50,000 mile EVO maintenance : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Evolution Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 10:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Evolutionfab wants to know Dino or Syn?
50,000 mile EVO maintenance

Hey guys -

I just picked up a 1996 FLHT with 46,000 on the clock. The bike runs great and I don't see any leaks. I don't have any history on the bike. I just changed all the fluids and changed the regulator and stator. The bike wasn't charging but is now.

I plan on putting some major miles on this bike this year...including some long two-up trips.

My question is what maintenance should I do this winter to make the bike is ready to go in the spring? Lifters? Cam bearings?

Thanks much,

Joe
Evolutionfab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 07:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

dirtyshoprags wants to know where he is and how he got here
Man, if it's not burning any oil and you can't hear any slop in it, I would just ride it.

Just ride it as much as possible before you take your trips, that way if anything goes wrong you can take care of it.
dirtyshoprags is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 07:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

waynehead99 wants to know Dino or Syn?

The stock Evo's were pretty bullet proof with proper up keep. You replaced the reg and stator, so it sounds like you know what your doing... just take care of it and ride the hell out of it.
waynehead99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 07:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

brownfoxx1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
IF YOU HAVE THE CAPABILITY do a compression test, fuel pressure test, check all hoses
for condition, when the bike is overnight-cold crank it up and do light sprays of starting fluid aroud the intake manifold looking for rpm increase.ck tires for side wall cracks, brake pads for condition, have the battery load tested, grease the steering head bearings as well as repack the wheel bearings .
i know this sounds like a lot of preventative maint but this bike is new to you so unless you can find out in the local shops or dealers have taken care of the bike. then i suggest you go thru as many of the regular service items as you can . then i think you will have a great trip.if you have the wheels off spray soapy water on the tire bead and valve stem looking for bubbles. roll-on and throttle-up.
brownfoxx1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 11:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

1993FLHS wants to know Dino or Syn?
Check drive belt tension and RW alignment. Repack wheel bearings. Grease triple tree bearings (should be a zirc on the frame). Replace fork oil.
1993FLHS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

93Horse wants to know Dino or Syn?
Do everything listed in your service manual for a 50K check and you should be good to go.
I ride a 93 flhtp with 93k and is as strong as ever.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

jammer45u is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Congratulations on your new bike.

I have a 96 FLHT with well over 100,000 miles on it. So far other than normal maintenance items the only issues I've had are:

Inner cam bearing needed to be replaced about 30,000 miles.
base gaskets were leaking a little then also
broke a drive belt about 50,000 but it had two holes in it when I got the bike
speedo drive and cable a couple of times
clutch cable once - too much lube.. lol
clutch at about 100,000 but I did that myself doing slow speed skills practice
the radio just quit last year

Enjoy your new ride and go with confidence. The evo is a great motor.
jammer45u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 05:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Evolutionfab wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks Guys! I appreciate it!

Well, considering it was 59 degrees here today in Columbus, OH I played a little hookey and put about 100 miles on her today. She runs great all through the RPM range. However, I did notice a small amount of oil at the base of the front cylinder after the 1st ride. So, I'm guessing gaskets will need to be done at some point. Not a huge deal, I was planning on doing a top end at some point anyway.

So, a question when replacing the base gaskets should I do head gaskets as well? Maybe do a little head work? What's a good resource for gaskets?

Also, somewhere along the line someone took the baffles out of the pipes. 1st and 2nd gear are a little too loud for my tastes. Any advice on a good set of slip-on's?

Thanks again!
Evolutionfab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 07:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

cernunos wants to know Dino or Syn?
Halloo. Agree with everyone else...if it ain't broke, don't fix it. And if you pull the cylinders you will be pulling the heads, so when you do the bases also do the heads. With 46K, if you do that stuff then I would also have a good valve job done by a reputable shop. People say the stock heads are good for up to around 90 HP or so, so I would stay away from any porting. As far as gaskets, James is a good brand, get them through J&P or your local indy shop I would say. Cometic is another good one...although that can start arguments with some builders.

C........
cernunos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

jgc89 wants to know Dino or Syn?
i got 91000 on my 89 flhs just normal maintance and ride.
jgc89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Texasrider wants to know Dino or Syn?
I bought mine used with 42,000 on it, it is a 96. I had the maintenance thing done at 51,000. They did tighten the steering and I had the stator and regulator changed about 1,000 ago. I had to get used to the various noises but after listening to others on the forum here. I pretty much ride it, like one said " if it isn't broke ". I've put a good deal of miles on it. Two trips to New Mexico, Big Bend and a lot other trips here around Texas. Best I can tell it's a good motor.
Texasrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

tweaked1973 wants to know Dino or Syn?
For gaskets I would use Cometic. Also make sure that the cylinder based are dead flat, they have a habit or not being flat after all those thermal cycles. A good machine chop can true them on a lathe for cheap.

As far as other work I would do when I "was in there" You have to do the rocker box gaskets and the head gaskets when you do the base gaskets. I would have a good local machine shop do a valve job, I would fun a ball hone through the jugs and replace the rings, not because it needs it, but because it will never be cheaper to do it, and it will already be apart. If you want to mess with the heads just blend the seats and smooth out the seams. I would also replace the inner cam bearing with a full compliment unit, cheap insurance and most of the work will be done anyway. And lastly if you think you will ever want a cam in it that would be the time to do it.
tweaked1973 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #13 (permalink)

WakkoSS wants to know Dino or Syn?
You can add lollipops to the mufflers instead of slip ons, if you need to save a few pennies.
WakkoSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

4XLT wants to know Dino or Syn?
this is a few months old and your probably into it already but here goes... like said above, these motors run forever as long as you keep the oil changed. once you have the cylinders off you'll need a complete top end gasket kit Cometic is a very good one. while you have everything apart clean up the bore and new rings is a must as is a valve job, while your in there get it done. also the inner cam bearing should be changed as well as the cam, Harley should have put a .495-.510 lift cam from stock it really wakes up the motor, a Andrews EV-27 is a great choice as is the Woods W-6... as far as exhaust, stay with the stock head pipe/crossover and get a decent set of slipons that ar free flowing and you'll have a great running reliable bike! luck.
heads Hillside valve job port and polish.. 200 ccp
1.90 int 1.625 ex
Wood W6-H cam
DynaTech 2000 ignition
big sucker with zippers big filter
Vance & Hines Pro Pipe
4XLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.