H-D Evo 80" vs. Indian pp 100" : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Evolution Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2007, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cherokee Biker

gtonk wants to know Dino or Syn?
Smile H-D Evo 80" vs. Indian pp 100"

Thinking of having a custom bobber built - need to choose between a HD evo 80" and an Indian PP 100". I know the Evo is a dependable engine but need info/ advice on the Indian. Anyone who has the technical knowledge - would appreciate some feedback. Which engine would you go with?? I don't tinker with motors so my knowledge is limited. Thanks for any help/ info.
gtonk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2007, 12:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

winpitt wants to know Dino or Syn?
LOTS and LOTS of Evo parts and components available and will be for some time. Indian???????
winpitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2007, 12:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cherokee Biker

I'm told most of the indian parts are interchangeable with the evo and that should not be a problem but..............is this true??
Old 01-27-2007, 02:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

L.Linkert wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have looked at these engines, I believe that many parts are interchangable with the Evo.
A fellow I know found he couldnt installed a particular high lift cam because of the oil pump location.
I think they went with the basic Evo layout rather than design a new engine.
There has not been much negative regarding these engines. that I have seen.
L.Linkert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2007, 06:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

winpitt wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just saying - you KNOW the parts are available and in great number for the Evo. You HOPE that parts you want are available and in some number for the Indian. I'm guessing (nothing more than that) that in 5 years it'll be easier to get any part you want for the Evo than the Indian. But, you never know. What advantage would the Indian motor have that would make somebody choose it instead? I just don't see the logic.
winpitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2007, 06:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cherokee Biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by winpitt
Just saying - you KNOW the parts are available and in great number for the Evo. You HOPE that parts you want are available and in some number for the Indian. I'm guessing (nothing more than that) that in 5 years it'll be easier to get any part you want for the Evo than the Indian. But, you never know. What advantage would the Indian motor have that would make somebody choose it instead? I just don't see the logic.
The Indian pp 100 is a real bobber design -good for the bike being built. It will also give me much more torque and horsepower - approx. 34 more - 102 compared to 68 forn the Evo 80. Also with the step tuned ceramic pipes I'd use, I'm told the sound is also deeper. The Indian has gotten some very good reviews from what I've read today and the internal design/ makeup is similiar to the Evoution. I know the Evolution is reliable - I was just wondering before about the reliability of the Indian. Tha's the logic, I guess.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

biggyD wants to know Dino or Syn?
Indian motors are a crap shoot some have internals built in venezuela(WTF?) ,some don't ...........and I wouldn't believe the 102 hp claim ,the pp100 are dogs in imho,a slightly modified 80" would stomp all over the pp100.
biggyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2007, 08:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

godzilla22 wants to know where he is and how he got here
Go with the EVO!
Everything that came out of the "Fake" Indian factory in Gilroy, Ca. is little more than fancy scrap metal. All the mechanical stuff was stolen Harley Davidson technology anyway. A little bit of cheesey sheet metal and slap the Indian logo on it and call it an Indian. The motor was a piece of $hit from day one and was very hit and miss when it came to quality. They deserved to go out of business because they built a very inferior product with stolen technology.
godzilla22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2007, 12:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Gary7 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by godzilla22
Everything that came out of the "Fake" Indian factory in Gilroy, Ca. is little more than fancy scrap metal. All the mechanical stuff was stolen Harley Davidson technology anyway. A little bit of cheesey sheet metal and slap the Indian logo on it and call it an Indian. The motor was a piece of $hit from day one and was very hit and miss when it came to quality. They deserved to go out of business because they built a very inferior product with stolen technology.
Gary7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2007, 02:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

I found this company that works on the Indian PP engine, they explain some of the problems such as bad fitting import crankshaft, case damage and oiling problems.
http://www.blackhawkmotorworks.com/indian.htm#pagetop
Old 01-31-2007, 06:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cherokee Biker

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Linkert
I found this company that works on the Indian PP engine, they explain some of the problems such as bad fitting import crankshaft, case damage and oiling problems.
http://www.blackhawkmotorworks.com/indian.htm#pagetop
Thanks. I've been talking to some people around the country and am finding the same. I'm going with the Evo.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

indiankris wants to know Dino or Syn?
The pp100 would be a good choice if you got one from Blackhawk. Are you
planning on spending big money? For 4500.00 that's not bad. You can get
them to do some headwork and put in a bigger cam. Stock, they came with something similar to an S&S 561. There should not be a clearance problem
with a bigger cam. A lot of people put Woods' cams in 'em which is .590
lift, (huge by 80 c.i evo standards). It would be wise to get one that has
been thoroughly looked over. Most of the parts for this engine will be available for awhile, just not as easy to obtain as Harley parts. If you're serious about getting this engine my suggestion would be to inform yourself of which parts are interchangeable with Harley and what parts you'll have to
get from Blackhawk or Ebay. As far as performance is concerned, a pp100
would make roughly the same hp and tq as an evo the same size done up the same way, and it would run circles around an 80' evo. If you put this engine
in your bobber you'll get mixed reactions. Some will have their noses in the
air because it's not Harley, but chances are that because it won't say Harley
on the tanks they won't even come over to look at it. Others will love it.
You'll be surprised how many hard core bikers will like it. A lot of those guys
have had all kinds of bikes in their day and will appreciate anything out of
the norm. You'll probably find their opinions more important than some rubs
with their noses in the air. Whatever you choose, good luck.
Kris
indiankris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2007, 11:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Too bad about the apparent major problems with these engines.
If one were to consider buying one of these bikes, it would be good to pay around $3500 less to cover the engine repair.
Wow! to repair one cost alot more than a HD engine! I think I lost any interest I may of had in these.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:57 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

godzilla22 wants to know where he is and how he got here
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiankris
As far as performance is concerned, a pp100
would make roughly the same hp and tq as an evo the same size done up the same way, and it would run circles around an 80' evo.

Based on what? Same horsepower/torque? Similar if not identical performance.
The motor is a poorly executed rip off of the Harley motor and yet you say that with the same HP/TORQUE numbers it has this mystical ability to "Run circles around the 80" EVO". I haven't seen one yet that could even get close to my 80" EVO.

You fake Indian guys kill me with this stuff.
godzilla22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2007, 11:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Back in the day, before my time. The real Indian guys would say-
Hail, Hail, the Indian Chief, built like a rock to take hard knocks, its Harley Davidson that causes all the grief.
Saw this one awhile back-
Hardly old Ablesons are made of tin, ride them out and push them in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.