Twin Cam A in 98 Road king EVO frame : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Evolution Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 10:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

OneBadFXDWG wants to know Dino or Syn?
Twin Cam A in 98 Road king EVO frame

I have a Harley 88 cu. in. twin cam motor that I want to put in my 98 roadking. I have been researching mounts to adapt this motor to my evo frame. I was wondering if anyone has done this before and could give me some pointers. My evo is getting tired and the twin cam only had 10k on it. Both are carbed. What kind of wiring issues would I be dealing with? Can anyone recommend mounts and what problems I will be running into? Thanks.
OneBadFXDWG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2009, 12:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

KingofCubes wants to know Dino or Syn?
Tc/evo

We just did a 120" TC engine in a 97 Dyna. The wireing harness parts came from R&R Cycle. Talk to Art 603-645-1488. They have a 117 in a EVO Dyna also with the TC/EVO rear adapter plate.

515-266-6381

www.kingofcubes.com

KingofCubes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2009, 07:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

RattFXR wants to know Dino or Syn?
STEP 1. Sell Twinkie
STEP 2. Rebuild EVOLUTION
STEP 3. Kick yourself in the ass for even thinking about doing something so redonkulous.......
STEP 4. Thank me, later. TwinCam=headache. 88A=suicide

Good luck, either way you go...
RattFXR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2009, 10:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ratt....why do you feel that way? I considered going with an ultima 107 but then I saw where there are these mounts that make it possible to put in the twin cam, which I have from a previous project, for way cheaper. I personally like the t/c. Its left over from my 124 FXDWG project.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

King....I read where I have to offset the trans to the left 1/4 inch and put in a 1/4 inch spacer behind the drive sprocket too. Did you have to do this too? From what I read the 88 t/c is offset 1/4 inch so you have to compensate for this. Also, does the ignition control need to be changed too? I have the old one out of the dyna, S&S sent me an IST with the 124. Does the whole harness have to be changed or just a portion? Thanks.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

I feel that way, because if you look at this forum, Twinkie's are the one's with the most engine problems. Yeah evo's have there share of oil leaks and electrical stuff, but you can fix that on the side of the road. Besides upgrading the lifters and cam bearing, nothin has to be done to an EVO. The "a" motors were not that great, hell the twinke has way to many "failure" items in it. I just don't see why anyone would want to go through the hassle of installing a nighmare into an evo style frame. But that's just my personal opinion, and I'm sure many would disagree with me. I know alot of people use them now, but that's because people think that an evo with 50000 miles is "on it's way out". Look, I agree, if you have it and it's free, stuff it in there, I hope it works out. Keep us posted..... I have seen this mounts on a few bikes.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

4XLT wants to know Dino or Syn?
i think i would sell and put that money towards a big inch EVO motor,, just my $.02
heads Hillside valve job port and polish.. 200 ccp
1.90 int 1.625 ex
Wood W6-H cam
DynaTech 2000 ignition
big sucker with zippers big filter
Vance & Hines Pro Pipe
4XLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2009, 06:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

carp06 wants to know Dino or Syn?
88a

Got over 34,000 on a stock 06, haven't had any problems yet.
I have rode many a day with the cruise set on 80, even pulled a trailer a few times. I understand the 88A a good motor if you keep it under 100hp.
carp06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2009, 11:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ok Ratt, thanks for the input. I happen to have an 80 cu. in. in the rk right now with 47000 miles on it. It runs great but lacks on power with all the people I ride with. Its been a great motor with minor oil leaks around the rocker covers that I fixed with the metal gasket upgrade, no other problems. What do you think of the Ultima motors? That is another thought I had had with the 107. I have not committed either way as of yet and am doing a lot of reading and picking brains for opinions. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Premium Member

thewater47 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I will chime in on my 97 efi Ultra with 56K. Had the heads done at the shop, &20 pistons & rings, EV27, Power Commander, Scream Eagle air cleaner, & true dual xover elim pipes. Night and day difference for power. Did not realize it till I went out last winter to visit my daughter in Vegas and rented a stock 07 Ultra. Thought the 6th speed was neat (especially cause people drive 80 to buy a quart of milk there) but for power, sound and feel through the first 4gears....I love my Evo. Just keep an extra bag of cat litter in the garage for the floor.

Last edited by thewater47; 04-10-2009 at 05:44 AM.
thewater47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 08:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

heavyduty wants to know Dino or Syn?
I put a twin cam in my 1995 flhtc. I used the adapter plate, but never really liked because of the way I had to route the return oil line ran it for a couple years, then just bought a twin cam transmission and put in. Ignition harness for the twin cam should plug into the existing harness, it did on mine. Love the twin cam, but hate the cam chain tensioners, had to replace them already at 15,000 miles.
heavyduty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 11:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

gsxrboy96 wants to know where he is and how he got here
Twin cams suck, hows that for a reson.
gsxrboy96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

As for the Ultima motors, they are solid motors. I know that when they first came out they had an issue, but since been fixed. My buddy puts them in all the custom bikes he builds and the customers love'em. I hate to say it, but if I had it to do all over again, I would just have put the 140 in my FXR, it would have cost less then the motor I built and have a little more power. Not to metion a warranty. They are offering great deals on combo kits, and if you have a little bit of cash laying around, it's worth it. I have one of their tranny's and it's great.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

heavyduty...You say that the harness just plugs in? I am wondering about that with the t/c having a different style pickup and plug in for the ignition. Not only does the evo have a different style pickup and a voes switch but it has no map sensor like the t/c. Are you saying that the ignition control box will plug right in? Then what about the map sensor and crank sensor. Where do the wires for that come from? The evo doesnt have any of that. Also are you saying the t/c trans bolted in with the evo frame? I am trying to picture how that was done. The only thing I can think of is that you removed the rear motor mount for the evo. Also, I have read that the t/c is ofset 1/4 inch and both the trans and rear sprocket has to be spaced too. Any thoughts? The more I think about this I am leaning towards the ultima and selling the t/c like some of you have suggested. I have a ton of questions on how to do this and it is getting more complicated as I go. I am going to call R&R this week and talk to Art to kind of get a dollar figure on this.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

heavyduty wants to know Dino or Syn?
You have to buy the ignition harness from harley, about 200.00. Will plug into main harness where you unplugged ignition harness for the evo. It consist of crank sensor wire, map sensor, oil pressure wire. fairly easy to do. I used the carbed ignition for the 1999 twin cam.
heavyduty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.