American Custom Tone-Flex System? - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Exhaust Discussion (aftermarket/OEM)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

huskerbob is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59panhead View Post
A 2-1 SYSTEM WILL TAKE SOME BULK WEIGHT OFF THE BIKE, NOT TO MENTION RUN A HELL OF A LOT COOLER WITH OUT THAT CAT. CONVERTER

AND IF YOUR BIKE IS STOCK....THEN IT NEEDS TO BE TUNED RICHER AS ALL NEW H-D BIKES DO !

RIGHT NOW ITS A LOW HORSE POWER OVER-HEATING SMOG-PUMP !

A HARLEY MOTOR WILL ALWAYS RUN BETTER WITH A WELL MADE 2-1 SYSTEM....

RB RACING HAS A NEW LSR SYSTEM OUT WITH A NEW MUFFLER THEY DESIGNED FOR LESS NOISE, AND LOTS OF POWER!

JUST BECAUSE THEY HAVE CHROME ON THEM AND THERE CHEAP, DOESNT MEAN THERE ANY GOOD ! AND 90% OF ALL THE AFTER-MARKET SYSTEMS BEING SOLD TODAY FALL INTO THIS CATAGORY

LEED.....DONT FOLLOW!
OK I'll bite but remember I'm a recreational rider, not a M/C mechanic or tuner.

After I drop $600 - $1,000 on a RB Racing LSR system, how much more am I going to have to spend on all the other goodies such as air cleaner, fuel mgmt system, tuning, etc. before this beast of a scooter you've described is ready for the road???

huskerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Huh? What?

BlueCamel wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerbob View Post
Glad you were able to get the header pipe installed. Any decision yet on slip-ons?
Not a single thought. I think I want to hear/see several but finding them on a bike like mine is difficult in this area. Maybe I just need to quit worrying so much and pick a set.

Then again, I'm not sure exactly what I'm after here... weight reduction? Power? Sound? Looks? I'm fairly sure I can't have it all (WTF why not?!) so I need to figure out what I'm going for first.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
Motorhead

Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this? Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I have them on my Road Glide and I had a set on a Fatboy. Without baffles they are kind of nasty. But with the mid-tones in, they sound fine.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:00 AM   #19 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

MikeA wants to know Dino or Syn?
AC Tone-Flex System - Headers, Exhaust & Baffles

Quote:
OK I'll bite but remember I'm a recreational rider, not a M/C mechanic or tuner.

After I drop $600 - $1,000 on a RB Racing LSR system, how much more am I going to have to spend on all the other goodies such as air cleaner, fuel mgmt system, tuning, etc. before this beast of a scooter you've described is ready for the road???
I gave these guys a call since there are all over the place in biker magazines and I am on a very limited budget (starting with "as close to zero as I can get). I want to control the heat without going into the stock pipes and eliminate the catalytic converter.

I'm not all that impressed with their lack of answers, but at 50% less than a Fuel Moto setup, I might cave in. Things I heard from their tech or salesrep (wasn't too sure about the guy I spoke to)...

1... No fuel map needed since he claimed the wide band O2 sensor will "automatically adjust the ECM by itself."
2... Without the catalytic converter in the head pipe, the heat output will be reduced by at least 200 degrees.

Even if your not a mechanic, you should look into Fuel Moto, a V&H Complete systems and even a Bub setup.

Hope this was helpful.

Last edited by MikeA; 06-22-2012 at 06:03 AM.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #20 (permalink)
FNG :)

Steve_H wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just got a 2012 Ultra last week, and knew from the time I started it on delivery that the exhaust had to go. I only sat in traffic a couple times with the stock exhaust but the cat area was extremely hot, could feel the heat on the back of my thigh even with my feet on the boards. The stock sound also sucked.

I ordered V&H monster rounds because I had heard them and also loved the look. While I was waiting for them to arrive, in boredom after work Monday night I pulled the stock mufflers off and started the bike with just the open factory header. I was amazed at how quiet it was, for a completely open exhaust, due to the cat being in there. That night I ordered the American Custom header.

My main reasons for ordering were cost, the fact that the fit is guarenteed to be perfect since it's a factory header, and the fact that of the other headers I checked out, I truly like the factory exhaust heat shield look the best, I am not a fan of the X-over on the V&H power duals.

Ordered Monday night, arrived Wednesday afternoon, which was amazing. I installed wed night, and when I started the bike with that open header, it was ear splitting. I then installed the stock cans (since I was still waiting on the V&H cans I ordered the week before) and was truly impressed with the improvement in the exhaust note even with the factory mufflers.

Put the V&H monster rounds on them last night, and they're incredible. Super deep rumble, no cracking or popping, and they sound absolutely awesome at idle and at speed.

So, long story short, I have no experience with their mufflers, but their header is a great product, even better if you consider the $100 credit they will give you for shipping them your stock header back (I'm keeping mine just in case...)
Steve_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #21 (permalink)
Seasoned,Retired Rider

bob2002 wants to know Dino or Syn?
You may want to rethink that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCamel View Post
My understanding is the 2011/12 is a closed system with O2 sensor and it is not needed to remap/retune. The ECM will take care of this change.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #22 (permalink)
Seasoned,Retired Rider

bob2002 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had there modified pipes and there not bad for the money but your not going to make any more power with them just a bit better sound.IMHO

a
Quote:
Just came across this company's web site and found it interesting. Searched this forum for info but most of the threads were dated and provided limited info so thought I'd check again.

I have a 2011 Streetglide with the 103 CI motor

Does anyone have any recent experience with this company (American Custom) and their exhaust system?

If so:

What has your experience been with the company and their products?

Are you using just their slip-on's or did you change out the head pipe also?

What's your overall opinion/satisfaction level with the product?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

Bob
Old 06-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #23 (permalink)

docrob wants to know Dino or Syn?
Whoa! Two claims touted - 1... No fuel map needed since he claimed the wide band O2 sensor will "automatically adjust the ECM by itself."
2... Without the catalytic converter in the head pipe, the heat output will be reduced by at least 200 degrees.
1 The ECM will NOT adjust for both pipes and high flow air cleaner. And if you do one, then you need the other so a remap is required.
2 Rubbish. I have carried out considerable testing on 2009/2011/2012 bikes and they all run very hot even with no cat.
docrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #24 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

dlpuette wants to know Dino or Syn?
All AC does is remove the cat from the stock header - plus it'll cost you $300 (or you can send them your stock header and get $100 back for it). Mighty ex$pensive for a simple cat removal!

I bought a take off head pipe from a local dealer for $80 and found a guy experienced in cat removal who will do it for me for $50. Total outlay will be $130 AND I keep my original head pipe in case the EPA decides to get uppity down the road. just my .02

I'll try it with the stock cans and see how it goes. I def am looking for more sound but not too loud. If the cat gutting/stock pipes are still too quiet, I have the take offs from my retired 98 Road King that I'll drill a hole or two in the two plugs and see what that nets me. Hopefully I'll be happy and avoid the insane prices of some of these slip ons. And if that doesn't pan out I may consider the AC units with a mid rumble baffle. I'm hoping that by keeping the stock AC I can avoid having to pop for a tuner. I'll keep an eye on my spark plugs and see if it's running too lean. Am hoping the ECF will adjust okay.

Retired - 98 Road King - Sinister Blue (my best friend for 14 years!!)

Last edited by dlpuette; 06-27-2012 at 11:58 AM.
dlpuette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #25 (permalink)
Huh? What?

BlueCamel wants to know Dino or Syn?
Well, as I said it was my understanding only that no map adjustment was needed when ONLY removing the cat AND using stock exhaust & intake. Where did I get that info? The AC web site, the AC sales rep, and if you google the product from other users. It seems only the people who have done intake, headers, and exhaust are also going with a fuel management system.

Is that actually true? Damn if I know. What I do know is i am taking it in for a look after having done the job and run a few hundred miles.

I'm sure the truth lies somewhere between the fanatics who feel a stock bike needs aftermarket fuel management and the marketing lit provided by AC. As always, after I get it looked at I'll post back what I find.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #26 (permalink)
IronButt

huskerbob is reading this now saying WTF is this?
American Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCamel View Post
Well, as I said it was my understanding only that no map adjustment was needed when ONLY removing the cat AND using stock exhaust & intake. Where did I get that info? The AC web site, the AC sales rep, and if you google the product from other users. It seems only the people who have done intake, headers, and exhaust are also going with a fuel management system.

Is that actually true? Damn if I know. What I do know is i am taking it in for a look after having done the job and run a few hundred miles.

I'm sure the truth lies somewhere between the fanatics who feel a stock bike needs aftermarket fuel management and the marketing lit provided by AC. As always, after I get it looked at I'll post back what I find.

Yes, please do post back after you find out how your changes worked out.

Right now it seems the more I learn the less I know.........

huskerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #27 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

dlpuette wants to know Dino or Syn?
As an update: Last Friday I installed my cat-delete stock header. HUGE difference in heat production!! Actually dramatic!! And the stock pipes actually sounded like a Harley (albeit a quiet one). So I threw on my drilled out Road King pipes (from a 1998) and it sounded decent at idle and cruising, barks loud on hard pulls. Not bad, but not fully satisfied. So today I sent in my stock 11 mufflers to American Custom to work thier magic. Ordered the Mid Rumble baffles as well. I'll let you all know my impressions when they come in next week. Nice thing about them is that they take em back no questions asked in a 30 day window with a full refund. Total cost shipped was $267.95. Could have gone with the Fullsac recore kit but it seems to be the same mod as the AC mod at the same price, plus you have to do all the cutting of your pipes yourself. What you lose is the ability to swap baffles like the AC system. (nice end caps though!)

As far as the tune thing goes, who knows. There is soooo much information and misinformation out there - all presented as fact - that has my head spinning!! You'd think this would be an easy laws of engineering/Laws of physics type of thing!! But everyone has an opinion and each side claims full command of knowledge and fact! The guys at AC claim the EFI system has enough range to dial in the tune with only a cat delete and thier muffs. The guys at Nightrider feel confident in saying the same thing (Steve Mullen is an awesome guy by the way!!!) But I met a guy who's a certified Harley MAster Mechanic and the in house tuner at a dealership and he says I'll slowly destroy my motor if I don't do something to modify the stock tune (all these opinions consider running the the air cleaner)

Once my head stops spinning i'll decide on a course of action.

Retired - 98 Road King - Sinister Blue (my best friend for 14 years!!)

Last edited by dlpuette; 07-04-2012 at 07:47 AM.
dlpuette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:00 AM   #28 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Is there such a thing as too much research?

Quote:
Yes, please do post back after you find out how your changes worked out.

Right now it seems the more I learn the less I know.........
I totally agree with this statement.

I've tried to go a different route and asking some of the tech's at different HD Dealers in my area. The wide range of answers made me think to just not get anything done.

There were folks that said you ALWAYS need to get a stage-1 cleaner, some said never use a fuel map because it doesn't talk to the ECM at all, others said you have to dyno the bike no matter what to make sure you don't destroy the computer or exhaust system altogether.

I'd pull my hair out of my head if I didn't shave it already!!!

I haven't read past this thread, but I am about to, so here's 2 new pieces of information...

1. I hate to post from another forum, but take a look at this thread... http://www.hdforums.com/forum/tourin...tom-pipes.html and pay considerable attention to the posts from JohnScrip, it may give you some more insight, but he just has slip-ons - not the headers.

2. I spoke to some techs at Brother's HD, they are East by North East of the folks at A.C. and they claim to have done lots of the research for them on their pipes and header system. They told me that the bike will always run hot because it is lean, so they recommended a race tuner + Stage-1 Air Cleaner (the old, more fuel and more air scenario) thought they did say you could always try it out without it first. Again, you talk to any other random dealer's service folks, they say anything from BS, to you're warranty will be null and void, and not one of them agreed.

So yeah HuskerBob, I really do feel the same way.

Last edited by MikeA; 08-02-2012 at 03:03 AM.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:07 AM   #29 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpuette View Post
As an update: Last Friday I installed my cat-delete stock header. HUGE difference in heat production!! Actually dramatic!!

:
:
:

So today I sent in my stock 11 mufflers to American Custom to work thier magic. Ordered the Mid Rumble baffles as well. I'll let you all know my impressions when they come in next week.

:
:

As far as the tune thing goes, who knows. There is soooo much information and misinformation out there - all presented as fact - that has my head spinning!!

:
:

But I met a guy who's a certified Harley MAster Mechanic and the in house tuner at a dealership and he says I'll slowly destroy my motor if I don't do something to modify the stock tune (all these opinions consider running the the air cleaner)

Once my head stops spinning i'll decide on a course of action.

So dlpuette, what's the verdict to date with the setup and what specifically did you go with?
Old 08-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #30 (permalink)

ganno57 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I gutted my own cat before installing the AC modified mufflers. Removing the cat alone I did feel only a small increase in power with the original stock mufflers. The loss of heat was a much bigger issue. I sent in my muffler to be modified. When I received the "Bomber" mufflers I also purchased the "touring - mid rumble" baffles. Their bomber mufflers are stock mufflers with no baffles and a adaptor plate welded in the end. Maybe $5 worth of material. They are loud and the bike ran like crap. There is zero backpressure with their conversion. When I installed the touring / mid rumble baffles everything changed. The bike runs very well and the sound is good. It does not feel like there was any increase in power over the cat removal. A little louder than stock but with a better tone. I have no issues with the sound level when taking an all-day ride. They are a cheap solution to purchasing a set of mufflers for $500 which is insane.

The only issue I have is with their customer service. I want a little more sound so I called them and asked for a little guidance with either making the holes a little larger or adding a few more holes. The asshole said that is why we make them like that and that they offer no advice for what I was looking to do. Kind of rude and sarcastic. It was a shame he was not in front of me at the time, I would have gladly given him a lesson in manners.

2011 Street Glide 103
ganno57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement