98 Evo Ultra Sat for 2 Years and Won't Start : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Evolution Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Ted Zackro wants to know Dino or Syn?
98 Evo Ultra Sat for 2 Years and Won't Start

I have a 98 Evo Ultra that Sat for 2 Years and Won't Start now.
The engine turns over real fast like there's no compression?
I checked for spark and didn't see any?
Could this be bled down lifters or stuck valves?
Haven't got a chance to check with a compression gage to verify.

Thanks and regards,
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 12:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
HATER OF THE GRAVEL!!!!!!

Jeffytune is reading this now saying WTF is this?
It could be the rings have dried out and stuck. You can try pulling the spark plugs and use about 2 oz. of sea foam decarbonizer . Let it sit overnight and the then (And do unplug the coil and put a couple towels over the spark plug holes) crank over the engine to push out the excess. Then pour in some engine 20/50 (1 oz.) and again crank it around until it stops blowing it out the spark plug hole.
Put the spark plugs back in and hook the coil back up. You really need to move the bike outside, it is going to smoke like all heck once it starts, run it and you should run it around the block until the smoke stops, then change the oil.

2010 FLHTCUI
96 CID w/ the quiet 6 speed
K&N RK-3930 air filter
Harley quiet high flow 110 mufflers
Vance and Hines Fuelpak

I have learned, Just say NO to Dyno's!
Member DooF Clenas , and proud of it.

Professional Rockat Surgen
Disclaimer.
I do not work for Vance and Hines, I just like their stuff. Any suggestions I make are to be used at your own risk.
Jeffytune is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 07:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

jammer45u is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffytune View Post
It could be the rings have dried out and stuck. You can try pulling the spark plugs and use about 2 oz. of sea foam decarbonizer . Let it sit overnight and the then (And do unplug the coil and put a couple towels over the spark plug holes) crank over the engine to push out the excess. Then pour in some engine 20/50 (1 oz.) and again crank it around until it stops blowing it out the spark plug hole.
Put the spark plugs back in and hook the coil back up. You really need to move the bike outside, it is going to smoke like all heck once it starts, run it and you should run it around the block until the smoke stops, then change the oil.

You also need spark. When you checked for spark did you have the plugs grounded. They won't spark hanging down along the cylinder. Get some insulated pliers and hold the plug against the head to ground it. If you still aren't getting spark you need to address that issue as well.
jammer45u is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 05:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer45u View Post

You also need spark. When you checked for spark did you have the plugs grounded. They won't spark hanging down along the cylinder. Get some insulated pliers and hold the plug against the head to ground it. If you still aren't getting spark you need to address that issue as well.
Hi,
I appreciate the reply guys,

I checked for spark by pulling off one of the plug caps and connecting to a spare plug and metal contact with the ground electrode while turning over the engine.

I also remember reading that you need compression in the cylinders otherwise you won't get a spark.

Can someone verify/provide info on this?

Also the electrodes were not oil/fuel fouled even after spraying starter fluid/ether in the induction module/manifold.

I will check with a compression gage when I get home.

Thanks and regards,

Last edited by Ted Zackro; 07-31-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Ted Zackro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

59panhead wants to know Dino or Syn?
spark should happen as the motor turns you dont need compression for this step!

get out what ever fuel is in the tank I have started motors that sat for 15-20 + years I would change all the fluids too! including the fork oil and brake fluid !

if the bike ran before it sat 2 yrs then a good battery and fresh plugs should get her to pop also theres the chance you not getting fuel because it went solid like varnish in the system carb or EFI if your getting gas in the intake thats a good thing!

I have a spray can I put race fuel in to start race and or old motors! a few sprays and it should POP! then run the seafoam with a gallon of good non ethenol race fuel and run it till she warms up ! Also get the Oil and Filter changed before you run it to long
59panhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

monkeyboy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Zackro View Post
Hi,
....I also remember reading that you need compression in the cylinders otherwise you won't get a spark.

Can someone verify/provide info on this?.....
That's only true on later model bikes that have more sensors (ion sensor to be exact) on them
Old 08-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

I appreciate all the input received so far.

I still have a no-spark condition when the engine is turning over.

I am getting no power to the coil.

The ignition fuse is good with power conformed at the fuse block.

I swapped the ignition circuit breaker/relay for the brake one and still no power at the coil terminal.

I changed out the induction module due to a bad idle air control actuator.
Is there anything on the induction module/sensors that would affect the ignition circuit?

Any additional input /brainstorming appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Old 08-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

webco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a 95th also, let it sit for 3 yrs, ( long story, bolts in my back) . Drain gas tank by taking the crossover line off, change all three oils, it started right off. Did not turn over more than 5 times... Now with that said, if you have as much as 3 cc's of water in your tank, the sensor will kill the ignition for you. Clean and fill tank, it's not that hard or take that much time to do correctly by pulling it off . If I can do it, you can too.
webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Also , I think your 95th is almost as good looking as mine is !!!
Old 08-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by webco2 View Post
I have a 95th also, let it sit for 3 yrs, ( long story, bolts in my back) . Drain gas tank by taking the crossover line off, change all three oils, it started right off. Did not turn over more than 5 times... Now with that said, if you have as much as 3 cc's of water in your tank, the sensor will kill the ignition for you. Clean and fill tank, it's not that hard or take that much time to do correctly by pulling it off . If I can do it, you can too.
Harley fuel tanks now have water sensorshuh

Anyway the tank had Stabil added when stored and was drained prior to removing.

I need input to address a no-spark condition!

Thanks and regards,
Old 08-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

ok ... no spark.. right out of the book..
9) Loose wire connection at the coil, battery, or plug between the ignition sensor and module.
10) Faulty ignition coil.
11) Faulty ignition sensor.
also if water hits the fuel pump it will kill the ignition sensor. I learned that the hard way. took the local harley dealer 2 days and 14 hours of labor to find out I had a small amount of water in my fuel filter.
NOW I do all my own trouble shooting befor I even think about letting them touch anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.