have grand children and it is in their bold.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:29 AM   #66 (permalink)
IronButt

Topgeye wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
How long since you've seen $50-$100 junkyard motors. They usually ran fine, and would fit a variety of cars (and trucks).

joe
In 1970 I had a 68 Mustang which due to my heavy foot and less than lawful driving habits needed a motor. I went to a local " junk yard " and told him what I needed. He not only said he had the 289 I needed for $175.00 he turned around and pointed at it on a rack. All that without spending 30 minutes in a book or on micofiche looking for it.
In 2005 I needed a rebuilt auto transmission for my 95 Chevy pic-up. I went to the same place which did them in house. By now they didn't call the business a junk yard but " Used auto Parts ". The up side was I didn't have to wait because they have a guy that did all these and had different years and models done on the rack. The down side was along with an external cooler it cost me $1600.00 and I had to put it in and return the old one. Times change.
Topgeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2017, 08:54 AM   #67 (permalink)
IronButt

twood71 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgeye View Post
In 1970 I had a 68 Mustang which due to my heavy foot and less than lawful driving habits needed a motor. I went to a local " junk yard " and told him what I needed. He not only said he had the 289 I needed for $175.00 he turned around and pointed at it on a rack. All that without spending 30 minutes in a book or on micofiche looking for it.
In 2005 I needed a rebuilt auto transmission for my 95 Chevy pic-up. I went to the same place which did them in house. By now they didn't call the business a junk yard but " Used auto Parts ". The up side was I didn't have to wait because they have a guy that did all these and had different years and models done on the rack. The down side was along with an external cooler it cost me $1600.00 and I had to put it in and return the old one. Times change.
lol yea PC culture "Used Parts"

Because if you give Me Strength,

I'm gonna need bail money to go with it

2005 FLHRCI
Brand New Air in tires, spared no Expense
47,000mls
twood71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2017, 11:43 AM   #68 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Thermodyne is still riding a stock bike Thermodyne is still riding a stock bike Thermodyne is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtybrain View Post
If it can't be accomplished with a smart phone, they want no part of it.

I still have a flip phone. I'd post a picture of it but I can't.

I'm waiting to see some kid on the side of the road trying to put air in a flat tire with his/her phone.
I just made the switch from a flip to a smart phone this winter. Too much stuff requires a smart phone to operate it these days.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:48 PM   #69 (permalink)
In disguise

FXR2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
LOL this place is brimming with rusty old ramblers.

joe

I never owned a Rambler but I saw a lot of rusty ones. Still probably better than my crappy Firebird.(LOL)

But on the topic, before I retired, I worked with a number of young computer gurus. They would enthusiastically talk and argue bits, bytes, RAM, chips, processor speed, memory, you get the picture. Some were even building their own computers. I guess you can see where I'm going.

It occurred to me that these guys, who don't know or care anything about mechanical stuff, are really just directing their "Motörhead" tendencies toward electronics rather than anything that burns gasoline.

Also, as has been mentioned, cars are lots better nowadays but when they break, it's much more difficult and expensive to repair. That's got to discourage a lot of otherwise mechanically oriented folks. I have a 2006 Toyota SUV. It came with supposedly lifetime (automatic) transmission fluid. I had it replaced, anyway at 100k miles. The dealership told me that a junkyard transmission like mine would cost in the neighborhood of $6000.00.

But do you really have to be proficient at turning wrenches in order to get interested in motorcycles? Can't young people just enjoy riding? Bikes are better, nowadays as well, right? I'm just asking. Me, the "mechanical-ness" of bikes was one of the attractions, but maybe the computer generation doesn't have that interest. Can a total non gearhesd still like bikes? I guess HD among others would like an answer to that one.

Last edited by FXR2; 02-17-2017 at 01:56 PM.
FXR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2017, 01:54 PM   #70 (permalink)
IronButt

ecir45 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I know if I was a teenager in this current day I would probably have a scooter or a ruckus tricked out. Remember playing with mopeds in my mini bike go-kart days.
ecir45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2017, 01:58 PM   #71 (permalink)
IronButt

dirtybrain is reading this now saying WTF is this? dirtybrain is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodyne View Post
I just made the switch from a flip to a smart phone this winter. Too much stuff requires a smart phone to operate it these days.
I suppose I won't have a choice soon. Kinda like the cable companies switching their signal to all digital. It will be smart phone or no phone. (the latter sounds pretty good to me)
Old 02-17-2017, 01:59 PM   #72 (permalink)
In disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecir45 View Post
I know if I was a teenager in this current day I would probably have a scooter or a ruckus tricked out. Remember playing with mopeds in my mini bike go-kart days.
When I was a teenager I could rent a Kawasaki 175 all day with no m/c licens or insurance required. Don't remember the price but I could afford it after flipping burgers the week before.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:02 PM   #73 (permalink)
In disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodyne View Post
Yeah, I get that, but why do so many young folks stand in line every 2-3 years to spend another $700 for the latest model?
Old 02-17-2017, 02:04 PM   #74 (permalink)
IronButt

captainhook455 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgeye View Post
I went to Precision Transmission and told them to replace the worn parts. They even put in a Corvette sensor for $500. Never say rebuild it.

tarheel
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2017, 02:04 PM   #75 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXR2 View Post
Yeah, I get that, but why do so many young folks stand in line every 2-3 years to spend another $700 for the latest model?
Because otherwise - you're just not cool. Remember Air Jordans? Kids still get killed over those shoes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.