EV-27 vs. SE4 for stage II? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Evolution Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2004, 01:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

ronnylee61 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Question EV-27 vs. SE4 for stage II?

I'm a ready to go to stage II with my '94 FLHR and am taking a hard look at cams. These two are on my short list as well as Andrews ev46, v-thunder evl 1010, and crane fireball 310. Anyone have experience with any of these?
I'd like a broad range of torque with decent horsepower. Bolt-in is my option, for now.

Last edited by ronnylee61; 07-02-2004 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Not specific enough
ronnylee61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2004, 04:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
>>> The Curmudgeon <<<

barrybasinger wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnylee61
I'm a ready to go to stage II with my '94 FLHR and am taking a hard look at cams. These two are on my short list as well as Andrews ev46, v-thunder evl 1010, and crane fireball 310. Anyone have experience with any of these?
I'd like a broad range of torque with decent horsepower. Bolt-in is my option, for now.
I know I preach the EV13 all the time, and I hate to sound like a broken record, but you don't really want either the EV27 or the SE4. And you for sure don't even want to think about that EV46! You must mean the VT 3010, which is sorta okay. Personally, I think the EV13 is the best cam you can get for this combination. The EV27 and EV46 need more compression or they lose on the bottom, and based on it's timing figures I suspect that the SE4 does too. btw, any of these will work even better with a K&N/SE air filter and a decent set of mufflers.
https://sites.google.com/site/harleyrealstreet/

------------------------------------------------
Five Simple Rules:
- Free Your Heart From Hatred
- Free your Mind From Worries
- Live Simply
- Give More
- Expect Less

-------------------------------------------------
"Livin' Dreams and Makin' Memories"
Brian C. Basinger 1944 - 2011
R.I.P., Bro'
barrybasinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrybasinger
I know I preach the EV13 all the time, and I hate to sound like a broken record, but you don't really want either the EV27 or the SE4. And you for sure don't even want to think about that EV46! You must mean the VT 3010, which is sorta okay. Personally, I think the EV13 is the best cam you can get for this combination. The EV27 and EV46 need more compression or they lose on the bottom, and based on it's timing figures I suspect that the SE4 does too. btw, any of these will work even better with a K&N/SE air filter and a decent set of mufflers.
Alright, here are the specs: Screaming Eagle air cleaner kit with K&N filter, 6000 RPM ignition module, hot plugs, Hooker tuned-flow straight cut slip ons, haven't opened the carb so don't know how it's jetted but plan to open it up as necessary. This is a bagger, so I'm looking for the right cam. I've read some of the other posts and have seen the EV13 mentioned but am wondering if this is a stump-puller cam? My ignition will go to 6K so I don't want a cam that will not take advantage of the RPM range. I'm trying to find a cam that'll work from 1500 to 6000 with good torque and horsepower. I never ride two-up, because my wife has her own sporty, if that makes any difference. Thanks for the post. Any other info is appreciated.
Old 07-04-2004, 05:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
>>> The Curmudgeon <<<

barrybasinger wants to know Dino or Syn?
It ain't about "taking advantage of the RPM range". It's about trying to decide what RPM range you want to emphasize. You won't find a cam that "works" from 1500 through 6000", so quit dreamin'. Cam choice boils down to one thing, and that's compromise. You have to decide what/where you will compromise, because you can't have it all.

The EV13 is pretty much out of breath by 5200-5500 RPM, so it's a a stump puller, yes, but that's generally what is needed for a bagger. At 70 MPH you're probably only turning 3000 RPM, so if you want passing power at that speed, you want something that's developing some torque around that RPM--which is not an EV27 or EV46, btw. When you accelerate away from a stop, most of the time you don't exceed 3500 RPM, so you want something that will feel strong below that. When you're cruising through town, you're ptobably turning 2000 RPM if that, so you want something that will pull down there in order to ride comfortably.

If you're one of those bagger riders who thinks they can make a drag racer out of their bike, then get off the dime and get more compression on that thing, then get that EV27--or even that EV46, and you'll be happy. Or better yet, get a decent set of heads and go to 10.5:1 CR and get something more like an EV51. Right now you're limited by the 8.x:1 compression on your bike. With that CR a bigger cam will just make it a real dog down low.

For guys who are not too familair with choosing cams, I have one piece of real good advice--well, actually two: One, be real honest about how you ride, and two, call a cam manufacturer and tell them what you have. They will recommend the right cam for you. They generally don't jerk you around, and they'll tell you the truth--even if it ain't what you want to hear.
https://sites.google.com/site/harleyrealstreet/

------------------------------------------------
Five Simple Rules:
- Free Your Heart From Hatred
- Free your Mind From Worries
- Live Simply
- Give More
- Expect Less

-------------------------------------------------
"Livin' Dreams and Makin' Memories"
Brian C. Basinger 1944 - 2011
R.I.P., Bro'
barrybasinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 11:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well, yeah, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout. Thanks for the info. Yeah, I'm lookin' to make the bike wind up a little more and if Harley's catalog dyno charts for the SE4 are even close to truthful, even with the low end sag I'd be getting more torque in the lower rpms than stock and hitting close to 80 ftlbs in the 3k to 4k range, so how can I go wrong with that? Plus I'm not going to peter out after 5200. I can't find a dyno chart for an ev13 anywhere on the net, so I can't really compare. Not to say that one dyno chart can actually represent the performance of a cam in my particular engine. Furthermore, the SE4 has higher lift, longer duration, etc. I'm not saying I know a whole lot about this but there's just so much to choose from out there and for someone who's pretty new to perfomance tuning, it's a pretty daunting. For now, I want the best bolt-in I can get. Later, I'll spend on compression upgrades.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement