VANCE & Hines Oval Slip Ons : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Exhaust Discussion (aftermarket/OEM)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2003, 09:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

cigarlvr wants to know Dino or Syn?
VANCE & Hines Oval Slip Ons

I am looking for soem slip ons for my 2003 Road King Classic and wanted to know if anyone has them on there bike and how do they sound? Are they loud Etc.
cigarlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2003, 11:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Road Captain

hogg831 wants to know Dino or Syn?
....give me a couple more days and I'll post a review. Another thread ..........

Any resemblance between the above views and those of my employer are purely coincidental. Any resemblance between the above and my own views is non-deterministic. The question of the existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is left as an exercise for the reader. The question of the existence of the reader is left as an exercise for the second god coefficient.

Fun is a good thing, whining sucks!

Last edited by hogg831; 05-26-2003 at 11:43 AM.
hogg831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 09:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Road Captain

Completed the install of the V&H Ovals. Great mellow sound, still roar when throttled. I enjoy the fact that they settle into a mellow roar quickly. Visual, think of a boat's hole-shot and how quickly it comes on plane or level out. That what I mean by settling in.

I removed a set of Sreaming Eagle slash-cuts. They had a slapping sound under acceleration. Think of a PU with a cheap dual exhaust, I am sure you've heard it. The Ovals actually have a more throaty, rich sound and that's what I was looking for. Did pick up a bit of popping, so I have to play with the PC111r again.

This, IMHO is a great slip-on for those looking for a happy medium between factory quiet and after-market loud. DaveT's initial post caused me to look at these, and I am certainly glad I did. Thanks DaveT!!

Bought them from Accessory Warehouse (accwhse.com) for $305.95 (plus shipping). Accessory Warehouse uses an online tracking database (text doc) that's not updated very frequently. They provide no confirmation of order by email, didn't care for no notice changes and lack of update.

Any resemblance between the above views and those of my employer are purely coincidental. Any resemblance between the above and my own views is non-deterministic. The question of the existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is left as an exercise for the reader. The question of the existence of the reader is left as an exercise for the second god coefficient.

Old 05-31-2003, 08:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

HarleyJoel wants to know Dino or Syn?
Frank, can you still hear the stereo if it's stock? Are you pissing the neighbors off if you come home around midnight? Thanks

2001 FLHTCUI P.O.E.

HarleyJoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 08:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Road Captain

HarleyJoel, yea I can still hear the stereo. Rode yesterday in 15 mph winds, gust to 35-40 (gotta love the Windy City, yea I know where the name started) and still could hear it at 60-70.

I can come into the neighborhood under light throttle, they'll know I'm home if light sleeper, but will not annoy the average person. They are rather tame under a light throttle.

Old 06-02-2003, 07:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

I just ordered a pair. Thanks!

2001 FLHTCUI P.O.E.

Old 06-03-2003, 07:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

mtmtrspt wants to know Dino or Syn?
In addition to the very useful info already discussed, I have another question.

I've seen the older style V & H slash-cut slip on's and they are (for all intents and purposes) a straight thru glass pack muffler. Not yet having seen the new oval slash cut style, are the internals the same??? My initial belief is that they may be except for double wall construction to help keep the outer shell from discoloring.

I'm curious if they may have possibly changed the inside flowpath such it is no longer straight thru design rather a baffled design.

Tom
Big Boyz Heads, VPC Clutch

2003 Vivid Black (Gold Key) FLHRCI - gone

>>>dirty deeds done dirt cheap<<<
mtmtrspt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 09:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Road Captain

mtmtrspt,
I really haven't seen the V&H Slash-cuts in hand, only photo of them. The oval is not really a straight thru. When peering through the pipe, you see the baffle and daylight though several holes manufatured in it. When I looked through the SE Slash, I could see straight through. In short, based on your description, the ovals have a different internal design.

"I'm curious if they may have possibly changed the inside flowpath such it is no longer straight thru design rather a baffled design."

I would say they have................

Old 06-07-2003, 11:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

According to the Vance & Hines website, they are "chambered baffle design" that according to them, "hot gasses won't hit the chrome". So I guess so but I'll let you know when I get mine. B.T.W. I got them for $318.00

2001 FLHTCUI P.O.E.

Old 06-07-2003, 07:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

francric wants to know Dino or Syn?
Joel where did you get them for $318?
francric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 08:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

A Place in New Jersey called Bikers Quest. (www.bikersquest.com) The web site isn't up yet but the phone number is on there. I should mention that NJ has 6% sales tax I didn't include on the $318 quote.

2001 FLHTCUI P.O.E.

Old 06-08-2003, 10:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Road Captain

Bought mine from Accessory Warehouse (accwhse.com) for $305.95 (plus shipping).

Old 06-09-2003, 06:48 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

hogg831, I saw that but the description says up to 2002. I have a 2003.

I was also looking at Hooker Headers Tuned Flow. Any opinions from anyone on these?
Old 06-09-2003, 07:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
Road Captain

DUAL SLIP-ONS Part# 16727
2002-2003
Source

Order # Price...... Description...... V&H Part#
(87269) $305.95 Vance & Hines Oval Slip-On Harley #16727

Source

**Same Vance and Hines part number. I put them on an '03 Ultra. Good luck with your choice

Old 06-09-2003, 09:26 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Thanks Hogg831
Sponsored Links
Advertisement