OK to Jumpstart w/Car Battery? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Evolution Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2003, 09:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

SportsHog wants to know Dino or Syn?
OK to Jumpstart w/Car Battery?

Was cruisin around yesterday on my 1200 Sportster and stopped to chat with a fellow Harley rider.I hit the kill button and got to talkin and my dumba$$ forgot to turn the switch off.After about 30 minutes or so with the switch on naturally the battery was dead.Didnt have any choice but to jumpstart with a guys Jeep.We didnt start the Jeep just put the cables on.Bike started immediately but was wondering if this has ever fouled anything up on a Harley.Everthing seems to work ok..but have heard people say never to do this.What ya'll think?
SportsHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2003, 01:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

shovelbolle wants to know Dino or Syn?
hi,
when you haven`t got a choice (pushstart ?) ,what to do ?
A car`s battery has got a far bigger capacity (Amperehours AH) .
So it`s not the best idea when the starting procedure takes too long cause then It is possible that you burn some fuses the wiring .

With modern bikes you might face probs with electronic equipment (fuel-injection, on-board computer)
A RESET (don`t we know this one all...no joke) might occur, the anti theft device might go off and every biker in that parkinglot is jumping you....
Kidding, however anything electronical is quite sensitive to overcharge .

I even heard that car companies are advising against pushstarting a (modern) car cause the sudden charge combined with some missing parameters (enginespeed blabla) could destroy some equipment.

Ilovemykicker
ray
shovelbolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 09:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
FNG :)

Sick Pig wants to know Dino or Syn?
You did OK by not starting the car. But be sure and IMMEDIATELY remove the cables. Gotta do what you gotta do. After only 30 minutes with the key on (and I assume the headlight) it still should have started. Maybe time for a new battery.

Mark
Sick Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 10:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

SportsHog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Mark:Yeah i guess under normal situation it would have started.But i have the two additional lights...passing lamps i think they're called...and they were on as well...and i have'nt been getting a lot of riding time lately so the battery hasnt been getting juiced.I put a trickle charge on it overnite and i think its ok.By the way what kind of charging system does an Evo 1200 have?Thanks...Dave
SportsHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 10:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
FNG :)

Sick Pig wants to know Dino or Syn?
A Sporty has an alternator just like a Big Twin. 32 amp. Stator and rotor inside the primary.

Mark
Sick Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 10:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
FOG

trooper113 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I jumpstarted my son's car from my FXRT about 8-9 years ago. No problems. He thought that was pretty cool.
trooper113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 04:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

K McGee wants to know Dino or Syn?
Your bike and a car is the same voltage, 12 volt system, it will make no difference if you use a car battery to start your bike. Your bike will only draw what it needs at start up, no matter what the battery capacity is. If you use a battery thats too small, then it will matter because it won't have the capacity to run your starter.
K McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 10:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

SIDEKICK wants to know Dino or Syn?
the moco doesn't recommend it.

I do, done it enuf times with no ill effects to come to conclusion it doesn't matter as long as you get 12 volts and enuf amperage.

battery failed on Sybil Friday nite 45 miles from home at 1 in the a.m.
sitting there in parking lot, pickup truck pulls up asks if I got a problem etc.. jump start bike, ride all the way home on alternator. the battery had a shorted cell.
SIDEKICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 10:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

K McGee wants to know Dino or Syn?
The only reason the moco doesn't recommend it is because someone could accidently connect the cables backwards and damage the battery and or electronics on the bike, and they dont want that to happen if the bike is in warranty!
K McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement