runout on clutch basket : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Evolution Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2004, 12:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

SamC wants to know Dino or Syn?
runout on clutch basket

I've never noticed this before, but I've got about 0.030" wobble in the clutch basket, as measured at the outer edge of the starter ring. This suggests that the clutch bearing isn't quite square. I don't find a spec for runout in the manual; anybody aware of a spec? It's not much wobble, but it's visible.
SamC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2004, 08:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this? HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamC
I've never noticed this before, but I've got about 0.030" wobble in the clutch basket, as measured at the outer edge of the starter ring. This suggests that the clutch bearing isn't quite square. I don't find a spec for runout in the manual; anybody aware of a spec? It's not much wobble, but it's visible.
Most HDs spec. are .005 on that bearing. Are you sure your measuring the bearing run out and not the starter gear run out?
HDMD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 09:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

SamC wants to know Dino or Syn?
starter gear or basket?

It's 0.030" at the rim of the starter gear, which wouldn't worry me much, except that the wobble in the basket/gear assembly is enough to deflect the primary chain slightly (this is with the clutch pack out, turning the clutch hub, which is concentric with the transmission input shaft, so we're seeing mis-alignment between the hub and basket, indicating that the basket isn't exactly concentric with the hub).

That 0.005" is measured where? at the bearing, at the starter basket, where? and where are you finding that number? 0.005 measured at the bearing could easily give me 0.030 measured at the starter gear.

Probably worrying about nothing, since it's been this way for 11 years, but it's nice to get it right.
SamC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 06:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this? HDMD88 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamC
It's 0.030" at the rim of the starter gear, which wouldn't worry me much, except that the wobble in the basket/gear assembly is enough to deflect the primary chain slightly (this is with the clutch pack out, turning the clutch hub, which is concentric with the transmission input shaft, so we're seeing mis-alignment between the hub and basket, indicating that the basket isn't exactly concentric with the hub).

That 0.005" is measured where? at the bearing, at the starter basket, where? and where are you finding that number? 0.005 measured at the bearing could easily give me 0.030 measured at the starter gear.

Probably worrying about nothing, since it's been this way for 11 years, but it's nice to get it right.
Thats the runout on a sporty basket....I thought I'd shoot that at you cause I know thats right....Jeff S would know for sure.
HDMD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement