Oil Blowing Out Of Carb : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Evolution Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 08:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

byaffe wants to know Dino or Syn?
Oil Blowing Out Of Carb

I have a new Harley EVO Engine with a S & S Carbruator. The problem is that the head vent tubes are blowing oil into the air cleaner. What is causing this to happen & how do I fix it?
byaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2009, 08:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Dr.Hess wants to know Dino or Syn?
How much oil? When? Does it do it after sitting a long time or do you notice it after a ride?
"71"

Dr.Hess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 01:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

It blows out when you ride. If you ride it hard it will pour oil out onto the pipes & everywhere. When you stop the air filter just drips & drips. If you go on a 50-70 mile ride you will have to add a quart.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

heavyduty wants to know Dino or Syn?
Damn, that's alot of oil. Check return line to the tank. I have heard of oil in the air filter, that much is insane. What oil filter are you using, evo or twin cam. There is a difference in the micron between the two. If all of that is good, possible bad umbrella valves.
heavyduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Oh, I forgot to mention breather gear, the ones in the evo were plastic, sometime they can go bad or get out of whack
Old 04-19-2009, 05:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyduty View Post
Damn, that's alot of oil. Check return line to the tank. I have heard of oil in the air filter, that much is insane. What oil filter are you using, evo or twin cam. There is a difference in the micron between the two. If all of that is good, possible bad umbrella valves.
What is a Umbrella Valve?
Old 04-19-2009, 05:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyduty View Post
Oh, I forgot to mention breather gear, the ones in the evo were plastic, sometime they can go bad or get out of whack

What is a breather gear?
Old 04-19-2009, 07:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Umbrella valves are inside rocker boxes, they open as crankcase pressure is released up the pushrod tubes, see the thread above this one, crankcase breather gear is inside cam cover works like an oiling timer, this is the best way I can explain it
Old 04-19-2009, 07:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Dr.Hess wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yeah, sounds like you have something wrong there. The umbrella valve is a thingie in the rocker box area that is supposed to keep the oil in the motor and let the gasses out. The breather gear is down next to the cam and is spun by the cam. My bike doesn't have umbrella valves, so I don't claim any additional knowledge. Is the oil coming out of both vents (front and rear cylinder) or just one? If it's just one, I'd look at that umbrella valve. If it's both, well, might wanna take a look down below.

When you say "new Harley Evo engine," what exactly do you mean? How new, where did it come from, who built it, did it ever run without blowing oil out the vents? Could be that the breather gear is out of time.
"71"

Dr.Hess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

mesc376 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hello, is this an evo or what? If my evo ever stops blowing oil Ill think its broken. The manual says it takes 3 quarts. Any more than 2.25 and it will blow oil out of the breathers until it gets where it wants to be. Still blows out when it gets really hot. Oil level never changes once it gets to where it wants to be though. Some oil blowing is normal. Run vent from breather bolt to under the bike to avoid it getting all over. Just my 2 cents tho. Evo's are bulimic!
matt
mesc376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

It is a Harley Crate Motor, new out of the box. Ran fine until I changed the oil & about 50 miles later I noticed the air breather was dripping then last week it started pouring. I added a quart of oil then it even blwe out worse.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:31 AM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Dave63 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Check the part # on your oil filter. If you got one of the new part # 63798-99A filters, it could be causing your issue. Ironic that it just happened after changing oil.....

See this thread: http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/ev...l-filters.html

Last edited by Dave63; 04-20-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Premium Member

Thumbs up Thank You Very Much!

I appreciate all the assistance I have been given. I will start with the filter first, then proceed with the other suggestions if that doesn't work.

I truly appreciate everyones help!

Barry
Old 04-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

RattFXR wants to know Dino or Syn?
I would hate to say it, but if none of those things fix it, then there is a possiblity for cracked compression rings. This will allow combustion chamber pressure into the crankcase and push oil out the breather. The breather gear is designed to keep a negative pressure as the piston rises, this will cause the rings to be "pulled" outward against the cylinder wall. Drill out the drain holes in the rocker boxes, and make sure there are no blockages in the lines.
RattFXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

fxr4mikey wants to know where he is and how he got here
Quote:
Originally Posted by byaffe View Post
It blows out when you ride. If you ride it hard it will pour oil out onto the pipes & everywhere. When you stop the air filter just drips & drips. If you go on a 50-70 mile ride you will have to add a quart.

this clearly is a BIG BIG problem ..... A QUART in 70 miles ???? NO FRIGGN WAY !!!
there must be a hole in the engine !!!
fxr4mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement