blowing oil-evo bottom breather : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Evolution Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2009, 09:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

valkdon wants to know Dino or Syn?
blowing oil-evo bottom breather

Got a question for the experts. I have a 87 low rider evo motor bottom breather. Last winter I tore her down repainted the motor, jugs, everything. Took the jugs to a hd dealer had them bored. They bored them 20 over, I got new pistons and rings. Did the assembly and disassembly myself. This bike has close to 5000 miles on it and it still blows oil out the bottom vent. I have been told that the rings arn't seated yet. It uses about 1/4 of a quart of oil every 400 miles. This bike did not leake a drop before I did the motor work. How long should it take for rings to seat or is there a fix for my problem? Thanks for any help! This bike has no motor problems other than that.
valkdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2009, 09:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Woody218 wants to know Dino or Syn?
If the rings aren't seated after 5000 miles, they ain't ever gonna seat!
Old 05-24-2009, 12:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I agree with that. I would think the rings are seated by now. The problem with the bottom venters is there's nowhere for the oil to go except the ground. Can't figure out why it is doing it now and wasn't before. Rebuilding the top end is pretty easy and it wasn't my first one.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Dan89FLSTC wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just thinking out loud here...

Partially restricted oil return line.

Wrong oil filter.

Oil level too high in tank.

Damaged/upside down piston ring.

Crappy bore job.

All can cause oil to blow out the breather.
Dan89FLSTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Oil line not restricted, hd oil filter,oil level has not been to high but I did put to much in before the 400 mile trip, but it was to the level I used to run before the top end rebuild. Noted, I will keep it low and see what happens. Piston rings are right and undamaged (99% sure) Bore job, I didn't do but hd stealer did. I can only assume they know what they are doing. Sick of the oil dripping and will probably get rid of her. Have spent till I am spent out.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Evo filters are different than filters for Twin Cam engines, many parts counter guys don`t know that, make sure you have the right one.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

running the same filter I was running before rebuild.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Is it an EVO filter?
Old 05-28-2009, 07:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

olmate wants to know Dino or Syn?
99% sure on the piston rings... did you read install instructions for each ring on the packet before you put em on... ie dots or bevelled edge correct way up? I know you said the stealer bored out your jugs but did you give em a nice hot soapy scrub out then one with some petty (gas) and finally a good oily rag wipe through b4 install??
Old 05-28-2009, 07:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I was meaning 99% on the bore job, it was done at the hd stealership. The rings are in there right as is everything I did to the motor. I am going to do a leak down test if I can find some more info about how to do it.

To Dan 89, yes it is an evo filter, the same one I have run for the last 4 years.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Here`s a good home built leak down tester:
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/mot.../leakdown.html
Old 05-29-2009, 11:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

kennyflhr wants to know Dino or Syn?
check oil pump

If your oil pump isn't scavenging the oil out of the bottom end, it will fill up the case & puke out the vent. Check for sheered keys or maybe worn out pump? Also check the breaqther gear in the cam chest The stock plastic P.O.S. can get pieces of metal or carbon embeded in them & score the case. If this happens,or the breather gear is out of time, you get pressure in the bottom end & oil gets blown out the vent. You can buy over size breather gears & the tool to cut out the damage to the case. Let me know how it goes. good luck.
kennyflhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I had already checked the breather gear, it is timed right. The oil pump is the original pump. It is pumping back to the tank I have checked it by looking in the tank and reving up the motor. If it is worn, will it cause oil to vent out the bottom?

Thanks dan for the leak down tester. I am going to wait after the weekend to do any more testing. Its riding time now.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Decided to go ahead with the leak down test this morning. I borrowed a tester from a friend. I had 1% leak on both cylinders at 100 psi. I could not hear any air coming from anywhere. I had my old lady help and she has good hearing. She couldn't hear any air leaking either. I am suspecting maybe the oil pump or what else is there?
Old 05-31-2009, 03:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

1/4 quart every 400 miles is not a lot of oil being used. It looks like you have a good sealing motor as far as the rings and valves go. That small amount could be going past the valve stem seals, which will not show up on a leak down test. Do you still have your crankcase breather routed up to the carb backing plate? If so you will probably notice oil,
especially after you run it hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement