True duals better sound? How? Why? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Exhaust Discussion (aftermarket/OEM)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 08:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

ocezam wants to know Dino or Syn?
True duals better sound? How? Why?

Lets not waste time with the torque loss debate here. I've heard it. I've seen the dyno sheets. I understand fuel scavenging. I'd simply like to hear from owners or fans on HOW they sound better. Has anyone heard the same bike with the same mufflers with stock and then true duals head pipes? How do they differ?

2008 FLHTP 103"
SE203 cams, Rush True Dual Headers,
Supertrapp Fatshots, S&S Air Filter
PCIII Oil Cooler, ABS, Sta-bos
ocezam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2011, 08:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Geoff of NV wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have an 06 Standard that I was running Samson Fishtails with the stock head pipe. When I put the Fulsac true dual conversion on it, I was surprised that it got louder. After giving it a little thought, I can only conclude that the exhaust pulses in the stock header tended to cancel some of the sound. Am I right? Damifino.
Riding with friends,
Geoff of WA
Geoff of NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Basic Hog Rider

xxxxxkwizard wants to know Dino or Syn?
To my ears, each cylinder makes it's own destinctive sound when it fires. With a muffler on each side of the rear tire, it separates the sound even more. IMO it magnifies the potato, potato sound that makes the Harley so unique. I went with the turn downs to even amplify the sound even more.
xxxxxkwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Hawk63 wants to know Dino or Syn?
On my 06' Ultra I had Rhinehart true duals !! Super sound and had power...nice and throaty..much better than the stock lawnmower sound...IMO
Hawk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Mike02 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I replaced my stock with Vance true duals and HO cans and love the sound.. deeper and more balanced on each side. It also cleans up the engine some by removing that crossove piper to the RT side.
Mike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
"Jane you ignorant slut!"

ceraaa42 wants to know Dino or Syn?
If your talking to say, put the Rinehart true dual muffers on their head pipes, then on the stock ones, most won't fit. The ones I've looked at have a bigger header pipes over the stock sized slip-on mufflers, even though the mufflers look the same.
SE255 cams
SE Air cleaner
SERT
Fatcat Quiet baffle
Bagger brace
Dyno report; http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/dr...et-baffle.html

"Ya fargin' sneeky bastage!" Roman Troy Moronie

43 member
ceraaa42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Leaping wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceraaa42 View Post
If your talking to say, put the Rinehart true dual muffers on their head pipes, then on the stock ones, most won't fit. The ones I've looked at have a bigger header pipes over the stock sized slip-on mufflers, even though the mufflers look the same.
Ditto on the above statement. I have Rinehart true duals (Love them). I was at my buddys garage and he had taken his stock pipes off to put on some screaming eagle mufflers and I was going to put his stock pipes on my 06 Ultra just to see how they would sound with stock pipes. The header pipes on the true duals were too large for the stock mufflers.
Leaping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
FNG :)

Yellow53Chief wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hi,
Exhaust sound from true duals vs combined single or combined duals, has a lot to do with personal taste. The science of the sound of true duals deals with full exiting of all exhaust sound note frequencies with no cancellation of frequencies that is offered by combined single or combined duals. With true duals you can hear each exhaust pulse in all its glory with no loss of sound richness. Do true duals ultimately sound louder? Yes, but whether or not they sound better has much to do with preference. Do you like the sound of true duals or combined duals? Do you like the color blue or the color red? The questions are similar in that everybody knows their personal answer to the questions but nobody knows exactly why. My old Indian runs a combined single exhaust mainly for convenience I think, and the relative toning down of the exhaust keeps the Police off of my back. Yellow53Chief
Yellow53Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

03 Roadking wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had V&H ovals on my 07 SG not too loud but after I put V&H true duals it was louder. Not overly loud but louder. Looking to do the samething with my 2010 Limited.

USAF Retired
03 Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Blackened wants to know Dino or Syn?
Kind of apples to oranges here, but I used to run Python 3 slip on's on the stock header pipes, bike was "sorta" loud, but had a really annoying (IMO) higher pitched bark when you got on it. After those I went to a Samson Original big guns slashers, and thats when things got LOUD. I mean theres loud, and then there's "Samson" LOUD! Has a much deeper tone, and when you get on it the exhaust sounds like a big block running glass paks...sets off car alarms at idle.

The volume got old pretty fast though, looking for something quieter now for the neighbors sake, possibly a 2-1 with a baffle, but already know I'm going to miss that rumble.

'03 FXSTB - SOLD (GBNF)

'94 FXR

'14 Street Glide Special
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Jake707SBFMC wants to know Dino or Syn?
IMO best sounding true duals are thunderheaders they sound like a big block chevy Camaro. iv heard 2:1 TH and true dual on identical bikes (06 street glides with 88s) side by side the true dual is deeper and louder. you also hear each cylinder pulse so it even though the motors are the same the true dual has the lopeing sound of a high lift cam
Old 06-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Jake707SBFMC wants to know Dino or Syn?
but like previously said its all opinions
Old 06-26-2011, 07:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
FNG :)

ROAD-DOG wants to know Dino or Syn?
V&h true duals

I HAVE A 2008 ROADKING AND STATRED WITH JUST A FUEL-PAK AND V&H BASIC SLIP-ONS. THE BIKE NEVER MISSED A BEAT! NOW I HAVE ADDED THE V&H TRUE DUALS HEAD PIPES ON AND GOT THE NEW CODES FROM V&H FOR THAT CHANGE. THE DAY I GOT IT DONE WAS 88DEG,S IN MY POLE BARN!!!!!!! IT 7:30PM AND I WAS JUST WASTED BECAUSE OF THE HEAT BUT HAPPY THAT I GOT THE JOB DONE. I TOOK IT OUT ON MY PAVED ROAD FOR A SHORT RUN. IT SOUNDED REAL GOOD BUT IT,S BEEN RAINING EVER SINCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM JUST WAITING FOR THE CLOUDS TO PART!!!!!!!!! SO I CAN OPEN THIS THING REALLY UP!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU ALL FOR THE POST,S ON THIS SUBJECT TOO!!! ROAD-DOG
ROAD-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement