Exhaust chirping : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Exhaust Discussion (aftermarket/OEM)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2004, 04:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

deuces wants to know Dino or Syn?
Unhappy Exhaust chirping

just put rinehart true duals on my rk custom and they are making a high pitch chirping noise from a idle up to around 2000 rpm, does anyone know what might be causing this and what i can do to fix it? thanks
deuces is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2004, 09:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

kurt1305 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Mine did the same thing after I put Vance & Hines slip-ons on my RK at about 600 miles. I put the stockers back and it did the same thing. I noticed my brother-in-law's FLHT does the same thing. The dealer claims it is a normal noise, so I just got used to it.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Huge Member

fourstar wants to know Dino or Syn?
Go to the BUB website and play the Rinehart video. That guy's pipes chirp too.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

xrystl wants to know Dino or Syn?
A chirp from the exhaust generally comes from a leak in the system , it needent be a big leak to create the sound !! .
Old 06-02-2004, 06:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
What did I do now?

Biker Bry wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrystl
A chirp from the exhaust generally comes from a leak in the system , it needent be a big leak to create the sound !! .
Not true,
I have a Heritage Softail - it chirps, and I assure you, there is no leak. This is confirmed by my dealer, and myself

My father has a Road King, and it chirps - with Wild Pigs and SE pipes.

This has got to be a normal operating charicteristic of the TC88 engine
Old 06-03-2004, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
ijustwannaridemy03rkc

jnajp wants to know Dino or Syn?
This may be totally unrelated, but I had a chirping noise also from my pipes at idle. Turns out it wasn't the pipes at all. It was vibration causing a rubbing of the mounting bracket against the rubber pads, under the bags. Hold the pipe still, or wedge something between the rubber and the metal and see if it stops.
Old 06-03-2004, 09:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
What did I do now?

Biker Bry wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnajp
This may be totally unrelated, but I had a chirping noise also from my pipes at idle. Turns out it wasn't the pipes at all. It was vibration causing a rubbing of the mounting bracket against the rubber pads, under the bags. Hold the pipe still, or wedge something between the rubber and the metal and see if it stops.
I'd buy that on my Fathers Road King, but My Heritage is directly bolted. There are no "rubber pads" in the exhaust at all.
Old 06-03-2004, 09:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

HDTony wants to know Dino or Syn?
Wow, I was just coming on to post about this, I have my rinehart true duals and hear this chirping also. The rally wierd thing I have noticed though is it is much more pronounced when on a concrete road as opposed to an asphalt road.

I havee gone over all the bolts and all are tight so I dont have a leak that I know of. What sucks is I love the system and love the sound, but the chirping makes it sound like a Damn 79 VW bug. theres got to be some fix for this?
HDTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 08:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

DHEATH wants to know Dino or Syn?
This "chirp" you all are refering to, does it sound something like a light "spark Knock" maybe? I have a 04 Electra Glide Classic and I don't hear it idleing, but at any speed, I hear something like a spark knock which increases with throttle. Sorta like the noise that comes from a styro foam cooler virbrating. High pitch chirping.

Danny

2004 Electra Glide Classic
MSF Certified "RiderCoach"
DHEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 09:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
FOG

trooper113 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHEATH
This "chirp" you all are refering to, does it sound something like a light "spark Knock" maybe? I have a 04 Electra Glide Classic and I don't hear it idleing, but at any speed, I hear something like a spark knock which increases with throttle. Sorta like the noise that comes from a styro foam cooler virbrating. High pitch chirping.
Yup....that's a pretty good description of what I hear on my '03 FXD. I'm still not convinced it's not my drive belt. My indy said it was too tight and likely the cause of the chirping. My bike was chirpless for a couple of days after he adjusted the belt, but now it's back to the same ol' chirping.

T113
trooper113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 09:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

DHEATH wants to know Dino or Syn?
It sure is annoying!!

Danny

2004 Electra Glide Classic
MSF Certified "RiderCoach"
DHEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
FNG :)

Rick04FLHT wants to know Dino or Syn?
I can’t believe how common this is! I expected you guys would suggest I have my hearing checked. Instead, I see a lot of you have the same issue.
I have an 04 Electra Glide and I have the same chirping sound. “Sorta like the noise that comes from a Styrofoam cooler vibrating. High pitch chirping”. Perfect description trooper113!
I tried checking all of the bolts, I wiggled the pipes to see if the rubber bumper was squeaking and I even put a little white lithium grease on the rubber. Still, I hear the chirping.
Now that I hear it, it’s bugging me. I hope there is a fix out there.
Rick04FLHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
FNG :)

ryanbr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ihave same noise on my 10 egc

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
ryanbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

95 FXST wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a V-H Propipe. When I first installed it, it chirped and sounded like a VW Bus. The tip only had two screws, so I added a third to give it a more rigid mount. No more chirp.
95 FXST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

goldie1951 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hi all,
On my 99 RKC the rubber exhaust mounts under the bags "chirp" ever now and then. I usually spray some WD 40 on them and it goes away. I like the idea of the Lithium grease though. I bet that lasts way longer .........goldie
goldie1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement