Thunderheaders : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Exhaust Discussion (aftermarket/OEM)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2004, 09:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

ratrider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thunderheaders

Just had to post this. I have read a lot of posts here and there about Thunderheaders turning blue, don't like the looks, less than perfect finish etc. Well, I pulled into the local Harley dealer today about 15 minutes after closing and saw 2 bikes still on the sidewalk in front of the entrance- employees park them there sort of on display. Hey, both had Theaders and forcewinders like mine so I stopped to look. When the bikes' owners came over I asked whats in them things? Both were not stock and the guy who did his own build told me he had 11:1 CR, ported heads, 660 (can't remember brand ) cams, S&S carb. Sounded very nice. But, what he said when I asked why Theaders is my point. He said "They make the power." So there, I like mine.
ratrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2004, 09:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
What did I do now?

Biker Bry wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have nothing against thunder headers, they are just butt-ugly
Old 07-02-2004, 11:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

JagmanR wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Bry
I have nothing against thunder headers, they are just butt-ugly
But they're ugly in a cool sort of way
JagmanR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2004, 12:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
FNG :)

brianp wants to know Dino or Syn?
I wouldn't care how much power they made, they still look like a Jr. High School shop project that should have gotten thrown in the dumpster. There's to many good looking, sounding pipes out there to even consider them.
brianp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2004, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hellbound Train

csoday is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp
I wouldn't care how much power they made, they still look like a Jr. High School shop project that should have gotten thrown in the dumpster. There's to many good looking, sounding pipes out there to even consider them.
When you are posing, the only thing that matters is looks and sound. Get yourself some Arlen Ness glitter.
When you are riding, performance is all that matters and Thunderheaders are what it's all about. Don't worry, you won't be seeing them very long as they pull away from you.

'03 FXSTBI 103" Stroker
112 hp -- 121 tq
100% S.E.

My V Twin Gallery
csoday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2004, 03:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

barry1967 wants to know Dino or Syn?
If they were available for 04 sportys when I got mine, that's the pipe that would be on it. No question about it. I have not found a pipe that makes more power or sounds as good. Now, if they only made them for cars too....
barry1967 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2004, 04:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Low Life wants to know Dino or Syn?
I like mine! It's makes great power. I bought black for the look I wanted. No bluing is just a plus.
Low Life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2004, 04:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
FNG :)

brianp wants to know Dino or Syn?
Lucky for me.
brianp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2004, 05:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Cryptoboy wants to know Dino or Syn?
I got the HK Xcellerators 2-1, like the looks much better, heatshields are built-in, and have pretty much the same power as the Thunderheaders (they pumped out 1-2 hp more according to their website). Oh and they sound awesome too! Now that my wife is back from Hawaii (lucky woman, 2 weeks in HI!) with the camera, I will post pics soon!

GO NOLES!!!!!
Cryptoboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2004, 06:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
What did I do now?

I seen a Heritage with a Thunder header on it, made me shiver. If I wanted power, I'd be more likely to use a Super Trapp or White Brothers 2-1 tuneable. Maybe even a propipe, but that darn Thunder header looks like a propipe with a Tomato can welded to the back of it.
I'm sure it performs well, but damn, I would never be able to get used to it.
Old 07-03-2004, 08:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Location: Forty miles from wood, fifty miles from water, and ten feet from hell.
Mark1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Black thunderheaders do look good on a rat bike. Beyond that...
Old 07-03-2004, 09:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptoboy
I got the HK Xcellerators 2-1, like the looks much better, heatshields are built-in, and have pretty much the same power as the Thunderheaders (they pumped out 1-2 hp more according to their website). Oh and they sound awesome too! Now that my wife is back from Hawaii (lucky woman, 2 weeks in HI!) with the camera, I will post pics soon!

Please do Crypto...these are on my short list as well. Anyway you could send a sound file? Compare them to anything?
Old 07-04-2004, 09:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

bama88 wants to know Dino or Syn?
04 Train, 95 Stage II Big Bore, Thunderheaders, smooth and solid power 30 to 70 in 5th, what more can you ask for on the street? Took csodays advice from earlier post, thanks for the advice. Not into show, just go.
bama88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2004, 10:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

All these comments have merit, but I have to say after an extensive search for the right 2-1 pipe, (I'm set on going that route), still nothing sounds better than the Thunderheader. It sounds mean at the same time it has that mellow well tuned sound. I have asked at least a dozen recent enthusiasts, wrenches as well as long time riders yesterday, ten of the 12 said they have Thunderheaders and easily get past the looks, (in fact the look has grown on them, it is just that "a look", a Thunderheader look that says performance and sound). I have spent a great deal of time and money dressing my Fatboy up the way I want it, both cosmetics and mild engine mods, so I ideally want the pipes to match the effort, so if there were a 2-1 pipe that sounded as good as TH and performed as well, (which may be easier to find), I'd likely buy it. Right now the Fatcats, HK Xcellerators, (hear they are out of stock till the end of the year for a redesign and haven't heard the HK's), and the Propipe are on my list, although the Pro sound's I've heard weren't very good. It was a stock 88 so maybe that was the issue, cause others seem to tout the excellent sound of the PP. I'd also like to hear some Hooker 2-1's. I went to a HD Independence day event yesterday, over 250 bikes at least, and still didn't get to here the Propipe, the HK's or Hookers, seems EVERYONE has VH BSS. That speaks well for the pipe, but a turn off for me personally. So for now the three or four TH's I listened to yesterday were just about the closest thing to a perfect exhaust note I've ever heard. The D&D Fatcats were close.

Oh yeah currently have VH Straighshots....wonderful sound!
Old 07-04-2004, 06:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
What did I do now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagmanR
All these comments have merit, but I have to say after an extensive search for the right 2-1 pipe, (I'm set on going that route), still nothing sounds better than the Thunderheader. It sounds mean at the same time it has that mellow well tuned sound. I have asked at least a dozen recent enthusiasts, wrenches as well as long time riders yesterday, ten of the 12 said they have Thunderheaders and easily get past the looks, (in fact the look has grown on them, it is just that "a look", a Thunderheader look that says performance and sound). I have spent a great deal of time and money dressing my Fatboy up the way I want it, both cosmetics and mild engine mods, so I ideally want the pipes to match the effort, so if there were a 2-1 pipe that sounded as good as TH and performed as well, (which may be easier to find), I'd likely buy it. Right now the Fatcats, HK Xcellerators, (hear they are out of stock till the end of the year for a redesign and haven't heard the HK's), and the Propipe are on my list, although the Pro sound's I've heard weren't very good. It was a stock 88 so maybe that was the issue, cause others seem to tout the excellent sound of the PP. I'd also like to hear some Hooker 2-1's. I went to a HD Independence day event yesterday, over 250 bikes at least, and still didn't get to here the Propipe, the HK's or Hookers, seems EVERYONE has VH BSS. That speaks well for the pipe, but a turn off for me personally. So for now the three or four TH's I listened to yesterday were just about the closest thing to a perfect exhaust note I've ever heard. The D&D Fatcats were close.

Oh yeah currently have VH Straighshots....wonderful sound!

Don't let us piss in your Wheaties, I have nothing against them. I even think they sound pretty good.
You don't have to defend them, just be happy with your decision regarless of what I think. You don't even want to start to know what I think about $h!t. it would scare you!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.