Road King Classic Exhaust : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Exhaust Discussion (aftermarket/OEM)
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2008, 12:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

butters wants to know Dino or Syn?
Road King Classic Exhaust

I posted a similar question in the Touring discusson forum, but it is probably be better suited here. I will be recieving my new Road King Classic in Mar of this year. I love the nostalgic look of the bike and want to keep that first and foremost. I would however like to put a louder exhaust system, something that will keep me from getting side swiped by a car but not so loud that I cant enjoy the ride. I have read that you lose power with the true dual system, which from what I have heard is somewhat lacking already. I dont care about getting from red light to red light as fast as possible but I do want to be able to get around a car if I have to.

So after all that, what recomendation would you others out there give a newbie like me? Keep the stock head pipes and go with a slip on? Or go ahead and spend the extra bucks and go with the true dual system? Or simply keep the entire stock exhaust system?

Thanks in advance for the info.
butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2008, 03:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

fxdl raw wants to know Dino or Syn?
well, you should look at an exhaust that will allow you to do some engine modifications later if that is what you want. If you restrict yourself strictly just wanting louder pipes you could hose yourself down the road. If you just want louder punch the baffles out and try that first. Save the money for later.
V&H Bagger Duals w/oval slip-ons
Andrews 37G, Ness AC, SERT (Latus HD)
88HP 100TQ

Old bike: 00 Lowrider
Headquarters heads, cams, ignition, VH pro-pipe
95ci, 101hp and 109 tq
Single and looking
Have pictures :stupid:
http://head-quarters.com/html/101_x_109.html
fxdl raw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

emirharley wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am very pleased with my modifications on my Road King Classic, and to tell you the truth, I have "invested" the months, almost the years, in order to get perfect combination (from my point of view).

So, here is my recommendation:

1. Stock pipes
2. Wild Pig Pipes/mufflers/slip ons (1 3/4" baffles - not too loud, 2" baffles - quite loud)
3. Screamin' Eagle Stage One Kit (read as: more air)
4. DFO (Digital Fuel Optimizer) to adjust everything, to "help" all new parts to work in harmony. Adjustment will be done via producer's web site, in co-operation with very kind people from Dobeck Performance Forum.

Also, I have to emphasize that I did everything taking into account affordable prices.

Hope this helps.

emirharley
"Sarajevo Bikers Club" MC
www.sarajevobikersclub.ba
-----------------------------------------------------
2001 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic FLHRCI HDI EFI
Screamin' Eagle Stage One Kit
RevTech DFO Stealth Performance System
Screamin' Eagle Performance Mufflers
(Set two: Wild Pig Pipes, 2" baffles)
Ape Hanger
Back Rest
Kuryakyn Spider Light
et cetera
emirharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I also am on a budget. I know things can change but I dont see myself doing any performance modifications except the Stage 1. I really dont care about the increase in power, torque and all that unless I notice a big problem in the basics such as getting around a car if I need to or loading the bike down for a long haul.

Also I have been reading about many of you experiencing heat problems on the new touring bikes. Is this true?
Old 01-23-2008, 02:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Well, that is certainly true if you mount Stage One Kit/aftermarket air cleaner and aftermarket mufflers, and NO recalibration. Your engine will be thirsty and become very hot, i.e. your mufflers, pipes and engine will be hot, i.e. discoloration and the number of problems.

Conclusion: only aftermarket mufflers, no Stage One Kit/aftermarket air cleaner - yes....... but aftermarket muffrels + Stage One Kit/aftermarket air cleaner but without recalibration = problems!

Recalibration means DFO, Power Commander, or expensive and complicated SERT (SERT is not recommended for minor modifications, but for serious changes). Or "Harley download", which I do not recommend. Maybe others do.

This is not any kind of "wisdom", just my experience.

emirharley
Ape Hanger
Back Rest
Kuryakyn Spider Light
et cetera
Old 01-23-2008, 03:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Well, I was planning on having the download done from the dealer when I had the pipes changed out and did the stage 1 before I pick it up. But you recomend not going with the dealer download? Why is this?
Old 01-23-2008, 03:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

One download is for one certain "combination". When you change something, for example new type of mufflers, you are trapped!

With DFO or Power Commander you can "play" and adjust in the best possible way.

For example, if I did factory remap, that would have been huge mistake, since my bike is a little bit out of factory specifications. Even more, I could not apply recommended settings that I got from Dobeck Performance for my DFO. So, I "played" a litle bit with my DFO, working in close co-operation with Dobeck Performance people (via their web site) and after while I got perfect result!

So, with DFO or Power Commander you are - a commander yourself!

emirharley
Ape Hanger
Back Rest
Kuryakyn Spider Light
et cetera
Old 01-24-2008, 12:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

O.K. I think I have an idea of the setup I would like (from lots of research and the help from you all at this forum).

Stock header pipes
Rush Slash up slip on, 1.75" or 2.0"
Power Commander III
Stage 1 kit

The only problem is I am not sure to go with the 1.75 (which is what the guy at Rush recomended) or the 2" (which seems to be what most people on this forum has).

Also I talked to a guy with power commander and he said the power commander III usb will work on my 2008 model but they only have like 3 maps for it at this time. I was just going to let harley do the download till I found out they charge around $150-$175 for a single download.

I would appreciate any feedback on this setup. Thanks for all the help so far.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

With DFO you can tune your machine immediately. Any combination. Think about this issue, that is why I decided not to go with Power Commander, but with the DFO. I have been thinking about this and I asked the number of questions on this respected Forum and I got the number of replies from the number of respected members and gurus of this Forum. They "presented" me all "pros" and "contras" about DFO, PC III or SERT, and after collecting all information all decided to go with DFO and I am very pleased I did that.

I am not "pushing" anything I am not a sales person, I am just telling my experience. You will be the one to decide.

Baffles: 1.75" - less loud, 2.0" - quite loud.

Just my 2cc.

emirharley
Ape Hanger
Back Rest
Kuryakyn Spider Light
et cetera

Last edited by emirharley; 01-25-2008 at 02:20 AM.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
To Many Places, No Time

dewalt2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Supertrapp SE touring mufflers, SE A/C kit, HD premium oil cooler, synthetic fluids, and HD stage one download worked out great for me.

dewalt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

SFTL-1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by butters View Post
O.K. I think I have an idea of the setup I would like (from lots of research and the help from you all at this forum).

Stock header pipes
Rush Slash up slip on, 1.75" or 2.0"
Power Commander III
Stage 1 kit

The only problem is I am not sure to go with the 1.75 (which is what the guy at Rush recomended) or the 2" (which seems to be what most people on this forum has).

Also I talked to a guy with power commander and he said the power commander III usb will work on my 2008 model but they only have like 3 maps for it at this time. I was just going to let harley do the download till I found out they charge around $150-$175 for a single download.

I would appreciate any feedback on this setup. Thanks for all the help so far.
Use both, you'll want to use the 2" in the right side muffler and 1.75 in the left side muffler. 80%+- of the exaust will exit into the right side pipe if you stick with the factory head pipes. You may even want to consider a 2.25" baffle in the right pipe, but I'd talk with Rush on that since their the experts.

You also may want to check out Latus HD and go into their forum for advice on their Y pipe modification which is done to improve exhaust flow.
SE 257, HTCC Heads & Intake
Hooker Troublemaker Pipes
SFTL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement