Supertrapp 2-1...........how many discs??? - Page 10 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Exhaust Discussion (aftermarket/OEM)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2007, 06:33 AM   #136 (permalink)
IronButt

ndmp40 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I dont see it? (The TQ dip).
ndmp40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2007, 06:49 AM   #137 (permalink)
IronButt

alperin1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamesd
Thanks for the feedback.

The build is 95", SE Flat tops, BigBoyz Heads, SE204, .030 Gasket, ST 2-1

The first tune was with 14 discs closed end cap by my request to control noise.

The second tune was 20 discs closed end cap installed backwards. He spent a total of 1.5 hours with the bike. Probably about an hour of "tuning" time.
Here is my Dyno sheet from basically the same setup with the exception of the pipes.

http://www.bigboyzcycles.com/alprindyno.jpg

After looking at your Dyno sheets, I think is is not bad, could be a little better but I also do not really see any serious problems, I would have a look at the AFR at the lower end. I think you could see a wee bit more with a better tune.

I currently have the Supermegs on my bike and it is running even stronger, I have yet to get numbers but I am shure it is even better than the dyno sheet from above.

04 FLSTCI
95 BB
BigBoyz ported heads
9.8:1 compression
SE204 CAM
SE HC pistons
ThunderMax with Autotune
SuperTrapp SuperMeg
SE Air Cleaner
alperin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:11 AM   #138 (permalink)
Banned

Location: Land Of The Free and Home Of The Brave, United States Of America
1711tab wants to know Dino or Syn?
SuperTrapp 2 - 1 Disc's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomotoxer
I think your tuner has a torque dip.......

Post powercurves with AFR and # of discs so that the world can see this "dip"

And no, there is no tuning advantage I know of by reversing the discs.
I don't claim to know everything..........but, I WAS taught by the man who worked with Dr. Moller, the inventor of the discs.
I sent you a enginge build with reguards as to how many disc's to use with closed and open caps.

Thank you..
1711tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:54 PM   #139 (permalink)
I'm gonna powder his nose

ohiomotoxer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Man that's allot of stuff going on.

For your machine I'd get the open end disc from summit racing and start at 9 I wouldn't go more than 12 because you are at max flow at 9.
See how the machine revvs out in the 3/4 to WOT throttle position.

So that said, you should be in the ballpark to final tune to the ambient conditions.

Once at max flow you are at the mercy of the headpipe, muffler and core design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1711tab
I sent you a enginge build with reguards as to how many disc's to use with closed and open caps.

Thank you..
ohiomotoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:23 PM   #140 (permalink)
IronButt

route66paul wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have heard many tuners like the supertrapp 2in1. But, it seems that many builders and machinists only want the thunderheader. I like the tunability of the supertrapp. Is the thunder header any better for a mid comp 95/98 build?

Bi-polar and loving it!!
Bi-polar and hating it!!
95" w/ KB pistons (flattops)
HQ575 cams
Atwood's Road Warrior Heads
HPI bored throttle body
.030 head gasket
SuperTrapp Supermeg 2in1
"43" points cover
TRW rear mount
obligatory Baisley Spring

Take you a glass of water. Make it against the law. See how good the water tastes. When you can't have any at all.

Just sayin..........
route66paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:23 PM   #141 (permalink)
Banned

Location: Land Of The Free and Home Of The Brave, United States Of America
1711tab wants to know Dino or Syn?
SuperTrapp 2 - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomotoxer
Man that's allot of stuff going on.

For your machine I'd get the open end disc from summit racing and start at 9 I wouldn't go more than 12 because you are at max flow at 9.
See how the machine revvs out in the 3/4 to WOT throttle position.

So that said, you should be in the ballpark to final tune to the ambient conditions.

Once at max flow you are at the mercy of the headpipe, muffler and core design.

Just read your reply. Thank you very much.

I talked to Bruce @ SuperTrapp Ext.121 and he said use 23 Disc's with the open end cap.

I'll be using 9 as you recommend. I know your dyno background / testing from the threads I've read and trust your recomendation!

Thank you again......

Tim
1711tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:48 PM   #142 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

BSKI wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had 20 and open cap, I called bruce and he told me that was the same as 30 and a closed cap and that there was not much out there that used those kind of disks numbers. He told me to drop to between 9 and 15. Dynoed the bike with 20 and open, then dynoed with 9 and open, picked up 10 ponies right away... dynoed the bike at 12 and 15 disks, ended up staying with 15 and open as it had the most stable AFR and and torque curves. Only picked up one pony between 12 and 15 discs the big diff was the AFR numbers, since I am carburated it was a big deal to get consistant numers across the entire RPM range..

Good luck,

SE Heads, 9.5:1 Comp, Jims Roller Rockers, Jims Large Axle Tappets, Woods W6H cam, Crane Fireball Hi-4E High-Performance Ignition System, Woods Performance 44MM CV and SE intake, V&H true Duals and V&H Ovals
BSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:57 PM   #143 (permalink)
I'm gonna powder his nose

ohiomotoxer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Bruce needs to ask Eddie in R&D for the flow testing data that I did, in that flow testing lies the TRUE answer......
ohiomotoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 01:33 PM   #144 (permalink)
FNG :)

TOBYCAT1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hi Ohiomotoxer,

You've helped me in the past Thanks again,just wondering I am currently using 12 disc's with the open end cap on my stage1 1340cu.I have read all the threads here and it looks like I should drop the number of disc's I,m using , I appreciate most of the Guys here are running twin cam builds,just wanting to know if 12-14 discs open end cap on a basically stock Evo is still a good range to work within?

Many thanks

Tobycat1
1995 FXDWG
New Zealand
TOBYCAT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 03:18 PM   #145 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

TOBYCAT,

In Ohio's shadow I couldnt even spell supertrapp, but I am running 15 on my evo. The biggest diff once you get it dialed in appears to be AFR as more disks lean it out while less richen, that is per the supertrapp web site.

9-15 disks will only get you in the ball park, you need to dyno tune your evo especially if it is carburated. Since your evo is stage 1 that means you have rejetted etc and you have no Idea what your AFR is now, it could be all over the place....

SE Heads, 9.5:1 Comp, Jims Roller Rockers, Jims Large Axle Tappets, Woods W6H cam, Crane Fireball Hi-4E High-Performance Ignition System, Woods Performance 44MM CV and SE intake, V&H true Duals and V&H Ovals
Old 05-13-2007, 08:30 PM   #146 (permalink)
FNG :)

TOBYCAT1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hi BSKI,

Thanks for the reply and advice,I should have added to my post that my Bike has been dynoed and the AFR setup for 12discs/open end cap. I thought I'd ask the question as it seems to me Guys here are running bigger builds with less discs than I'm using in my Supermeg?

Regards
Tobycat1
TOBYCAT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:00 PM   #147 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

When I had my bike dynoed, they started with 9 and then whent to 12. The dyno guy said thats it, there is no way it would get better. I told them go for 15 anyway and if it dont get better I will pay for there time, the dude freaked when it came out cleaner on the AFR and we picked up like 3 more horse and 1 or 2 foot pounds. Doesnt sound like much in the grand scheme of things, but you gotta make-em go all the way and then come back if need be.

Good luck on your set up

Old 05-14-2007, 09:49 AM   #148 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

justintyme73 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Wow, lots of great info in this thread! I am swapping an S&S 113 into my fxr, and the bike came with an older supertrapp 2:1, I believe its the 3 inch. I have been debating what to do for exhaust, I wasnt sure if even by adding discs that the primary tube and core design of the supertrapp originally made for an 80" would be too restrictive. After reading all this i am going to try it, What do you guys think I should try as a ballpark for disc endcap combo to start with--113" CI, 10:1 comp, S&S 600 cams, using a Mikuni 45, and I am in Ft Collins CO at almost 5000 ft elevation.
justintyme73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:41 PM   #149 (permalink)
IronButt

streetrod wants to know Dino or Syn?
This is a bit of a diversion from the intent of this thread.......Just wondering if someone could compare the db's of ST w/open end cap and ~ 15 disks to a Pro Pipe for an apples/apples build......say a mild 95" build with 10.5:1........close?
streetrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:06 AM   #150 (permalink)
IronButt

alperin1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by justintyme73
Wow, lots of great info in this thread! I am swapping an S&S 113 into my fxr, and the bike came with an older supertrapp 2:1, I believe its the 3 inch. I have been debating what to do for exhaust, I wasnt sure if even by adding discs that the primary tube and core design of the supertrapp originally made for an 80" would be too restrictive. After reading all this i am going to try it, What do you guys think I should try as a ballpark for disc endcap combo to start with--113" CI, 10:1 comp, S&S 600 cams, using a Mikuni 45, and I am in Ft Collins CO at almost 5000 ft elevation.
If I am not mistaken, this is a 2 into 1 where the headers meet a a angle of about 75 or 80 degrees and this is a bit different than the SuperMeg, also the 3 inch will not get you a good numbers as the SuperMeg with the 4" discs. However, you bike will not make too much noise for a 113. I would not run the 3" on this motor.

Hope you get more feedback.

04 FLSTCI
95 BB
BigBoyz ported heads
9.8:1 compression
SE204 CAM
SE HC pistons
ThunderMax with Autotune
SuperTrapp SuperMeg
SE Air Cleaner
alperin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links