V-Twin Forum banner

Does anybody use their CB Radio?

30K views 55 replies 33 participants last post by  Homesick 
#1 ·
I have a 2009 Ultra Classic and a friend just bought a 2012 ultra classic. I have tried to use the CB and now want to so we can talk as we ride on our trips. Should our radios work pretty good or do they need to be tuned? So far I cannot get anyone to answer me if I hear them talking. What do we need to do to get them to work as well as possible? Thanks in advance for any help with this.

#6 ·
I use mine all the time. I used to drive a truck,so I can talk the talk with the drivers on #19. they just call me driver and I let them LOL. a lot of fun in the right situation.
I have ran with the trucks at night when doing IBA rides or just a hard ride. on a good night I can get out decent 3-4 miles ,and receive way farther than I can transmit. the big riggers have some serious amplifiers ,that makes it easy to hear. if you know what your listing to and how to use the squelch,you can listen for quite a ways.I usually find a big radio driver going the same way and get a good back door ,even when I cant get back to him I can hear him if somin is slipping in behind me.:whistle:
Durwood and I rode to the dragon and back ,we were talkin a couple miles away from each other at times. when the "skip" wasent in.
where you at guydoc??? moannnnn back..... you got a copy on stroker ? :redrolf:

Reactions: 04ctd
#8 ·
I wouldn't have thought they'd talk that far. Not bad.

As far as antenna tuning goes, do it guys. Any CB shop can do that for you in minutes.

And those stubby or hidden antennas will kill your range.

joe

#15 ·
Durwood and I rode to the dragon and back ,we were talkin a couple miles away from each other at times. when the "skip" wasent in.
:redrolf:
I can hear it now... comonnn stroker... wait up! :beer:

#7 ·
I use mine occasionally. One thing I did was to tune my antenna. I hooked it up to a tuner, and to get the best signal, I had to loosen up the allen lock screw, and raise my antenna rod about 1/16'.

#9 ·
I use mine somewhat often. I am not much on talking but like to be able to let others know what is going on or let the leader know if I need to stop for one reason or another.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#10 ·
Thanks for the replys

Thanks for the replies. Will work on mine asap. I am putting on quick detach trunk on mine right now so I am probably gone to hurt it even more with the extra coax used to put ant down lower when trunk is off. Just have to see.
Anyone have detach trunk and use cb? Im sure range is even less like this.

#13 ·
But you can't hear where the bears are.
Or that there is a back up , the road is closed.
I don't know how many times the c.b has kept me out of a backup.

#14 ·
When I ride with the local HOG chapter, we generally ride with at LEAST 2 baggers tuned to Channel 18, sometime 4 or more. If we've got more than 20 bikes we'll split up & make sure there are at least two in each group. We try to keep the Squelch at about 3 & that seems to work well for us...YMMV

#16 · (Edited)
I have several friends that have Ultras with CB's. So we use our CB's all the time when riding together.

Make sure your speaker switch is set so you can hear your cb on outside speaker if your not using your headset. If I rmember right push all the way down on speaker switch for everything on outside speakers, center switch posistion intercom inside helmet, CB outside speakers, switch all the way forward everthing in headset.

Set your squelch. Run your squelch up till you hear modulation then take it down a couple of bars. Most radio traffic in on 17 and 19. Most of the bikers I have met are on channel 1.

As far as tuning goes. These CB's and antennas are made for the bike. I doubt if you will be able to improve on it much. I have my own SWR meter. and have checked several bikes. You will need some special connectors to attach to the Harley CB. The PL connector on the Harley CB at the radio is smaller than what you would normally see for automotive or truckers.

The CB antenna in the Tour Pak uses a automotive am/fm connector as well. For best results your suposed to check the SWR as close the CB as possible. But with the hassle of removing the Batwing shell I just use the connector in the Tour Pak with a special adapter.

One more thing. You CB antenna is on the right side of the Tour Pak. Make sure you have the right antenna in the right location. The antennas are marked at the bottom am/fm and cb..

For operating without the Tour Pak you will have some lighting wiring connectors to disconect as well as the antennas. You could get the under the fairing radio antenna (in the harley acc catalog) and then relocate the CB down low on the rear fender (also in the catalog) But I think the relocated antenna will hit the trunk when you put it back on so you may have to swap the antennas back and fourth.

#27 ·
Here's the deal about the Harley Ultra CB radio, stock it's a pile of junk. I replaced the cable from the back of the radio. To that funny looking car antenna push in connection, it now has RG 58u all the way. And I tuned the antenna to the radio, and now I'm talking to people 50 miles away.
If you take the bike to a CB shop and ask them to make the radio talk they can do it.

#30 ·
You guys should start enjoying your motorcycle and the ride. All this superfluous "stuff" you have is not necessary. Just ride your bike and let it happen naturally. I know it's hard to get away from your sofa with drink holder, music, and whatever else you're used to but do it.

#33 ·
If you're referring to me, I'm no hater my friend. It's all good, ride what you like. I'm just asking at what point the joy of riding motorcycle overtaken by the need for home comforts. I ride horses but I don't see people looking for a place to set their coffee or hook up their gps/cb/mp3 player. We ride horse because we love to ride horses and enjoy being around beautiful animals. No hate here dude, I can appreciate what everyone rides.

#40 ·
I love it when people decide what someone should of shouldn't do with their motorcycle. I am all for freedom as individuals. Until I pay for someone's motorcycle and pay their insurance , gas , repairs etc i have no business telling them they should or
Should not have a coffee holder. The other thing that has always made
Me laugh are people who make comments like " you can't be a real biker if you ride a
Sporty". Wtf???? Just because I ride a wideglide doesn't make me any better or worse. Anyway, we are here to share and learn. Relax, drink a beer, smoke a joint or just plain RIDE!!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#42 ·
aschutz, assuming you have had the bike since new and we know someone has not removed the cb, the first thing the HD dealer would probably do is check to see what software your Harmen Kardon is running. They will stick in a software upgrade CD that you can do yourself and get the instructons from the Harley website. http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/Genuine_Motor_Accessories/advanced-audio-system.html

I have not done it in a long time but here is a youtube vid that can walk you though the making of the CD

You can also pull the front fairing shell (easy to do four screws plus the windshield screws). You can twist the shell out from behind the aux lights and unplug headlight wire) (I put socks over the aux lights so I don't scratch the fairing shell)

You will see the cb module sitting on top of the radio. you can pull the connector and check for corosion on both the CB and Radio.

#43 ·
We use them all the time on group rides and I get awesome range and overall quality of the transmission is better than my truck CB. My bike is a 2010 and the headset is good and the quality from what the guys on the other end tell me is as if I was sitting in a truck. On a long solo ride I did, it was helpful to be able to talk to trucker along the way.

#44 ·
CB can't talk

Not to be sarcastic but have you read the book?
1st turn the CB selection to "ON" its on the left switch at the grip.

Check the Squelch and select a channel. press the talk and call a trucker some nasty name and you should get a reply.
If this fails you will need to have instruction on operating the CB

I listen sometimes as our road captain talks to the tailgunner but I perfer to use hand signals.

The cb works about a mile apart units

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.