What is the best sounding exhaust? - Page 7 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Exhaust Discussion (aftermarket/OEM)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #91 (permalink)
IronButt

Burch753 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I dont think my 2-1 sounds bad...

Constantly under revision...
Burch753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #92 (permalink)
Banned

LowRiderCustom wants to know Dino or Syn?
Lucy didn't your mama teach you not to walk barefoot through the grass?

You never know what you'll step on....

And now I know why you missed what I said since your eyes are shot from the bleach and you're missing quite a few brain cells from using the shock treatment!!!!!

Last edited by LowRiderCustom; 09-10-2012 at 05:28 PM.
LowRiderCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #93 (permalink)
Banned

webco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Fire Dog View Post
I'm thinking about moving away from the V&H Shorties into a longer better sounding exhaust but not sure which kind/brand.

What is some of the better sounding exhaust for my 2000 HD Dyna Wide Glide?
Goto a bike night and listen to some exhausts. The best sounding one is the one YOU like best.

webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:48 AM   #94 (permalink)
IronButt

2000FiveOh wants to know where he is and how he got here
Quote:
Originally Posted by webco2 View Post
Goto a bike night and listen to some exhausts. The best sounding one is the one YOU like best.

And it probably won't sound the same on your bike unless you have the exact same engine build. The tune will also make a difference in sound. A bike running a little richer will sound totally different than a leaner tune. There's too many variables involved.

Too many newbies chasing sound these days. I'd be more concerned about the tune afterwards. Some of these exhausts, even slipons, raise heck with tune afterwards. Back in the carb days it was pretty easy to deal with. With the CL system even a little reversion changes how the ECM responds to the O2 signal. If someone is chasing sound they need to be prepared to chase a good tune too.

Sound is subjective. A well tuned bike is factual.
2000 Road King, 96", K&N AC, Andrews 26G cams, Pre-EPA SE Slip Ons, 3:37 Primary gearing, EFI to carb, 105,000 and still rolling
2000FiveOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #95 (permalink)
IronButt

stevent wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you want cheap n dirty just knock the plug out of a set of stock slip-ons. They have a flat disc about halfway down the center that directs the exhaust flow into the sound deadening material. Take a good size drift, chunck of rebar or one inch pipe and knock that out of the way and your good to go. Basically a straight through but still with the stock restriction where it goes through the baffle and the sound deadening material to quiet it down a little. The sound is a good snarling bark, not the "deep Harley rumble" which IMO sounds like a dump truck idling.

Sounds like a Shovel or Pan with drag pipes, in fact it's probably the oldest trick in the book to gain a little sound and flow. Plus stock tapered duels are a dime a dozen on Craigslist so they're easy to find, if you don't like the result you can always go pay $300+ for something with a name on the side..

CVF-FCV
stevent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #96 (permalink)
merry old soul

Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this? Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this?
What I have learned:

1) You-tube videos do not give a indication of what the pipes sound like in real life. Translation: I thought my VH true duals would sound great.

2) Everyone has their own opinion of what sounds best and most think theirs do. "Mine sound great"...well I can't say that. I honestly thought my previous pipes sounds better, but they were in tough shape (chrome peeling\rusting) and they didn't come close to the sound of my cheap cycle shack pipes on my 80' shovel.

3) Asking someone to hear their bike is a good idea until you get a throttle blipper\show off.

4) If you don't have anything nice to say, just try to ignore. (translation: I just ignore certain people whom "I have formed an opinion on" after reading many of his posts...)

rkc
Old 11-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #97 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

ucbruce wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just mounted the V&H Power Duals head pipes, and utilized my existing Rush slip-ons with 2" baffles, as part of my 103 Stage IV upgrade. I was going to do the Pro Pipe Chrome but I got a great deal on the Power Duals so I went with that. The sound is unbelievable and nothing compared to the sound with the stock head pipe. Of course this is a much more powerful build and pushing a ton of air. It sounds bad ass and isn't that what we're all really looking for? I've always been pretty partial to V&H though.

2011 FLHTK
SE 103 Stage IV Upgrade
SE Pro Super Tuner
SE Heavy Breather
Yellow Band High Flow Injectors
V&H Power Duals
Rush Slip-ons

Last edited by ucbruce; 11-12-2012 at 10:18 PM. Reason: addition
ucbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #98 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

ucbruce wants to know Dino or Syn?
Best Sounding Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by webco2 View Post

Well said! And a very good idea...

2011 FLHTK
SE 103 Stage IV Upgrade
SE Pro Super Tuner
SE Heavy Breather
Yellow Band High Flow Injectors
V&H Power Duals
Rush Slip-ons
ucbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #99 (permalink)
merry old soul

Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this? Road King Cole is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I hope the OP decided on what pipes to get by now.

Fun though re-reading this thread.

Seems like I actually miss "the honor student". I was getting a kick out of reading his very respectable "intelligent conversations".

I only got into one "conversation" with him and I quickly learned I was outmatched and decided not to even attempt it again.

rkc
Old 11-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #100 (permalink)
Barney Fife - Fake Biker

<G Man> is still riding a stock bike <G Man> is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road King Cole View Post
I hope the OP decided on what pipes to get by now.

Fun though re-reading this thread.

Seems like I actually miss "the honor student". I was getting a kick out of reading his very respectable "intelligent conversations".

I only got into one "conversation" with him and I quickly learned I was outmatched and decided not to even attempt it again.

rkc
Obviously.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I'm an Elite Post Whore! The Evil Clown said so.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #101 (permalink)
IronButt

lucille wants to know Dino or Syn?
Had to dig around a little bit and was astonished to see our 'beloved' LCR had been banned.
He had seemed to mellow out a bit ......

Hey <G Man> ....... that's a blue bike in your avatar, is it not?
lucille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #102 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille View Post
Had to dig around a little bit and was astonished to see our 'beloved' LCR had been banned.
He had seemed to mellow out a bit ......

Hey <G Man> ....... that's a blue bike in your avatar, is it not?
He had a serious relapse. He was back to slobbering all over himself.

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement