twin cam head on evo - Page 3 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Evolution Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2008, 11:26 AM   #31 (permalink)
FNG :)

ozprostreet wants to know Dino or Syn?
Fatvo/fatso

Possibly building a Fatvo
Which pistons are OK to use on the Fatvo, Just needed to clear up from info above

KB300 3.812" bore 1.285" deck height

KB412 3.875" bore 1.400" deck height

JE 3.875" bore ?????????????????

Indian 3.875" bore 1.400"

Can anyone give me some more detailed specs, Deck heights (JE PISTON), Length of stock 95"/88" cylinders, What compression ratios did or do you end up with etc etc, I want all the finer details before I start building one of these engines
I'm looking at getting a set of the Fatso/Fatvo Ultima cases, Cant find any specs on these either, Is the deck height +.500" on the Ultima FATSO cases (206-40 & 206-41), I guess so from what I have read here, Ultima needs to put some specs out somewhere on the cases and or the topend details

I just need to look into the clearances and where everything will end up, Hard to work it all out though without the bits in hand
The sputhe and AMS sites dont have the information Im after either
Thanks All
ozprostreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2008, 12:57 PM   #32 (permalink)

unicorn-96 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Try these guys
http://www.sputhe.com/fatvo%20twin%20cam%20case.htm
The FATVO has a lot of GO Power !!
The claim is 100 HP 100 CID 100 #torque
unicorn-96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:50 PM   #33 (permalink)

ozprostreet wants to know Dino or Syn?
Fatvo/Fatso

Yeah I have been to Sputhe and AMS sites and searches galore which lead me here, But the info I'm after is not available, Without emailing etc, Then they dont really want to talk to you unless you are a potential customer usually, Shops in general
The info should be available to find somewhere on the net (without emailing etc) But it isnt, Thats partly why I listed the pistons with more detail than I have found in any other forums/sites etc
Hopefully all the info will be available soon, And or I will post it too, To help others in the same boat, The information doesnt matter if you want one of these motors and go and buy one, But I am planning on building one, I will have the bottomend balanced/assembled etc by someone who can, then I will do the rest

What is the deck height of the Sputhe/ultima Fatvo cases
what is the deck height of the pistons? especially the Sputhe/JE ones, no info is there

If anyone can help, it would be muchly appreciated
Thanks
ozprostreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:43 AM   #34 (permalink)

jethroib wants to know Dino or Syn?
Talking It's Alive

After 2 years it's gone for it's first test drive
the fatso motor is a runner , I haven't got to twist up the throttle
but it definatly want to run. we'll see for longevity but it should last a long time.
jethroib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 03:49 PM   #35 (permalink)

asdco wants to know Dino or Syn?
these friggin ultima cases are pissing me off. the scraper blade doesnt clear my flywheels. do I have to grind the scraper down or what?
I got a feeling ultima wants to sell complete engines so they dont post any info on bare cases.
You can get deck heighth info etc by going to their site (ultimaproducts.com) and download the pdf file on engines.
I'm using the indian pistons (kb) and after talking to someone I think I'll have to add a shim plate to get the right deck heigth
asdco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:43 PM   #36 (permalink)

JETHRO what kind of clearance did you use when you cut down the scraper?
Old 01-02-2009, 11:13 AM   #37 (permalink)

scraper

we used a mill to cut the scraper to about .100 cleanance to clear the flywheels
also had to clearance the cases where the jims crank pin nut touched. the cases come perty plain so you can run different wheels in there if you want to. it was a surprise to me that they came that way.

I don't know about the indian pistons they looked about right but we couldn't find out the deck height so we went with kb twin cam pistons and enlarged the pin hole on the rods.
hope this helps
Old 01-03-2009, 03:00 AM   #38 (permalink)
IronButt

lucille wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm putting a flathead Ford engine in my 535i BMW just because I can.
lucille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:43 PM   #39 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

injected05 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Is a longer pinion shaft neccessary on Sputhe, Delkron and Ultima cases?
injected05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:23 PM   #40 (permalink)

the ultima cases needed the 1/4" longer pinion shaft
Old 01-06-2009, 06:13 PM   #41 (permalink)

I put an ultima big bore tappet block on my ultima case and a stock push rod just barely clears the hole on the rear intake, that was without a box gasket. If I can find a thick box gasket I don't think I'll have to reposition that hole at all. I put a 1/16" shim where the gasket would normally be and I got about 1/32" clearance between the rod and pushrod tube hole. If I just do 1/32" filing on the hole I can get 1/16" clearance. 1 problem I had, Both adjustable and non adjustable tc pushrods are at least 1/4" short so I assume I need evo style pushrods?
Old 02-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #42 (permalink)

got about 70 miles on it as it a bit cold still ,the fatso motor works great! I haven't got to peel back the throttle but just rolling on it a bit sends it flying down the road. It's been a fair amont of work but well worth it.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:18 PM   #43 (permalink)

Bob Barker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethroib View Post
I'm hip deep in building a fatvo / fatso motor whatever you want to call it. there is alot of crap spread uniforminaly thought out the net on how this combo goes together, much research and having a dad with an and old school harley shop helps too, he can fix anything including my cat. lots of catalogs and ebay not to mention beer has yeilded this info, so chime in if there is some pearl of knowledge you have to bestowe upon me . So far most of the concerns are easily fixed , I used ultima cases, indian power 100 rotating assembly with the rods bored and rebushed to the .927 pin size, and lapped the tapers to seat some of the indian misalignments and watch the oil hole in the crank pin. also something weird no timing marks on indian wheels whats up with that?
The cylinder and heads were off a 96 inch twin cam which I thought the Harley factory went with boring the cyl like everybody was doing to get to 95 inches
I ASSumed wrong the factory stroked instead, so I had the up cyl bored to fit KB hypereutitic pistons and clearanced slightly with a grinder at the cly flanges .
Evo bottom stuff ,evo crane 3/8 pushrods and standard tubes work.
However out 3 of 4 holes in the twin cam heads for the pushrods and tubes have to moved to provide clear the pushrods. here we clamped them down milled them in a drill press and moved the recessed bore centers to a better position added fitted sheet metal templates titanium epoxyed in and thats where we are at, ya ya ya weld and relocate the holes sounds so much more NASA but I'm trying to beat the price of a factory crate 80 evo and have a long lived hybrid 100 inch brute instead ,cheap @*cker that I am. so far so good . the end result is a 100 inches in a early style swing armed frame with a 6 speed should haul my and my lovely wifes butts down the road at a quick pace.
thanks to my wife
dad lester brooks
ebay
cherokee rebel for selling me a carb at shipping cost off her softail.

feel free to chime in , thats what this is about

eric
OK, I'm commited to doing the same build w/ ultima Fatso case 206-41 and crank assembly 98-554(4.250 stroke with 1/4 longer pinion shaft) and Mahle 3.875 pistons w/0.792 pins. From everything I read and have researched this should be the right combo.
The question I have is you say 3 out of 4 holes in the heads have to be relocated or rigged. Daytona Beach Cycles has a page that shows a shop- made template that registers the intakes off evo heads to weld and redrill Twin cam heads.Is it just the intakes or is it more and can you supply dimensioned drawings or just tell me what spacing as I would like to have mine welded and remachined.? Any help or comments or advice would be highly appreciated Thanks
Incidentally ,I got the info for the cases,crank, etc out of 2008 Jireh Cycles catalouge and website

Last edited by Bob Barker; 07-12-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Bob Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #44 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
seems like lots of trouble, why didnt yall just go with allan sputhe?
Old 07-12-2009, 07:15 PM   #45 (permalink)

because the ultima cases are around $800 versus $1300 and indian pistons are $100 versus $300 for beginners. It's not really a lot of work putting this engine together. First you have to take down the oil scraper because ultima uses a smaller diameter flywheel then slip in any late model evo (stay away from 91-92 there an oddball year but will fit) oval out the rear intake pushrod hole and make an oval aluminum washer to fit and rubber o-ring it, this moves the pushrod tube inward. Put revtec or whatever big bore lifter blocks on it. From here on it's just a normal rebuild. The evo cam is a bit to mild for this motor so you have to upgrade that, something with a good overlap and quick lobes like a leinweber, the overlap will save your starter. use anti pump lifters, I prefer solids but thats just me. Make sure you decide on the ignition before you buy the flywheels, some are set up for electronic timing and some are not. Again, I prefer the old points system they are pretty failsafe and cheap and won't leave you in smallville looking for electronic parts. Go with late heads, they have a better cooler running valve system and use new valve stem seals because they LEAK. Almost forgot, you gotta oval out the lower rocker box a bit also. Use evo pushrods and tubes, the tc's are to short. When you have the cylinders bored have the guy bore the back cylinder just a bit looser than the front and MARK them, this is because the rear runs hotter than the front.The rear plug should be a little colder also. Don't go for these big oil pumps, harleys don't use a lot of oil pressure and the extra oil floods the cam chamber and causes all kinds of probs so you're just wasting money on these pumps. And last but not least, try to keep both wheels on the ground when you crank it on at a 100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement