Cam info needed...ev 13, 27, 46 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Evolution Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2004, 12:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

koolhand wants to know Dino or Syn?
Cam info needed...Andrews EV13, EV27, EV46, EV 3 which is best?

Found an EV-3 and been looking for cam for my 96 Badboy, just need a little more punch from stock to not get pissed when my buddies on their twin-cam's take off....I don't necessarily care about stoplight to stoplight, although I think any of the 3 will be great improvement over stock. Mainly like to make sure that when I pass a vehicle and need to hit it, I want the power to be there. Should I get the EV3 or keep looking and buy one of the others? Looking for input and appreciate y'all's help.

Luke

Last edited by koolhand; 07-21-2004 at 02:52 PM.
koolhand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2004, 02:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

rickr01 wants to know Dino or Syn?
KoolHand,

The EV 13 and 27 are common and similiar in grind. Both work well however they produce more when the revs are up higher. What I'm saying is that if you always have your hand into it, go with the 27, if you only have your hand into it when your running through the gears I would use the 13. Don't go with the 46 unless you are always pulling lots of weight. You are going to get alot of personal preference on cam issues. Cam choice should be based on riding style, modifications made and are to be made and most of all expectations.

My personal favorite is a cam that pulls real hard, (Torquey) right from the lowest RPM's and will just as well get you past that slow moving truck with a simple roll on. Not many people ride constantly jamming the throttle to red line and cruise at much above 2700RPM all the time.

A cam that makes use of all power bands equally, and pulls hard with a roll on without downshifting, and is easy on the motor is my choice.

V Thunder's EVL 3010 is a real fine cam. It's not noisy, it pulls real well, rolls on just as well, and works great with performance pipes and a richened carb. My $.02
rickr01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2004, 02:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

What about the EV3??

I can get one from a buddy. It appears from the specs to be right between the 27 and the 46... and I know what opinions are like but I appreciate them anyway.

Thanks

Luke
Old 07-21-2004, 03:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

All the cams you mentioned will work well. The determining factor is your modifications and most common riding style. I still feel the V Thunder EVL 3010 is the best all all around cam for a lightly modified bike with an owner who rides between 1000 to 3000 rpm most times and expects a kick when needed. I had a 13 and switched to the 3010. Huge difference in quietness, pull and roll on and the ramps are not so large as to put additional wear on the lifters and valve train. Again consult the manufacturers and look at the specks and be sure of what your riding style is. A cam can be the best performance modification for your money or if chosen unwisely, your worst nightmare! People tend to overdo instaed of match componants. Again Based on my riding style my love of roll on as needed torque, and my modifications as well as my use of the EV 13 and the EVL 3010, I vote for the 3010. The EV 13 is a good cam as well. The EV3 is good in a lighter bike, but again does not come on until your in the upper rpm's. It may disapoint you if unless that is where you spend most of your riding time. Higher rpm's
Old 07-21-2004, 03:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

Kool Hand,

Wait for other opinions. This is alway a controversial issue when it comes up. Consider whats best for you based on not only opinions but on actual manufacturer research. The manufactures all would like to sell you a cam but in that market is seems that happiness with the choice equals word of mouth, hence the tech departments of the various cam manufacturers are the best ones to talk to. Tell them your mods, and what you want to accomplish and again consider your Harley normal operating rpm range.

Rick
Old 07-21-2004, 04:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Rick,
Thanks for the additional response. I like a good roll on power as well as power at higher RPM's for passing. I guess my bike is pretty light as far as bikes go, given that it's a Badboy and I do suppose that any of the mentioned cams would be a vast improvement over stock.

Thanks again,

Luke
Old 07-22-2004, 01:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
MPZ
IronButt

MPZ wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you use your stock cam gear, the EV 13 should not be a noisy cam. The 27 is noisier because of steeper ramps and is definitely a higher rpm cam. Sounds to me like all you need is a mild aftermarket cam and the EV 13 is as good as any. Any aftermarket cam is a vast improvement over stock, but most of them (that close the intake after 34 degrees) push the power way up in the rpm range. Cams like the EV 13 increase the power throughout the rpm range but more so in the low and mid-range.
MPZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.