Rinehart Exhaust for Road King : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Exhaust Discussion (aftermarket/OEM)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2005, 11:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

rdkingrider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Rinehart Exhaust for Road King

I currently have Samson Rolled Thunder slip-on mufflers along with a Stage 1 kit and ECM download on my 2004 Road King. I am going to put Rinehart True Duals on and was wanting to know if I would have to do anything else for them to run right. Some dealers tell me they will run fine with what I already have but others tell me I will need to tune it. I just dont think I will have another several hundred dollars left for a tuner. Also I would welcome any other opinions on the Rineharts such as sound and looks.
rdkingrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2005, 07:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

BigMike wants to know Dino or Syn?
Your bike will probably run a little lean. I'd suggest adding a Power Commander PCIIIr or PCIII USB. You can probably find one on ebay pretty cheap.
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 08:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
XLIII

MegaGlide wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just a little suggestion here. The slip-ons you have now are the best performers w/ duals, per the guys who know (not me) on this board. For $300 +/- you can get V&H Dresser Duals, use the Samsons with them and have the $ left over for a Race Tuner. Load a Dyna map with the race tuner and with a little adjustment it will run well and no decel popping. The Rineharts are a big inch, horsepower pipe and probably won't serve you as well. Plus they still have QC issues with hair on them.

Sherlyn Popelka DUI, Aggravated Assault, Fugitive Arrest Reports HERE:
http://www.sherlynpopelka.net/
MegaGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Dave what QC issues are you referring too with hair?
Old 08-24-2005, 06:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ridin' with the King

frankencat wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yeah, I gotta say. I love the sound of the Rineharts on my new RK and all but if I had to spend the money again I would look around a bit. They are a regular PITA to tune and my pipes are less than a month old and the chrome is pitting on them already. I am going to talk to the dealer this weekend and see what they say about it but man, for $650 you would think they would at least put a halfway decent finish on them. -Rant over.
frankencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 07:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
XLIII

Pitting chrome, purpling tips, cracking mounts/welds.
I'll let the Rinehart owners fill in any I've missed...

Old 08-24-2005, 09:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well those are some pretty bad reviews. I guess I will try some other dual setup. It is a shame though that the Rineharts have to sound so good.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member

Dogman4324 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I will give my two cents on Rineharts. I have had them for over two years on my RKC and have had none of the problems with welds, purple caps, and pitting on the chrome. I have over 8000 miles on them. I do notice that the mount on the starter needs to be mounted correctly to not cause damage to the mount. I have seen at least six different mounts fail for improper installation. If you force the mount and bend it, it will cause the pipe to rub on the lower part of the bottom of the seat pan causing undue stress and cracking of the mount. I aggree with others on the site that you need a race tuner for them to run correctly. I have had my bike dyno'd and have achieved 70 horse, 76 torque. I have a stock motor and s/e cleaner only. I live at 6000 feet and I could not be happier with the results. I never get the standard right side thigh heat anymore. But this is just my opinion.
Brian
Dogman4324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Dogman,
Are you saying that your Rineharts run fine without having a tuner? You said you have a stock motor with an air cleaner only.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ridin' with the King

frankencat wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankencat
Yeah, I gotta say. I love the sound of the Rineharts on my new RK and all but if I had to spend the money again I would look around a bit. They are a regular PITA to tune and my pipes are less than a month old and the chrome is pitting on them already. I am going to talk to the dealer this weekend and see what they say about it but man, for $650 you would think they would at least put a halfway decent finish on them. -Rant over.
Hey all, I need to follow up on this. I stated that my pipes were pitted earlier but as it turns out it was some kind of spludge that didn't come off when I washed the bike last time. I hit it with some never dull today and it's spotless. Also, the dealership had replaced the stock "performance" baffles with the "quiet" baffles. I went to the shop and and got the stock baffles and put them back in and it runs and sounds much better now. I'm pretty happy now with the quality of the pipes themselves but they do need a little tweaking to get the most out of them. As I said before, if I had it to do again I would look at other options. Those V&H true duals look nice and they have always made a great product IMHO. Anyway, next!....
frankencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 07:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Infrequent Poster

dwarthog wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am confused

There has been a lot of discussion on this board about the ability of Rineharts to make power. I have no personal experience with this particular exhaust and can only go off what I read here and elsewhere.

As anyone been following the buildup in American Iron on the 2000 Ultra?

They have been documenting a staged buildup of the bike and one of the steps was installing some Rinehart true duals onto the bike and doing some tuning. This was on an 88 inch motor and after that step was done, they dyno'ed it at 76 hp and 86 ft lbs of torque.

This month they increased the displacement to 95, and some SE heads, without adding a cam and ran the bike on the dyno again and now are showing it at 85 hp and 96tq.

Next month they are going to add a cam into the mix.

Now the question that is really bothering me here is, are they showing bogus results? These sort of numbers don't appear to be possible from what I have read on this board.

It would appear that the addition of a cam will get them over 100 for tq and probably close to that for hp.

Everyone here says it can't be done, that using Rineharts will not get you into that range of numbers for HP and TQ.

Are they showing a generous reading of the dyno results? Do some dyno's give more generous numbers than others?

For those that are following this buildup, doesn't it seem like they are coming up with some numbers that seem out of whack with what is being reported here?

Not trying to stir up a pot here, and I am in no way interested in getting Rinehart exhaust, I am happy with what I got, but I am curious about what others think about this.
dwarthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 08:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
XLIII

Not following the buildup, but nobody said Rineharts can't make power. It's WHERE they make it. Numbers are meaningless without knowing where the peaks are, etc.

Old 08-27-2005, 09:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Infrequent Poster

dwarthog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaGlide
Not following the buildup, but nobody said Rineharts can't make power. It's WHERE they make it. Numbers are meaningless without knowing where the peaks are, etc.
On the 88 build, the peaks were out there, about 5900 I would guess, on the 95 build the peaks moved back to around 3600 or so.

Next month they are throwing a cam at so it will be interesting to see what direction they go with that. I expect since this is a bagger build they will be going after torque.
dwarthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 05:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

8-UP wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkingrider
I currently have Samson Rolled Thunder slip-on mufflers along with a Stage 1 kit and ECM download on my 2004 Road King. I am going to put Rinehart True Duals on and was wanting to know if I would have to do anything else for them to run right. Some dealers tell me they will run fine with what I already have but others tell me I will need to tune it. I just dont think I will have another several hundred dollars left for a tuner. Also I would welcome any other opinions on the Rineharts such as sound and looks.
About 4 weeks ago I replaced A set of Thunderheaders with Rineharts, It took over 5 hr,s and I had to "cut grind fit" the things to git them to fit. After that the customer had the bike dinoed (04 FLHTCSE 103" w/race tuner). He also added a power comender, after the runs he lost HP & Torque. after about a week he ask me to take of the pipes and replace the Thunderheather. He was able to sell the pipes & power comender to someone else.
8-UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 06:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ghetto Blaster

1bdBagr wants to know Dino or Syn?
pipes

In another thread the 2-1 vs. true duals the noise/performance was debated...anyway, It would seem that a 2 into 1 system would ALWAYS out do a true dual because of it's ability to scavenge the exhaust more efficiently..and the rear exhaust exit out of the head and making the sharp bend and making a over 100 degree bend...what do the motor builders & tuning/dyno gurus think? Just wondering.

2000 Road King on Mulholland approaching the Rock Store. BEFORE and After at 7000' elevation in Central Ca USFS Scenic Byway
1bdBagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement