Newbie: Want new pipes, Is shop being honest? - Page 4 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Exhaust Discussion (aftermarket/OEM)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 12:40 AM   #46 (permalink)
IronButt

John Adams wants to know Dino or Syn?
Awesome advice G-Man. Thanks! I think I'll stop here on the mods though.
John Adams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #47 (permalink)
Who Cares

any4xx wants to know Dino or Syn?
I know I'm a bit late here, as it sounds as if you've made up your mind. But... I've run the PCV, both with and without the auto-tune module, on a few bikes. I really like it. The only thing that keeps me from wanting to run one again is that I understand that it takes the knock-sensor out of the game. I was always a bit afraid of getting some less-than-high-quality fuel along the road somewhere and having a two hundred miles of knocking and pinging until I could fill up again. My current bike is brand new so I won't be doing anything to it for a few months. But I've already decided on the Power Vision, as I understand that the flash-tuner won't disable this feature like the PCV does.

However, I'm no electronic genius and am only regurgitating what others who profess to be knowledgeable have told me. I heard that from enough trusted sources, however, that I believe it. I want my timing-retard to function properly if needed.

Tom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Adams View Post
Hey thanks for a lot of great info guys. Lots of opinions out there. I was leaning towards a Fuel Pak but there are mixed reviews on it. I decided to go with the V/H Short Shot pipes, a Power Commander V and an S&S Stealth air cleaner.

I've decided that I'll get the parts and do it myself. and will cost half the shop price. I'm pretty good with nuts and bolts and basic wiring and following directions to the letter.

The place I'm ordering the PC-V from says they are Dynojet certified and tune the unit for you for based on your specific mods. Sounds good. I hope they get it right :-)

JA
any4xx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #48 (permalink)
IronButt

Rendell wants to know Dino or Syn?
Stroker, your words are right on in my opinion, This goes for any V-twin, Harley, Buell, Honda or Suzuki. Does not matter.

John Adams, If you want basic upgrade. do the air cleaner for better breathing in, Exhaust for breathing out, get a tuner and map it up.. You do not have to get it Dyno'd, It will help and that is the only way to get it perfect. If you Do the 3 things listed your bike will run as fine as you really need. But if you do anything to adjust the air flow you must do something to adjust the gas flow. It's not hard to understand. Think of it like this if you put out a cup of food for your dog they will eat it all and still be hungry. If you put out a whole bag of food they will eat until they are no longer hungry, and maybe a bit more. With the cup of food they will only poop out what their body does not need, and maybe not enough because they are starving. With the whole bag you can expect bigger poops.. So, you have to figure out the how much food your Dog really needs for him to stay healthy, and be your best friend. I mean the lack of poop laying around to get picked up is convenient but your Dog is dragging ass because he isn't getting the proper amount of nutrients. Would you just out more water with the cup of food and expect it to work? No. But if you put out the whole bag of food the Dog would need more water with the food, and both water and food would be unregulated and your Dog would not Hunt. So, is the same for your bike. If you put out more air and your bike will suck in more, but you haven't put out more fuel and your bike is starving. So, how do you feed your bike the proper ratios of air and fuel, so it make the correct amount of exhaust? A tuner and the proper map..
Rendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #49 (permalink)
IronButt

FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this? FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Adams View Post
Hey thanks for a lot of great info guys. Lots of opinions out there. I was leaning towards a Fuel Pak but there are mixed reviews on it. I decided to go with the V/H Short Shot pipes, a Power Commander V and an S&S Stealth air cleaner.

I've decided that I'll get the parts and do it myself. and will cost half the shop price. I'm pretty good with nuts and bolts and basic wiring and following directions to the letter.

The place I'm ordering the PC-V from says they are Dynojet certified and tune the unit for you for based on your specific mods. Sounds good. I hope they get it right :-)

JA
Sounds like a much better choice and you will have the flexibility to adjust for any other changes you might make in the future...

Not saying anyone here would ever make changes...

FWIW, correctly adjusting A/F when making intake/exhaust changes makes for a "happier" motor that runs better, longer.

IMO, why pay what a HD costs and then run it lean?

An aside - long ago, I used to see guys change Honda exhausts but not re-jet. After a while, they'd be back in because they'd hear the exhaust popping and wonder wtf.

Burned exhaust valves from running lean. Wasn't a matter of "if" but "when." Eventual failure rate was 100 precent. From then-on I always paid attention to correct a/f ratios anytime I made a change.

Of course then, we made WOT runs up and down the street to "read" sparkplugs... change jets up/down and back again.

Had spoked rims, chain rear drive, master links, Bates bags, points, Sportster knee... (little nostalgia) and Stroker Jim was tuning the playing cards/clothespins on his tricycle for a deep, but not too deep sound.
S&S stuff.
Baisley Pro Street heads
+ Level 2 Mojo.
Badass pipe.
Torq Monster Motorworks
spec'd & built, extra "Special Sauce."
142HP - 148TQ SAE / 145/151 STD. More there.
Jimmy crack corn and I don't care.
FXDRYDR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #50 (permalink)
Banned

Blacklinebrett wants to know Dino or Syn?
The paks still working good.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by Blacklinebrett; 01-08-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Blacklinebrett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #51 (permalink)
Premium Member

jam65 wants to know Dino or Syn?
It's like going to the eye doctor for the first time in many years.You can see when you go in.And you can see much better when you come out.You never know what you were missing out on until you see a professional.Reading glasses are a cheap fix when bought at the drug store,but not even close compared to going to a qualified optician for the full work.
jam65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 06:45 AM   #52 (permalink)
?????

msocko3 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklinebrett View Post
Ok, but your still a butt sucker

If you say so, why don't you just go crawl off into a corner and lick yourself.

Red Bike Powered By Head-Quarters 120.. Easier Clutch Pull By ClutchWIZ.com
2012 GL1800 Hannigan.

Last edited by msocko3; 01-11-2013 at 06:48 AM.
msocko3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 06:57 AM   #53 (permalink)
IronButt

cata5803 wants to know Dino or Syn?
a:
Quote:
Originally Posted by msocko3 View Post
If you say so, why don't you just go crawl off into a corner and lick yourself.

Too Funny
Old 01-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #54 (permalink)
Banned

Blacklinebrett wants to know Dino or Syn?
You guys, always wif da funnies.

Blacklinebrett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #55 (permalink)
IronButt

John Adams wants to know Dino or Syn?
She's all done and I saved $700 by buying the parts online from reputable places, paying no tax or shipping and saved the labor too by installing myself. It's all just nuts and bolts so I decided to leave the shop out of it.

So, from stock '13 FXDC now had V/H Short shots, a perfectly mapped PC-V and an S&S stealth breather. It's running great, looks great and sounds like a Harley is supposed to sound!! Thanks for all the advice guys and Rendell, that was one heck of an analogy :-)

JA
John Adams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #56 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

<G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike
Good deal! Glad you got what you wanted.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I'm an Elite Post Whore! The Evil Clown said so.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.