Sportster ignition in a big twin : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Evolution Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

nmaineron wants to know Dino or Syn?
Sportster ignition in a big twin

Are there any reasons not to run a sportster ignition in a big twin.Are there any benefits to be had?
nmaineron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2009, 07:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Woody218 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Advance curve is different.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

I am sure that it is, but that could be a good thing.If it is a faster curve, a light machine might be able to handle it.

Back when the EVO first came out this was mentioned often but I don't know anyone who tried it and we didn't have this type of forum available to discuss it.

It was generally thought that the first Screaming Eagle units were very close to the Sportster ignition.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

bigbadal wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmaineron View Post
I am sure that it is, but that could be a good thing.If it is a faster curve, a light machine might be able to handle it.

Back when the EVO first came out this was mentioned often but I don't know anyone who tried it and we didn't have this type of forum available to discuss it.

It was generally thought that the first Screaming Eagle units were very close to the Sportster ignition.
Try it and let us know how it works out.
bigbadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

lucille wants to know Dino or Syn?
Sportster Module

You didn't say what your bike was, but the sporty modules were often used in light-weight, carburetor bikes. The sporty modules had a faster ignition curve and a higher rev limit. There were a few diffrent ones out there. I ran one for a number of years in my FXR, but purchased a SE unit, and haven't tried it yet.....crappy weather, snowed yesterday......good luck
lucille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

Thanks Lucille,I was hoping someone would respond without a smart$ss remark.

I would be running it in my FX Springer,carbed,and an EV27 and a tunable disc exhaust.

How did you like it in your FXR?

I have been looking to upgrade my ignition and happened across a couple of sporty mods.I am more curious than anything and the price is really reasonable.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

lucille wants to know Dino or Syn?
Fast Curve...

Hi Nmaineron, With the EV27 in your FX, and a good exhaust like you have, your bike should benefit from a faster curve. My module was an older, now obsolete part. 93FXR (Paul) runs a bike very similar to mine and liked the SE part #32596-96. I was able to get one, but HD isn't stocking them anymore. You may need the adaptive wiring harness. With the CV carb, EV27, headwork, good pipes, and the old sporty module in my bike - the CV mid jet from a Dynajet kit didn't work as well as the mid needle from a 1200 sporty. You might have to play around a bit...Overall, the more aggresive curve should be a nice upgrade.......happy trails, Greg
lucille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

98 FLHX wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yes, the advance curve is different, as well as a higher rev limit.
I would think if you are running a decent cam, and higher compression, it should run well, however, not sure of the rev limits. I think I've seen 8000 rpm limits on some, and I don't think I'd want that in my bike...guess it depends on which module you have....

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

10:1 JE Pistons
Heads by GMR Performance
Ness Big Sucker
Mikuni HSR 42
V-Thunder 3040 Cam
Dyna 2000 Ignition
Thunderheader

Old 04-03-2009, 07:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Former Marine

tx_shooter wants to know Dino or Syn?
If your looking for a more aggressive advance curve - without loosing the safety of the rev limiter - get the Crane Hi 4 Ignition. I have it on my Fat Boy and it runs great. I like the fact that it is greatly adjustable from the ignition curve, to single/ dual fire, adjustable rev limiter, single spark or multiple spark discharge. It really is a pretty nice little box that does a good job. Just something to think about...
Old 04-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this? FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this?
You might also look into the DTT unit for carb bikes. It'a an older one - I have it on an 03. You can adjust curves and the rev limiter as-needed.
S&S stuff.
Baisley Pro Street heads
+ Level 2 Mojo.
Badass pipe.
Torq Monster Motorworks
spec'd & built, extra "Special Sauce."
142HP - 148TQ SAE / 145/151 STD. More there.
Jimmy crack corn and I don't care.
FXDRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

bigbadal wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmaineron View Post
Thanks Lucille,I was hoping someone would respond without a smart$ss remark.

I would be running it in my FX Springer,carbed,and an EV27 and a tunable disc exhaust.

How did you like it in your FXR?

I have been looking to upgrade my ignition and happened across a couple of sporty mods.I am more curious than anything and the price is really reasonable.
nmaineron,

"try it" was not really supposed to sound like a "smart ass" comment. Sometimes the written word doesn't come off as one would like without having been able to hear the voice behind it. It seemed to me that you really wanted to do the sportster ign thing in your bike, and it was only a simple short encouragement to you. Apoligies from me. Alan
bigbadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Premium Member

bigbadal,thanks,no prob....
Old 11-18-2009, 11:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
FNG :)

antone2132 wants to know Dino or Syn?
sportster se module on 98 fxd

I have a modified 98 fxd with a 1200 sporty se module on it. I have no detionation and get extrem accelration for 98.00$ !!
antone2132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

mtkawboy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ive had one on my 95 Fatboy since it was brand new, you run it the lower of the 2 curves. No more HP but more responsive, timing comes in quicker. There is only one that fits the 95 wire harness and it has a 6000 rpm rev limiter. If you want Ill take the seat off & get you the part number. Its 80inches, Mackie ported heads Compcam 3030 530 lift 240/240, S-Trapp 2-1, stock carb with SE air cleaner,made 78 hp on dyno
mtkawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement