Evo Engine : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Evolution Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Texasrider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Evo Engine

Just wanted an opinion from some of you if you don't mind. Are Evo engines typical quiet or a little noisy ? I have a 1996 Evo Ultra. I like the bike and have learned to live with the noise. Just seems extra noisy to me. Would you consider them to be on the noisy side a little. Bike runs great or at least in my mind runs good. I have noticed when you lean back a little and get away from the batwing some, things quieten down. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Texasrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Laughing Poseur

cwilks wants to know Dino or Syn?
the batwing is amplifiying normal mechanical sounds...your fine.
cwilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

cernunos wants to know Dino or Syn?
Halloo. +1. Sheez, have you ever rode an old Shovel, Pan or Knuck? Evo sounds like a sewing machine by comparison, to me anyway. Angel is the first Evo I have owned, and after riding for a bit I'm thinking "man these things are really quiet". After awhile I started noticing the traditional air-cooled vibes...they were there, just not as amplified. My Brother, on the other hand, came back after a little putt on her and was asking me if it was getting ready to fly apart...(he rides Ninjas and stuff like that).

C.......
cernunos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Thanks for the thoughts. Appreciate it. I really like the bike. At first, I began to hate the noise but it has grown a little on me now. cwilks you are right, the wife said it seems quiet to her sitting in the back. She just hears the exhaust.
Cernunos,
This is first Harley I have owned. 14 or so other bikes have been metric. My 2006 Boulevarde is way quiet compared to the Ultra but I ride the ultra about 95 percent of the time. I probably should sell the Boulevarde no more than I ride it.
Thanks
Old 03-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

lucille wants to know Dino or Syn?
As others have mentioned, fairings etc. will make the bike sound different. Many variables involved.
A stock Evo/aluminum pushrods, and milder cam ramps, is quieter than the same Evo with steel pushrods, and higher lift-quicker ramps....
The steel pushrods seem to transmit noise more than the aluminum pushrods. The front exhaust valve/rocker arm/pushrod clatter is more noticible.

Ear plugs can be your friend......
lucille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by cernunos View Post
Halloo. +1. Sheez, have you ever rode an old Shovel, Pan or Knuck? Evo sounds like a sewing machine by comparison, to me anyway. Angel is the first Evo I have owned, and after riding for a bit I'm thinking "man these things are really quiet". After awhile I started noticing the traditional air-cooled vibes...they were there, just not as amplified. My Brother, on the other hand, came back after a little putt on her and was asking me if it was getting ready to fly apart...(he rides Ninjas and stuff like that).

C.......
All depends on where you're standing, doesn't it? I love the 'machineness' of Harleys.

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Lucille, you made a comment about the front exhaust valve being a little noisier. At times the bike seems quieter than others. Sometimes after coming in from a ride, the top seems to rattle a bit more than other times. Two different shops tell me the bike is OK, but I am back and forth between top end noise and maybe primary noise. Seems most times, while riding, if you are backed off the throttle, say almost coasting, bike is relatively quiet. If you throttle slightly, the bike has a good bit of rattling. I have a base gasket leak and the shop said they fix that and hone the cylinders and put new rings in. I have 56,000 on the bike, maybe once they perform this, they might tell me a little more about the top end anyway. I ride it everyday, but I guess I have just gotten use to the noise. Thanks
Old 07-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

gb1500 wants to know Dino or Syn?
ive been touching up a 92 police for a friend now over the years and it runs smoother than a b twinkie and fast and i cant under stand it!!...i rejet and tricked out the carb a while back...stock duals...knocked thru....pretty still quiet....nose cone looks untouched...my 91 is very smooth and fast but this 92 evo is not of this earth!
gb1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I know there are many experienced and knowledgeable people here. Is it normal for there to be a noticable amount of clatter while at cruising speeds ? A guy at work ask me to take his 94 Ultra for a spin to see the difference. I must say, his was a good bit quieter than mine. Love the bike, hate the noise. As you throttle, is it normal to hear a noticeable difference in engine noises it makes from normal cruising ? Thanks
Old 07-15-2012, 12:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

tussuck wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had the tap tap noise at all speeds and on the open road it was very noticable when i listened for it. Was like that for 15+ years and caused by my EV35 Cam - I know because i just swapped out to a mild S&S unit and suddenly all the tap tap is gone!
tussuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by tussuck View Post
I had the tap tap noise at all speeds and on the open road it was very noticable when i listened for it. Was like that for 15+ years and caused by my EV35 Cam - I know because i just swapped out to a mild S&S unit and suddenly all the tap tap is gone!
A cam'll sure do it. I think mine's accentuated by the fairing too.

joe
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Old 07-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Laughing Poseur

cwilks wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
A cam'll sure do it. I think mine's accentuated by the fairing too.

joe
yep....just come offa a trip to Omaha on my FXR...470 each way...lean your head down and put your chin on your chest while riding at 80...sweet sweet music
cwilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

The one shop said he was pretty sure it had a cam. Don't know how a harley sounds with a cam but at 900 or so rpm's, it has a real definite lope in the motor. I am going to have the shop do a top end and replace the base gaskets. I was reading else wheres, in the primary section, one person give a very good description of his problem with primary noise. He had replaced his with a SE comp, which is now producing all kinds of noise. His description sounds a lot like what I hear. If the harley is supposed to be that noisy, so be it. I just can't imagine one to be made that way. If you're sitting at idle, it relatively quiet. Throttle it some and you definitely hear noise in the primary area but the shop checked it out. Bike runs great though, rode home from work today in a downpour. Definitely wasn't a dry ride today.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Sturg wants to know Dino or Syn?
All bikes have a cam. It wouldn't run without one.

Sent from my MB860 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Sturg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturg View Post
All bikes have a cam. It wouldn't run without one.

Sent from my MB860 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Give me a second here- let me write that one down.

Ok, got it.

joe
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Sponsored Links
Advertisement