ECM upgrade needed for slip ons only? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Exhaust Discussion (aftermarket/OEM)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2006, 11:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

bartmobile wants to know Dino or Syn?
ECM upgrade needed for slip ons only?

I just finished doing a major search on this topic, and I have found a few postings where some exhaust gurus claim that simply installing slip ons DOES NOT require an ECM upgrade.

Is this true???

I am really anxious to get some wild pig straight cut slip ons for my 06 Road King Classic EFI.

I just wanna order the mufflers, and install them myself in my garage, and that's it!

Please post any replies about what I should expect if I simply switch out the stock mufflers for the wild pigs with the touring 1.75inch baffles (recommended).
Can't wait to hear back from you!
Thanks,
JB!
bartmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2006, 11:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
FNG :)

05 Super Glide wants to know Dino or Syn?
bartmobile, I just went through this too. I just could not see spending $700 to $800 to purchase the parts and have the dealer install Slip On's, Stage 1 A/C Kit and do the ECM. I just wanted some more sound. I installed the HD 49 state street legal SE Slip On's. I had a friend help me and we did the installation in about 45 minutes. I spent less than $200 to do this. So far everything seems fine without the ECM Calibration. I'm not sure about using the Wild Pigs if you would need to do the ECM.
05 Super Glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

so, i could probably get away with just buying the wild pigs, installing them myself, and seeing how it goes?

i guess i'd be willing to hit the "stealer" up afterwards, but only if i had problems.

if anyone tried the wild pigs without doing an ecm upgrade, please reply!

thanks!
Old 06-06-2006, 02:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
I'm gonna powder his nose

ohiomotoxer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Adding a S/O and say a Arlen Ness big sucker AND living where you do you might get away with it in the summer months, but when ambient temps start to fall below 65 you may need an AFR recalibration. Get an add on tuner like the Dobeck (or similar) w here you can make adjustments as conditions change. Nothing is easier than pressing buttons or turning pots when needed versus having to download another map or re map to the conditions.

It all depends on how technical you want to get about tuning....
ohiomotoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

n8dc wants to know Dino or Syn?
im in the same boat here. I bought a set of B&E i think they are modded mufflers off ebay and i love the sound and the bike runs great and at 150 bucks i couldnt beat the price. Im just leary of hurting anything but like i said it runs fine. I just got off the phone with a buddy that owns a bike repair place and they love harleys and they have a dyno also. He seemed to think just pipes wasnt a big deal. Ill bee seeing him soon and ill find out more but i think im gonna put the louder pipes back on soon as i get time. Ive had time to ride to work but im building a deck on the house so no time to play in the evening. oh well the wife is happy
Dave
n8dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

pulled the trigger just now...

just bought these wild pigs slash cut pipes off Chris Higgs from his ebay store!
i'm having them sent UPS 2nd day air.

i'll get em on friday, and install them this weekend!

i'll post a report next week!

http://stores.ebay.com/Wild-Pig-Pipes

pipes and a t-shirt for 174.95 plus 40.50 for 2nd day shipping from florida to maryland. 215.45 total! ...if i need to change the computer later, i will, but for now, i'm going for a change in the exhaust note only!
-JB
Old 06-08-2006, 09:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

robert.bavolacc wants to know Dino or Syn?
05 SuperGlide - How do the HD version pipes sound versus SE ll? I heard that the HD 49 state legal version were just exact replacement mufflers, only with the script???
robert.bavolacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

robert.bavolacc, the HD Slip On's sound great. They really aren't any or much louder than stock but they are deeper. I can actually hear them while riding. From what I have found out you don't need to do the ECM calibration with just the HD Slip On's. I don't know how they sound compared to the SE II's. I think since the SE II's are a higher performance muffler you will need to do the ECM calibration and should probably add the Stage 1 A/C kit too.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

JerrySC wants to know Dino or Syn?
HD Slip-ons versus SE II Slip-ons

The Dyna catalog offers only the Harley Davidson script slip-ons now. They sound a little better than stock and say they have a slight performance increase over stock. Putting just these on doesn't require a download. If you look at the Screamin' Eagle Race catalog, the SEII's have a note saying fuel enrichment is required for them. If I was going to do the SE II's, I'd do the SE AC as well and then fatten the fuel for both. My dealer still has a few sets of SE IIs, but that's it.
JerrySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premium Member

wild pigs ON!

As stated, I installed my slash cut wild pigs on my 06 Roadking Classic. I DID NOT do anything else to the bike (no stage 1, no air cleaner, no ECU re-map, and no other performance upgrades).
I checked the plugs BEFORE running the bike with the new mufflers. Both plugs were white.

I love the sound of the new mufflers, and installation was a snap! The sound is exactly as described by others... Not too loud, but just deep enough and rumble-ly enough to make it sound like a harley!

I love it, and would recommend these pipes to anyone! Plus, the price is RIGHT!

I haven't pulled the plugs to see if they are still white, but i'm sure they are. I have very little popping on decel, but it is there. I kinda like it (especially while down-shifting approaching a red light).

I think I'll ride the bike like this for a good long while. If I DO purchase any other performance goodies for it, I'll probably just buy a Power Commander next, or some other ECU modifcation device.

Finally, I must report that I did not get the "promised" Free T-shirt with my pipes from Chris at Wild Pigs. I have emailed Chris about it, and he says he'll ship one to me.

Other than that, I'm loving life, and my bike finally sounds like the harely i've always dreamed of!!!

I'll let you know if I ever get the shirt!

-JB
Old 06-12-2006, 04:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

I'm glad things worked out. I'm sure your bike will be fine with just the Slip Ons.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Premium Member

lovin the wild pigs

after some cajoling (sp?), I finally got my t-shirt from Chris.

today, i rode up to the last day of the Gettysburg bike week fun!

i loved hearing the pigs all the way up and back.

we saw tons of bikes, and heard tons of pipes, but i think the wild pigs are the nicest sounding rumble-ing pipes out there.

l8r,
jb
Old 07-19-2008, 02:03 AM   #13 (permalink)

danderson7935 wants to know Dino or Syn?
This issue never seems to be resolved. Trying to decide if stock ECM can handle a set of slip-ons myself. Talked w/ dealers mechanic today who said just adding the slip-ons wouldn't require remapping or any other work. Just wish an answer could be found.
danderson7935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

BlockHead96 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm experiencing the exact situation! I am leaning heavy on the Rinehart Classic slip on's and can't get a definitive answer! So, I guess what I will do is, buy the Rineharts, install and see what happens. If I get the decel pop, then I guess I go all the way with the AC and SEST.. Answers to this question are 50/50. Ask 6 different people or stealers and get 6 different answers
BlockHead96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

bacon225 wants to know Dino or Syn?
This is my take on it.
The 100% stock motor is lean.
Adding anything that will help it breathe better will NOT make it richer but can and probably make it leaner. Yes the stock ECU will work with just slipons but you decide if you want it that lean. I myself don't like how lean they made it to get past the EPA regs so I fixed it.

For all that motorcycling is, one of it's greatest gifts is the ability to take us to places where that quote is the first things that came to my mind.
bacon225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement