'97 FXSTC is slow to start? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Evolution Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

ezriderga wants to know Dino or Syn?
'97 FXSTC is slow to start?

My '97 Softail custom is slow to start and I don't know why so I'm asking for your help. The bike is basically stock with stage 1; K&N filter, main/170, pilot/48, with V&H straight shots.

When it finally starts it warms up normally and once warm runs great!
When I first go to start it, I twist the throttle 2 or 3 times, pull out enricher and push the start button. It just turns over but doesn't even try to start. So I stop for a few moments and give it more juice and try again. After the third time it finally starts.

I recently installed new fuel tank grommets, throttle cables and grips. I don't know anything I could have done to cause this. What am I missing here? I have recently installed a new battery and I put fresh fuel in it (100% gasoline) after I got the tanks back on.

Have any of you experienced this problem? Do you have any ideas as to what might be causing this? TIA for your help.
ezriderga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 11:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

webco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezriderga View Post
My '97 Softail custom is slow to start and I don't know why so I'm asking for your help. The bike is basically stock with stage 1; K&N filter, main/170, pilot/48, with V&H straight shots.

When I first go to start it, I twist the throttle 2 or 3 times, pull out enricher and push the start button. It just turns over but doesn't even try to start. So I stop for a few moments and give it more juice and try again. After the third time it finally starts.

I recently installed new fuel tank grommets, throttle cables and grips. I don't know anything I could have done to cause this. What am I missing here? I have recently installed a new battery and I put fresh fuel in it (100% gasoline) after I got the tanks back on.

Have any of you experienced this problem? Do you have any ideas as to what might be causing this? TIA for your help.
Does the carb have fuel in it before you try to start it?

webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

When I take the air cleaner off and twist the throttle I can see a stream of fuel going in.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
FNG :)

fxstc1999 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Try this. It works with my S&S carb and other S&S owners I've told. It may work on a stock CV carb as well. When bike is cold, twist throttle (not full throttle)a couple of times; and when bike is warm, twist throttle only once. Do NOT pull out enrichener. Hit start switch and twist throttle when starter engages. You're basically doing what a fuel injected bike does.
fxstc1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ok, I'll give that a try.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

speedfreak wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezriderga View Post

the stock petcock have a vaccum hose to let the gas flow pherhaps a small leak
on that.
maybe a sticking needle valve in the carb
any smell of gas around the bike.
just thinking loud here.

speed.

Last edited by speedfreak; 01-24-2013 at 07:41 PM. Reason: tre
speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Some good thoughts there. I have tried several approaches based on others suggestions. I went out today turned on the gas, pulled the enricher and twisted throttle 2 half turns. It fired right up.

I am going to try it again tomorrow. I think it was flooding as I was twisting the throttle 3 times after pulling the choke out. I don't know why I thought it needed so much fuel.

I'll try it again tomorrow and see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement