Tappet Guide block Oil leak : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Evolution Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2003, 10:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

kd460 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Angry Tappet Guide block Oil leak

Hello, 1987 sporty 883. Has always leaked a small amount of oil at the tappet block. There is a small o-ring that acts as a seal between the engine case and the tappet block mating surface. The oil only leaks on the two blocks that feed oil up to the rockers. No leaks from the other two blocks.

Have replaced the o-rings twice now, still leaks a little. Like I said, it has always leaked (I call it sweating oil) since new, and it's getting expensive and time consuming trying to fix. Gasket set is 40.00 every time I tear it apart.

I thought about two different solutions and wanted to run it by someone with wrenching experience.

#1) I measured the O-rings and have come up with 1/2" od, 3/8" id, and 1/16" thick. Please correct me if someone knows if I am wrong in my measurements. I was wondering if a thicker O-ring like 5/64" thick would be a solution.

#2) Using some type of sealant on the mating surfaces like silicone (might be a mother to remove later) or coating the O-rings/mating surfaces with hylomar. At least if I used the hylomar, I would not be so concerned about blocking the oil journal like silicone can.

Just tired of this. It's the only leak on the bike, and if I can get my 1971 triumph to be leak free, I should be able to get this thing leak free!

Thanks for your time, Kevin
kd460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2003, 09:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

flstc wants to know Dino or Syn?
First you need to change your push rods to adjustable ones. Only thing you have to change is the o ring. You are obviousely pulling the heads and replaceing all gaskets. I never put anyting on the o rings. Just clean them, no sealant of any kind. Maby the spring in your push rod covers is weak. To replace the push rods with adjustable ones you will have to cut the old ones with a bolt cutter. If you need assistance adjusting the new ones, ask. Its easy with all the tech help here you can do anything.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
FNG :)

kd460 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks for the reply, yes I have been looking at the pushrods your talking about, tempting but $180.00? Which manufacturer/supplier do you reccomend?

The tappet block is held down by a single 1/4" bolt which is located right near the leaking o-ring. I thought this is what provides the downward force on the o-ring. I never gave the spring any thought. I would think the 1/4" bolt would provide more downward force on that o-ring than anything else. Of course I checked the torque on that bolt. I think I will pick up another set of springs just to be on the safe side.

Yes I would be interested in the adjustment procedure. Is it install when valve is closed and adjust till slight drag while spinning or turning pushrod? Thanks, Kd460
kd460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 08:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

flstc wants to know Dino or Syn?
Rather than try to explain the procedure there is a very detailed procedure for every different motor at this address. http://www.hdcycles.com/techsect.htm
Every adjustment depends on the brand of pushrods you buy. The thread count on the pushrod makes a difference on the adjustment. I personally have V Thunder pushrods but everyone makes one and they are most likely good products.
Advertisement