priming an EVO oil pump : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Evolution Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 09:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

alsultra wants to know Dino or Syn?
priming an EVO oil pump

After cleaning and inspecting an EVO oil pump how do you prime it? On automotive engines I pack the pump cavity with heavy grease.Should that be done on an EVO pump?The manual doesn't say anything about priming.
alsultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2009, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsultra View Post
After cleaning and inspecting an EVO oil pump how do you prime it? On automotive engines I pack the pump cavity with heavy grease.Should that be done on an EVO pump?The manual doesn't say anything about priming.
just keep priming with oil.
No grease
Start and check pressure if none stop motor prime again with oil. repeat untill you build pressure.
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsultra View Post

Remove both screw caps and remove the check ball and slide. Then pour oil in both. Continue to pour oil in until it will not take any more or you decide that it has to be more than enough. Replace ball, slide, springs and caps.

Check out Ride of the Month

207-621-8089
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Bullwinkle wants to know Dino or Syn?
>>...remove the check ball...<<

Is there any chance of magnetizing the check ball if you use a pencil magnet to pull it out?

Bullwinkle
Bullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
A basic magnet like the kind on the end of an antenna for retrieving parts should be fine to use. Use the least powerful magnet you can and it should not effect the check ball enough to worry about. If you use a magnet that can pick up a car, I would replace the check ball just to be safe.

Check out Ride of the Month

207-621-8089
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

alsultra wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks for the info.There are other methods besides a magnet to get that ball out such as my mytvac or a dab of grease on a piece of tubing.But I wouldn't think a weak magnet would hurt.Now I know how to prime an EVO oil pump.
alsultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement