V-Twin Forum banner

Newbie: Want new pipes, Is shop being honest?

6K views 55 replies 19 participants last post by  <G Man> 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay, I said when I bought my '13 Super Glide (FXDC) that the pipes were just fine but now I'd really like to replace them with a set of Vance & Hines Short Shots and need to know what's entailed.

My local indie shop says that aside from the pipes I need a... can't remember what he called it but it was something along the lines of a tuner, or modulator or perhaps something like a Fuel Pack, which I'm still not sure what that is for.

He said you can't just slap a new exhaust system and have the bike run perfectly and that it will run way too lean and that the added cost is between $350-$500 (depending on brand, model) on top of the price of the pipes. So does this sound right?

Will quiet baffles change the performance?

Sorry for being such a newbie but I am here to learn from you guys.

JA

#44 ·
Hey thanks for a lot of great info guys. Lots of opinions out there. I was leaning towards a Fuel Pak but there are mixed reviews on it. I decided to go with the V/H Short Shot pipes, a Power Commander V and an S&S Stealth air cleaner.

I've decided that I'll get the parts and do it myself. and will cost half the shop price. I'm pretty good with nuts and bolts and basic wiring and following directions to the letter.

The place I'm ordering the PC-V from says they are Dynojet certified and tune the unit for you for based on your specific mods. Sounds good. I hope they get it right :)

JA

#45 ·
Sounds like a good choice.

Look here to find certified tuning centers in your area:
http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander_ex/TuningCenters/powercommander_tuning_center_and_dealer_locator.aspx

Install should be pretty simple. You can look here for downloadable maps: http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander_ex/powercommander_maps_installs_product_buy_options.aspx?mdlyrid=15-022EX&make=20&model=316&make-n=Harley-Davidson&model-n=Dyna Models&year=2013&mk=20&mdl=316&yr=2013

You might find something there close to your setup and save the money of getting it on the dyno for now. A good canned map will still be a big improvement over stock ECM flashing.

If you do plan on or think you might be doing any other mods in the near future, you may want to get those done before paying for the dyno tune, otherwise you will be making another trip and spending more $$$. There is also an "auto-tune" module available for the PCV, but I think the money is better spent on a good tune with a reputable tuner. Ask around before you decide to let someone tune your bike. Dynojet certified is good. Make sure they have a 250i dynamometer. Find someone who has dealt with them and would recommend them. Then ride with the peace of mind that you are not testing the heat limits of steel every time you ride.

#48 ·
Stroker, your words are right on in my opinion, This goes for any V-twin, Harley, Buell, Honda or Suzuki. Does not matter.

John Adams, If you want basic upgrade. do the air cleaner for better breathing in, Exhaust for breathing out, get a tuner and map it up.. You do not have to get it Dyno'd, It will help and that is the only way to get it perfect. If you Do the 3 things listed your bike will run as fine as you really need. But if you do anything to adjust the air flow you must do something to adjust the gas flow. It's not hard to understand. Think of it like this if you put out a cup of food for your dog they will eat it all and still be hungry. If you put out a whole bag of food they will eat until they are no longer hungry, and maybe a bit more. With the cup of food they will only poop out what their body does not need, and maybe not enough because they are starving. With the whole bag you can expect bigger poops.. So, you have to figure out the how much food your Dog really needs for him to stay healthy, and be your best friend. I mean the lack of poop laying around to get picked up is convenient but your Dog is dragging ass because he isn't getting the proper amount of nutrients. Would you just out more water with the cup of food and expect it to work? No. But if you put out the whole bag of food the Dog would need more water with the food, and both water and food would be unregulated and your Dog would not Hunt. So, is the same for your bike. If you put out more air and your bike will suck in more, but you haven't put out more fuel and your bike is starving. So, how do you feed your bike the proper ratios of air and fuel, so it make the correct amount of exhaust? A tuner and the proper map..

#51 ·
It's like going to the eye doctor for the first time in many years.You can see when you go in.And you can see much better when you come out.You never know what you were missing out on until you see a professional.Reading glasses are a cheap fix when bought at the drug store,but not even close compared to going to a qualified optician for the full work.

#55 ·
She's all done and I saved $700 by buying the parts online from reputable places, paying no tax or shipping and saved the labor too by installing myself. It's all just nuts and bolts so I decided to leave the shop out of it.

So, from stock '13 FXDC now had V/H Short shots, a perfectly mapped PC-V and an S&S stealth breather. It's running great, looks great and sounds like a Harley is supposed to sound!! Thanks for all the advice guys and Rendell, that was one heck of an analogy :)

JA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.