Derby Cover O Ring : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Evolution Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 07:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

PacBlue wants to know Dino or Syn?
Derby Cover O Ring

Did a quick search on this subject and didn't come up with anything so I'll post the questin.

Does anyone still sell the large derby cover o-ring? Went to the local HD shop and they gave me a paper gasket. I forgot all about these new gaskets. I tried using one 4 years ago when I lived in Vegas. It leaked like sieve. Managed to reuse my old O ring. Not sure how may more times I can pop that cover off and re-use it. Mechanic at the dealer feels I have a warped deby cover. All I know it's never leaked with an o-ring, and leakes with the new paper gasket.
PacBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 08:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

98 FLHX wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacBlue View Post
Did a quick search on this subject and didn't come up with anything so I'll post the questin.

Does anyone still sell the large derby cover o-ring? Went to the local HD shop and they gave me a paper gasket. I forgot all about these new gaskets. I tried using one 4 years ago when I lived in Vegas. It leaked like sieve. Managed to reuse my old O ring. Not sure how may more times I can pop that cover off and re-use it. Mechanic at the dealer feels I have a warped deby cover. All I know it's never leaked with an o-ring, and leakes with the new paper gasket.
Same thing here....bought an O-Ring gasket from my local indy.
Those paper gaskets are worthless.

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

10:1 JE Pistons
Heads by GMR Performance
Ness Big Sucker
Mikuni HSR 42
V-Thunder 3040 Cam
Dyna 2000 Ignition
Thunderheader

Last edited by 98 FLHX; 03-24-2010 at 08:23 PM.
98 FLHX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 08:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

pulidog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Eastern Performance sells the o-ring
WWW.EASTERNPERFORMANCE.COM
pulidog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 08:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

NHFree1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have one of those crappy paper ones too. They sold it to me when I bought the stuff to do my first oil change after buying the bike. I had the o-ring in mine and consider it much better than the crappy paper gasket. I've reused my o-ring four times so far. Last time I placed an order from J&P Cycles I ordered a spare. Not 100% sure which one you need. In case you don't have a catalog, the one for 1984-99 Evo big twin is J&P Part number 6300318 ($2.99). You should be able to search that part number and order it on their website.

"To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will." Ronald Reagan
NHFree1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

wanna ride wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just did a total rebuild on my 89 evo and the james engine kit came with a paper/rubber seal gasket. I kept the old o-ring in case this new gasket doesn\t work out.

Lynn
wanna ride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2010, 02:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

DynaPat wants to know Dino or Syn?
O ring is still available. Can't remember where I got my last one but I too had tried the gasket thing, and I too had nothing but a giant leak. Normally I'd toss it and chalk it up to a lesson learned, but I was so pissed off at this for some reason I took it back and got my money back.

That being said, in 10+ years of Harley ownership, I have yet to get a new O ring to seat in the groove long enough to get the cover on. Not once, but not for lack of trying. I tried all sorts of crap at the suggestion of people here and on other forums. Gave up. Yeah, ok call me an incompetent boob, I don't care. I just could never get it to stick.

The last time I had the primary cover off, I laid it flat, put the o ring in, and bolted the derby cover on before putting the outer primary cover back on. Gravity never fails.
DynaPat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2010, 08:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

NHFree1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaPat View Post
That being said, in 10+ years of Harley ownership, I have yet to get a new O ring to seat in the groove long enough to get the cover on. Not once, but not for lack of trying. I tried all sorts of crap at the suggestion of people here and on other forums. Gave up. Yeah, ok call me an incompetent boob, I don't care. I just could never get it to stick.
It's amazing how well a little grease put on the o-ring while holding it in place will hold it there so you can get the cover on it. I usually dab a little on in four locations. Works well every time.

"To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will." Ronald Reagan
NHFree1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2010, 10:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHFree1 View Post
It's amazing how well a little grease put on the o-ring while holding it in place will hold it there so you can get the cover on it. I usually dab a little on in four locations. Works well every time.

Yup, so it is said. Tried many types of greases. I almost got it with some RTV one time, but it always seems like the O ring is just a hair larger than the groove, and keeps popping up in one spot, then it flys out like it was spring loaded. Maybe I'll try to get a video of my futile attempts the next time I try, it would be great entertainment for everyone.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

bill corkey wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacBlue View Post

i have used the o ring type over and over.
2006 sportster roadster
bill corkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2010, 12:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Ed Y wants to know Dino or Syn?
DynaPat,

Have you tried putting the O ring in the freezer over a few hours, then installing it with a little grease or vaseline to hold it in? the freezing will shrink it.
Ed Y is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2010, 01:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

head wants to know Dino or Syn?
i used to always keep a new spare o ring in the shop for mine. dont make the mistake of hanging it on a nail or something like that. when it warms up in the shop, the new one would actually stretch from hanging and will not fit in any way.

i always put a dab of grease out of my grease gun and it holds it in place fine.

a wrench i know said put the oring in. and if it up in one spot,simply spin the derby cover around some putting pressure against it. then ease the cover back and you'll see oring in place and can mount the cover then. i just never had to try it though.

head
head is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2010, 11:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

chopit wants to know Dino or Syn?
jireh has o-rings 9 bucks i think
chopit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010, 03:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Y View Post
DynaPat,

Have you tried putting the O ring in the freezer over a few hours, then installing it with a little grease or vaseline to hold it in? the freezing will shrink it.
Hmmm. Nope, that one I didn't try. I did the freezer thing for the carburetor slide diaphragm though. It seemed to help. Really wasn't all that hard.

Thanks.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Papa John wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've been using the paper gasket with about as much luck as the big O-Ring. I have trouble with both but mine is the older (98 Roadking) three hole cover. Always been a problem since day one, for me, for dealers, and for non-dealers. For the seven or eight years I've done my own fluid changes with just a few exceptions. Just put an Amsoil synthetic in my primary, used a paper gasket, had a leak and then read this post. So now I've done the freezer/grease trick, changed to an O-Ring and we'll see if it is an improvement on the paper. Can't believe anyone got their money back from the dealer for a paper gasket. My hat's off to you on that one. I'll try and remember to let you know after I have it up to full operating temp on a warm day. Ride Safe.
Papa John is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Ed Y wants to know Dino or Syn?
Papa John,

If you're having that much trouble, I'd put the derby cover on a flat piece of glass and make sure it isn't warped.

And unless you're adjusting the clutch, there really is no reason to take the derby cover off. Just remove the chain inspection cover, check the primary chain and fill with primary oil thru that hole.
Ed Y is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.