I Want A Deeper Rumble. Not Louder, Deeper. : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Exhaust Discussion (aftermarket/OEM)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2005, 07:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

joeychitwood wants to know Dino or Syn?
I Want A Deeper Rumble. Not Louder, Just Much Deeper.

The best sounding Harley mufflers I've ever heard were the stock slip-ons minus the baffles on my HD Sportster 883. Deep and rumbling, but not obnoxiously loud.

I've got Screamin' Eagle slip-ons (2003 version) on my Ultra Classic, and after 10,000 miles, they still sound like someone banging on a pile of tin cans. I wind up at the back of the pack when riding with my friends, because they sound so metallic and "blatty."

I've read archived threads until I'm blind, but I can't reach a conclusion. I want a deep sound, like a booming subwoofer, but not terribly loud, as I like to listen to music and converse while on the road.

Can anyone suggest a muffler which meets these criteria? Any idea why the 883 punched mufflers sounded so deep and my SE's sound so crappy??

Last edited by joeychitwood; 08-14-2005 at 08:04 PM.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2005, 07:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Soar like an Eagle

Road Glider wants to know Dino or Syn?
For slip ons try the Samson Rolled Thunder mufflers. Deep sound. If you are willing to go to a 2 into 1 the Vance and Hines Propipe also gives a real deep toned sound. I have had both and they are louder than any stock issued HD muffler but not too loud for me anyway. Also don't have any problem with folks ever mentioning they were too loud when doing group rides. Good luck,

May you have a day with the wind in your face and the rest of the world be at your back.
Road Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 08:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Vagrant

HD-LUX wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thumper

Ride behind someone with a big bore kit and 10.5:1 compression. Add cubes and raise compression for that big block thump-thump-thump.

Are you a Ducking Foof?
HD-LUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 09:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

Wizwill wants to know Dino or Syn?
Sweet Pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood
The best sounding Harley mufflers I've ever heard were the stock slip-ons minus the baffles on my HD Sportster 883. Deep and rumbling, but not obnoxiously loud.

I've got Screamin' Eagle slip-ons (2003 version) on my Ultra Classic, and after 10,000 miles, they still sound like someone banging on a pile of tin cans. I wind up at the back of the pack when riding with my friends, because they sound so metallic and "blatty."

I've read archived threads until I'm blind, but I can't reach a conclusion. I want a deep sound, like a booming subwoofer, but not terribly loud, as I like to listen to music and converse while on the road.

Can anyone suggest a muffler which meets these criteria? Any idea why the 883 punched mufflers sounded so deep and my SE's sound so crappy??
I just put a set of tunable Screamin' Eagle 2-into 1's on my new '05 Dyna. I had my doubts about the sound I would get before I did it. Imagine my surprise when I went with the full 20 disks and the end cap; a truly classic Harley sound! Actually, it was a little TOO loud for my taste and the system needed a little more back pressure (slightly rich by a quick read of the pipe). I pulled out 4 disks and toned it down a bit; I may remove one more. I gotta tell you, this thing really runs well. I also did a (real) K&N/SE A/C and dyno jet kit; drilled slide, 45 pilot, 80 main and needle at the fourth notch. it pulls REAL strong from the bottom all the way the top. I added a dual-disk front brake set up, SE fork brace and Progressive front fork springs about 2 weeks ago. Still need to do rear suspension and tires. Money!
Wizwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 09:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

bigr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Drag pipes. Put in a couple of "thumb screw" baffles and let er rip! Can't beat the sound. Lose a little in the low end grunt department but on the top end it runs great. And it sounds great and costS about $150.00.
mY $0.02
BigR.
bigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 01:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

sfarson wants to know Dino or Syn?
Would concur with the V&H ProPipe suggestion above. One of the deepest, lowest pipes I've heard. And agree.. this is what sounds best - low and deep versus loud.
sfarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 06:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

Glide Rider wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had a set of Python IIIs on my Glide for a while. They had a nice deep tone, but were too loud for my liking. They were beautifully made and very popular where I was living at the time (Elizabeth City, NC) - a lot of people liked them. You may, too.

I switched to the slash up SEs and liked them. When my RK comes in next month, I intend to put the SEs on it.
Glide Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

joeychitwood wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-LUX
Ride behind someone with a big bore kit and 10.5:1 compression. Add cubes and raise compression for that big block thump-thump-thump.
I agree that size matters, but it doesn't explain how my 883 sounded so good with stock baffle-less mufflers.

Does anyone have experience with the Rush mufflers? Supposedly, they have a nice deep sound.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Habitual carpet muncher.

Road Bag wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood

Just got back from Sturgis. 3050 miles in 8 days. In our group of 4 Baggers, my bike was the quietest and the fastest. I had my stock mufflers recored by Fullsac Performance. My 3 friends were running Samson rolled ovals, loud and blappy. SE slip ons, loud and tinny.And a V+H 2 into 1, Loud as hell. After riding next to me for 8 days,the 2 guys with the slip ons are both sending their stock mufflers to Fullsac.The guy with the 2 into 1, well, he's a Redneck. Loud and crappy is no way to tour our beautiful country. Contact these guys. www.fullsac.com
RB
Road Bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Hellbound Train

csoday is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Thunderheaders Accept no substitute

'03 FXSTBI 103" Stroker
112 hp -- 121 tq
100% S.E.

My V Twin Gallery
csoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

hmc_retired wants to know Dino or Syn?
Python III
Old 08-15-2005, 09:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Scubabiker wants to know Dino or Syn?
I picked up a pair of pipes off a guy in MI on EBay, They are just the stock mufflers that have the baffles cut down and the "end cap" removed. I got the starge three which is louder than stock but what I love above them is that they are the deepest sounding pipes/Mufflers I've heard. truly an incredible sound.
Scubabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
I paid.........did you??

MaineUltraClassic wants to know Dino or Syn?
Wild Pig slip-ons are the best deal........hands down. $145 + $20 shipping and a free t-shirt. They have 3 styles available, and have a great deep sound. When cruising they are quiet enough that you can still hear the radio and talk to your pass.

http://search.ebay.com/wild-pigs_W0Q...fsopZ1QQfsooZ2

I had them on my '96 Road King, and I just transferred them over to my '05 Ultra Classic.

Good Luck,

Steve

95" Powered by Big Boyz Heads, Woods Cams, Doherty PowerPacc w/ Powervents,
10:1 CR, D&D Fatcat 2-1 QB, Hillside 46.5mm TB, & Cometic Gaskets
Built by Me, Tuned by Bean
MaineUltraClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 12:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
D_T
Renegade

D_T wants to know Dino or Syn?
V&H Basic slip-ons are deep but not loud.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

hoglou wants to know Dino or Syn?
Rush pipes

I just ordered some Rush 2.0" baffled slash cut pipes.. Check out their video and turn up the speakers, I think they may be the right "gurglebass" sound....

Hoglou
hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement