1999 flhtcu : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Evolution Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 11:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

bigbadal wants to know Dino or Syn?
1999 flhtcu

Can someone enlighten me on what type of FI is in a 1999 Ultra Classic? Was this the first year of the twin cams? Was this a good year for these engines? Any problems that anyone can tell me about??

I found this bike for sale locally and it only has 2700 miles on it. Gas is leaking from the fuel lines coming out of the tank. Other than that, I can't see anything else wrong with it.

I really know nothing about the twin cam paticulars, maybe you all can enlighten me on good things and bad.

Thanks
bigbadal is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

webco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadal View Post
Can someone enlighten me on what type of FI is in a 1999 Ultra Classic? Was this the first year of the twin cams? Was this a good year for these engines? Any problems that anyone can tell me about??

I found this bike for sale locally and it only has 2700 miles on it. Gas is leaking from the fuel lines coming out of the tank. Other than that, I can't see anything else wrong with it.

I really know nothing about the twin cam paticulars, maybe you all can enlighten me on good things and bad.

Thanks
1) MM
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) Not really anything greatly wrong with them.( other than the cam chain tensioners )

webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

jammer45u is reading this now saying WTF is this?
That year has Magneti-Marelli fuel injection. They changed to Delhi in 2002.

Most people don't think to highly of the MM injection but I wouldn't let that influence your decision if it's a real good buy. Especially if you don't plan on modifying the engine a bunch.

The camshaft chains have a poorly designed tensioner system, but that can be addressed easily.

I think the bottom end of that motor was built pretty solid with Timken bearings that gave very little crankshaft runout.

2700 miles is pretty damn low mileage. You'll have issues like dry-rot tires, seals dried out and other similar problems from non-use. But if it's priced right it should be well worth the minor hassle to put those things straight.
jammer45u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Thanks for the responses.

What would be the normal procedure for starting a FI bike?? Do you twist the throttle or leave it alone??

How do you address the cam chain tensioner issue??
Old 11-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
FNG :)

Roadkiller99 wants to know Dino or Syn?
1999 Twin Cam Cam Support Plate

I have a 1999 Roadking First thing I can tell you and most important is the Cam Support plate. I blew out my rear cam bearing in 2001 and upgraded my cam's with the high lift Andrews 209. if the rear cam bearings have not been replaced in your bike get it done. 6 months later I blew out my lower end and that may have been due to junk from the rear cam bearing blowing.

I have since upgraded my engine to 95 and I recently upgrade the cam support plate with hydraulic cam tensioners & High Volume oil pump. Now their is one major thing you must know if you do this upgrade since the engine is a 99 (NOT 99A See description in PDF Cam Support plate oil control ) you must add a screw to the support back of the support plate where the tube for the oil flow would go for the new engines with the counter balance. See photo and the hole needs to be tapped first and a screw (HD #94667-00) with crush wash blue loctite . I went nuts and could not figure out why my oil pressure would not come up and talking to all kinds on mechanics final one old guy told me the deal and HARLEY does not disclose even when I bought the parts from them. lessons learned.

If you do upgrade to 95 inch kit keep an eye out on your your rear swing arm drive side. That swing arm is not meant to take a lot of power and mine broke in the middle right between the axle bolt. The rear swing arm was upgraded in 2002... Again Harley told no one.

Over all great engine just needs to be upgraded with new technology. Please feel free to shoot me with any questions.

the Roadkiller
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-11-07_19-23-01_61.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	74720   Click image for larger version

Name:	HD 99 Cam Support Plate Screw.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	75120  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cam Support plate oil control.pdf (787.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: pdf Cam Support plate oil control 2.pdf (1.34 MB, 39 views)

Last edited by Roadkiller99; 12-03-2012 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Photo 1 is incorrect.
Roadkiller99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
ASA Lives

Ultra89Rider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Why is this in the EVO section?
"lIgh tlhab"
(Ride Free)
. . . .
Ultra89Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Fourcats wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadal View Post
Thanks for the responses.

What would be the normal procedure for starting a FI bike?? Do you twist the throttle or leave it alone??

How do you address the cam chain tensioner issue??
You need a GOOD battery. To start turn the switch on, kill switch to RUN, let the ENGINE lite go out and push the start button {count to three it should start.}. No throttle needed. It should fast idle, then slow down to 1K.

The tensioners should be OK with that many miles on it.

The leak is Orings you can get at ACE hardware.
Fourcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra89Rider View Post
Why is this in the EVO section?
Good catch, Ultra! It's in this section because I thought in '99 they were still evo's. My mistake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement