Prevent pipes from blueing?? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Exhaust Discussion (aftermarket/OEM)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2003, 01:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Ross00 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Prevent pipes from blueing??

Did anyone ever use any of the products like Chrome Guard or Kreem Blue Shield to prevent pipes from blueing? (See page 154 in J&P's 2003 catalog)

Getting ready to install a new exhaust and I would like to know if either product works.
Ross00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2003, 01:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

xxxflhrci wants to know Dino or Syn?
The best way to prevent blueing is to make sure that your bike is not running too lean. I have never used those products you are asking about, but I have done a virtually free trick that I learned from a old timer about how to keep new pipes from blueing.......First, coat the inside of the pipes with several coats of high heat paint, barbacue grill paint works good. I usually spend about a day putting coats on the inside. Second, fill the inside of the pipe up at the head with grease. Really fill it up with a heavy coat about 4 to 6 inches into the pipe. When you start up the bike, it will smoke alot, don't be alarmed it is just the grease burning. The grease burns and leaves a thick coat of carbon on the pipes that acts as an insulator along with the paint. Be sure to clean the outside of the pipes with alcohol or Windex before the first start, or you will have nice fingerprints forever burned into your pipes.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 01:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

JimmyK wants to know Dino or Syn?
What brand of pipes? Some will blue because they are cheap. Good ones will not blue if the bike is properly tuned. If you are running lean I would rather have the pipes tell me than the engine down the road. You do not need to mask good pipes if the bike is running proper.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Ross00 wants to know Dino or Syn?
They are HD Screamin Eagles 2 into 1. Have sheilds up to the "Y" point.
Ross00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 02:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

JimmyK wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have better than 13k on my SE's I bought in May. No trace of blue or any discoloration whatsoever.

The bike is a Carb and tuned proper to the stage 1 configuration.

SE Chrome holds up pretty good.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
In disguise

FXR2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've been told that there are ways to reduce blueing, but that nothing will prevent it altogether. And I've heard that nobody's chrome is invulnerable to all blueing. My stock HD pipes blued. My current Cycle Shacks blued. I've seen what must be examples of every manufacturer out there turn blue on somebody elses' bikes. The ones that use full length heat shields still turn blue--you just can't see it. Back in my Triumph days, I heard that wrapping a coil of small diameter copper wire around the pipes at the head would draw off enough heat to prevent blueing. I did this when my bike was new and the pipes still turned (some) blue. Better than if I hadn't done it all? Who knows. The only real way to determine the effect was to go through several new sets of identical lpipes, with and without any preventinve measures, but I didn't have that kind of money.

That said, I'm intrigued by some of the suggestions that xxxflhrci made.

"...coat the inside of the pipes with several coats of high heat paint, barbacue grill paint works good."

I wish I had tried this the last time I changed pipes as it sounds like it might help. If the paint didn't burn off (and I've had VHT brand paint burn off of car engines eventually) then maybe the heat would be forced far enough down the pipe to lower in temperature before exiting and reduce blueing. Maybe. Does the paint last in there? Do you use spray or pour in liquid?

"...fill the inside of the pipe up at the head with grease. Really fill it up with a heavy coat about 4 to 6 inches into the pipe. When you start up the bike, it will smoke alot, don't be alarmed it is just the grease burning. The grease burns and leaves a thick coat of carbon on the pipes that acts as an insulator along with the paint."

The question I have about this is does any of this grease, just outside the head, get pulled into the combustion chamber before it burns. I've heard horror stories about that ceramic coating for pipes flaking off and getting sucked into the exhaust port causing major engine damage. Other than that, I'd wonder how much of the grease goes away and how much solidifies under sudden high heat into a blob (as opposed to melting and smoothly and evenly coating the interior) in the pipe that partially restricts exhaust flow. High temp, disc brake grease, synthetic silicone grease, or moly chassis grease?

Understand, I'm not taking pot shots--I'm intrigued. I'd just like a little more discussion. Blueing is such a major, much asked question that if anything worked, it would race throught the bike community and we'd all know about it--for that matter the pipe companies would do it at the factory, patent the process, and advertise it like crazy to their advantage. The fact that they haven't tells me that there is no fool proof method of preventing blueing of chrome exhaust pipes.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

xxxflhrci wants to know Dino or Syn?
FXR2, I sprayed the paint in. I used nearly a whole can. I'd spray, let it dry and respray. Took me about a day to use a whole can. As for the grease. I used just cheap grease. Can't even tell you what kind. As far as how much grease stays. I have taken the pipes off after 1k's or miles and you could scrape away a noticeable layer. As for the paint. It probably ain't gonna burn off, because it's under the grease.

I have done this on several bikes with good results. I do have a before and after story. I put a set of Run Roader cheapo 1 3/4 inch pipes on my '77 Ironhead before I heard of the grease/paint trick. They blued in about 30 miles. I rode 'em that way for several years. I got another set of the same pipe and did the paint/grease thing. They have only turned slightly gold about 4 inches down over the past 20k or so.

Last edited by xxxflhrci; 12-08-2003 at 12:12 AM.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 02:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
poor scooter trash

roadking outlaw wants to know Dino or Syn?
With baffled pipes I would worry about paint flakes or grease sludge clogging the baffle. Again not taking pot shots but that would kinda concern me.
roadking outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 07:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
In disguise

FXR2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yes, the clogged baffle issue would make me wonder as well as the possibility of something getting sucked onto the head. Since I wrote that large post above, I did some more research and found someone else say that painting the inside with high-temp paint would help. His second step was to use a motor oil soaked rag and swab it around on the inside (after the paint dried sompletely), then install the pipes and lwt the heat burn the oil into carbon (instead of the grease). At least I've heard virtually the same story from two different sources. If I hadn't bought new pipes last summer, I'd probably try at least the paint part of this.

Still, it seems like if there was a good way to prevent blueing, the pipe manufacturers would do it and then advertise their blue-proof pipes like crazy. Or, the entire motorcycling world would know about the home remedy by common knowledge.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Halffast wants to know Dino or Syn?
There's no way to prevent it completely. That's why manufacturer's cover it up rather than try to prevent it. You can only prolong the inevitable. FXR2 has done just about everything you can do to prevent it and he still has some discoloration. I do the same process on my new pipes with about the same result. I wouldn't worry about clogging a baffle. Mufflers that are packed with fiberglass eventually get burned out. I wouldn't worry about a little paint or grease. Sucking it through the exhaust port is a different concern. Albeit very minor. The biggest chance for it to happen is during startup.
Halffast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 10:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

supersport wants to know Dino or Syn?
I tried the Dyno-Coat ceramic crapola on a set of Cycle Shack staggered duals slash cuts. The stuf was messy and time consuming. The pipes didn't blue but turned light gold near the head. I've since installed Samson Street Sweepers when I went to 95". Coated the insides with an aerosol teflon lubricant, thick with the consistency of honey once the carrier evaporates. These pipes are quite thin walled and have yet to blue. Somewhat of a gradient gold tint near the head. The anti reversion cones I'm running may also help out a bit.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Fixxer of broken things

NINJANED wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just a tip before you coat the inside of your pipes.
1 Remove baffles if possible
2 Clean the in side of the pipes to remove any foreign matter(Brake Cleaner)
3 Spray your favorite paint/coating inside,try to apply evenly
4 Allow proper dry or flash time
Hope this helps
Old 12-22-2003, 12:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
Hellbound Train

csoday is reading this now saying WTF is this?
All Chrome blues eventually. Black ceramic does not

'03 FXSTBI 103" Stroker
112 hp -- 121 tq
100% S.E.

My V Twin Gallery
csoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 05:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

chux sway wants to know Dino or Syn?
How many out there remember when the TEMPERATURE of your burn could be seen in the color of the pipes?

Yellow was rich.

Blue was lean.

The temperature near the port determines the color the pipe turns.

My older Triumphs would be perfect (no color) when ther mixture was right on (temperature).

Then again, these days with my Harley I have to rely on the complete shield to hide the mixture / temperature problems (on my carb bike).

The same discoloration exist on the new injected bikes too?

I guess if its a Harley with common intake tract, you need full shields ( or Black Ceramic like csoday suggests).

....... now I feel better.

My $0.02.

chux sway
Advertisement