2000 Road Glide crazy electrical issues : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Evolution Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

hurst01 wants to know Dino or Syn?
2000 Road Glide crazy electrical issues

A guy wrecked his 2000 Road Glide and took it to be repaired. From what I was told, the repair guy kept the bike under a lean-to for about 3 years, the owner got ticked and went to get it. His mechanic changed out the handlebar controls and several other things, I don't know what all for sure.
It will fire up and ride fine, but it has no lights, signals, radio, or cruise and the speedo does not work. Tach works fine. The bike is fuel injected. He tells me he checked everything with a HD wiring diagram, but it doesn't mention the speedo. He says the ECM is working fine (don't know how he knows) and he can find no blown fuses.
I told him I would throw it out to the forum to see if I could get any information. I saw somewhere that it might possibly be speed sensor issues or possibly a bad battery cable, or even a bad regulator. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate your input.
I really don't have time and space to fool with it for him. I have 8 bikes sitting here right now (4 are mine) that I am working on for others. Seems that when someone finds you can work on one that they seem to come out of the woodwork. All of these are freebies and I have told them they will get done when can get to them. Thankfully, his is fuel injected and I told him I have nothing to troubleshoot the ECM.
I don't mind helping others out but I am covered up. I can hardly find time to work on my own. Again, thanks for any help.

Ed

Ed in Jeffersonville, Indiana
2007 HD Dyna Wide Glide
85 VT1100C Honda Shadow
84 V65 magna
Journeyman Machinist
Certified Welder
MSF RiderCoach
Aircraft Machinist USAF (Ret)
Viet Nam Vet (U.S. Army)
Streetrod Builder/enthusiaist
Patriot Guard Rider, Disabled Veteran.