Picked up my 1st Shovel

14K views 201 replies 26 participants last post by  Alan S 
#1 ·
1969 FLH genny shovel in a 39 Knuckle frame, 65' trans, jockey shift
motor was rebuilt last year. Looking forward to some fun miles on this

See less See more
#4 ·
Sir Tude'

I'm due for northern ride soon. I did a ride to Stowe VT a couple weeks back weather was nice and there was still snow on the slopes. Nice way to kick off the season.

As far as 2 wheeled projects, the motor for the bike ya'll saw me on last year (52' Panhead) is just about done and I'll be ridin it when I can.

My go fast go far hiway destroyer 124" Roadking has been ridden all winter and stands ready to take me anywhere.

The 1984 FXRP I traded for a Motor and Frame

I had a 1948 motor and frame plus some assorted parts and I sold that to a gentleman who was building his dream bike. He was born in 48' himself and had a 48 in his younger days and wanted to build one like he used to own so that was a nice transaction.

I still have a rigid frame and assorted parts to do something....who knows?

I came across this recent aquisition last Fall it was one of many older bikes the seller had, from 1939 flathead, a couple 46's a cherry 65 Pan chopper, and who knows what else. Fast forward to now, seller needed room and $$ for other projects and I got a sweet deal. Bike fits me perfectly, is all HD parts and was born in 1969 like me so that was the clincher.

So now I have a Panhead, a Shovelhead, and an EVO to ride. Lots of posing options ��

#12 ·
I really like the bike. It'll be a blast to ride. Just be wary of your braking distance.. I had a bike that was set up the same with just a rear drum brake. Enjoy!

#14 · (Edited)
Thanks for the survival advice. The springer and brakeless wheel setup is being removed and an early FL drum brake front end with a 21" wheel is going on. Bars and internal throttle staying the same. It's getting the fork tubes cut down to keep the low stance of the bike. It has new shoes so there should be enough braking power to hold me on a hill.

Also did new rear brake drum and shoes, rebuilt star hubs, new intake gaskets, new tires, new chain. I ride my bike somestimes kinda hard so it has to be fairly safe and reliable.

#38 ·
great project,, i could just see my pant leg being removed by that belt tho.. heh heh,, i'd like to see what's behind yours to! looks like a sweeet ole girl..

#47 ·
I started a thread/flamewar on another forum with the prev owner of the shovel. Follow the link at your own risk. If you have a weak stomach or any morals at all stay clear. If you laugh till you hurt then your as messed up as I am. Sorry in advance for what you wont be able to un-see

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46864

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.