V & H Big Shots vs Thunderheader : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Exhaust Discussion (aftermarket/OEM)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2002, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

fatboyryder wants to know Dino or Syn?
Question V & H Big Shots vs Thunderheader

Hey All- My first post. Let's see if this contraption works. I have a stock 02 fatboy and am planning to go to an S & S Super E and pipes. I'm undecided about choosing the staggered big shots (with crossover/powerchamber) or a thunderheader. I like the looks of the V & H pipes better and from what i read they deliver better performance than 2 into 2. After reviewing previous threads i get the impression that they are also very loud. I have no problem with louder, but reading "after cruising for an hour my ears were numb" i wonder. which are louder, thunderheader or staggered big shots? Which are better performers? Why do the thunderheader heat shields cost so much, and do you need all three pieces? Sorry for ramblin' I'm writing a book here!

Last edited by fatboyryder; 09-20-2002 at 05:42 PM.
fatboyryder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2002, 07:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Is this a boring Question?
Old 09-22-2002, 07:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Idears Available

logical wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yes, how dare we respond slow slowly to the new guy's question.

First of all, welcome to the forum ryder. I also have a Fat Boy. I have the V & H Pro Pipe 2:1.

Anyhow, I suspect that there are not all that many people out there that have heard the new V & H pipes with the crossover...they have only been out a short time. It's wasn't a boring question...we are generally facinated with even the simplest details about our bikes and pipes are a common topic here. I personally like the sound of the Thunderheader but am not crazy about the looks (I think the Pro Pipe is the better looking 2:1) . I like the Big Shots as far as 2:2 looks go but am not sure exactly which ones you are looking at. I believe they have something called "Bigshots Long" which puts the exits to the pipe well rear of your ears and will make a big difference. I thing a user called JFScheck has them and if you search for a thread he started called something like "my fatboy is here" (he's new and doesn't realize it's Fat Boy, not Fatboy), you will find pictures of them...I think they have the crossover.
V & H Monster Ovals
V & H FP3 FuelPak
logical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2002, 10:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
DR EVO

otterbob wants to know Dino or Syn?
ive got the bigshot longs and with the baffles in the sound is defenitely managable. they dont get loud until you get right into the throttle. the sound is behind you so they are "deceivingly" louder than you think. everyone says they sound awesome. i like the looks, fit, finish, and performace gain.
otterbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2002, 08:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Thanks for the replies, didn't mean to sound impatient. I was interested in the Big Shots Staggered, which have slash down tips that end in the vicinity of the rear axle adjuster-still a bit behing your ears, but not much. Any info on the performance differences between the V & H 2 :1 vs. the Staggered Big Shots w/ crossover?
Old 09-23-2002, 08:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

By the way Otter, I like your "Dr EVO" plate.
Old 09-23-2002, 04:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ulf Engborg wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally posted by logical
Yes, how dare we respond slow slowly to the new guy's question.

... I believe they have something called "Bigshots Long" which puts the exits to the pipe well rear of your ears and will make a big difference...
I've ordered a 03 Fat Boy with the staggered Big Shots, and I have no idea when delivery will take place. Before March was my requirement. After I ordered it I began to reconsider the choice of pipe of the same reason as you mention above. Do you know that it makes a big difference or is just an assumption? I might choose the Big Shots long then.
Ulf Engborg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2002, 09:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Performance-wise, the newer BigShots Staggered and Longs both have the hidden crossover, so performance would seem to me to be at least similar-don't know for sure. Sound-wise, it seems logical (as Otter said) that the sound from the Longs would be more behind the rider...once again, don't know for sure.
Old 09-24-2002, 02:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
FNG :)

Chili wants to know Dino or Syn?
i am not familiar with the bigshots, but from my use of thunderheaders for my two bikes, i am very pleased with thunderheaders performance...

also shakes the ground like anything with its deep bass sound...plus the added benefit of being a 2-1 ....

if not thunderheader, would recommend the python (which i think is made by v&h)...if you decide to go 2-2
Old 09-24-2002, 05:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

bikinaz wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've got the Thunderheader. A huge improvement over stock, and the V&H Short Shots that I use to have. As far as loud? We let's just say my wife knows I'll be home about a half mile before I really am.
Old 09-26-2002, 06:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Blkbike wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have the Thunderheader powdercoated black. Sounds deep and also exits far enough back that it doesn't numb the eardrums after a few hours of cruzin. Performance seems to be great although I have no dyno info yet. Maybe soon. The V&H 2into1 also sounds good. It was my other choice but I would have hated to powdercoat that good looking chrome pipe.
Blkbike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2002, 12:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Fat Boy Al wants to know Dino or Syn?
HOLY CRAP!

I went from a set of SE slip-ons to V/H Big Shot Staggereds. When they (the guys from service at my local HD shop) started it up, my wife and I looked at each other and went "uh oh!" DAMN loud!
Now that ain't necessarliy a bad thing. But wow! HUGE difference. I was setting off car alarms all over. The sound at idle is just incredible, it sounds so nice. Even my buddy with his White Bros series E had only good things to say about it.
As far as performance, it's only been one day. More on that later.
It looks awesome and the fit and finish are great!
Fat Boy Al is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2002, 06:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

Ulf Engborg wants to know Dino or Syn?
Re: HOLY CRAP!

Quote:
Originally posted by Fat Boy Al
I went from a set of SE slip-ons to V/H Big Shot Staggereds. When they (the guys from service at my local HD shop) started it up, my wife and I looked at each other and went "uh oh!" DAMN loud!
Now that ain't necessarliy a bad thing. But wow! HUGE difference. I was setting off car alarms all over. The sound at idle is just incredible, it sounds so nice. Even my buddy with his White Bros series E had only good things to say about it.
As far as performance, it's only been one day. More on that later.
It looks awesome and the fit and finish are great!
Well , just when I thought i had decided about the Big Shots staggered my dealer points me a warning finger and says that putting on anything but SE interfers with the 3 year warranty. Even though it's unlikely that something actually would happen, it's worth a second thought anyway. Any opinions about this?
Ulf Engborg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2002, 10:00 AM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

vnemous wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just installed Python Quick Strikes on my 2002 Heritage. Same as V&H but about $140. 00 less money. I avoid saying cheaper. Love the sound. Much different with or without the bags on though. Had V&H straight shots and they are a different sound maybe a little louder. Friends say it sounds like a big block.
vnemous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2002, 01:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Blkbike wants to know Dino or Syn?
Don't let the dealers give you the "Violates your Warranty" crap. If you have a good service manager he'll work with you if something goes wrong.
Blkbike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.