No oil pressure on EVO after rebuild : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Evolution Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 01:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Ray galetti wants to know Dino or Syn?
Cool No oil pressure on EVO after rebuild

All: I just completed a rebuild on an 1999 EVO Softail. New crank pin, rebuilt heads, new oil pump housing, KB pistons etc. Upon start up, I had no oil pressure even after about 30 seconds. So I pulled the gear cover and verified the oil pump drive gear key was ok, I disassembled the oil pump and insured the keys were in place, blew through the oil filter supply line and noted pressure in the oil tank, oil pump gears look great, new oil pump housing, and all new oil line hosed from the tank to the engine, all lines are in the proper order.I installed a new check ball and spring, and a new pressure regulator piston and spring, and a new screen filter in the pump. I am about out of ideas on why this pump does not make pressure.Any ideas would be appreciated.
Regards,
Ray
Ray galetti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2009, 02:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
First guess is going to be lines even though you said they are in order. Confirm you have oil flow from the oil tank to the inlet of the oil pump. Do this by removing the line and letting oil flow from the line. If it does not, oil can't get to the pump.

Next, did you prime the pump? Air can prevent oil from being pumped. if it is not primed, remove both screw caps and remove the check ball and slide. Then pour oil in both. Continue to pour oil in until it will not take any more or you decide that it has to be more than enough. Replace ball, slide, springs and caps. Now try again.

If you used assembly lube and didn't assemble anything dry, start it up and give it a minute more.

BTW, how did you determine it didn't have oil pressure? If it was from lifter noise, it may take a few minutes before they pump up fully.

Check out Ride of the Month

207-621-8089
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2009, 08:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

1997bagger wants to know Dino or Syn?
Springer located your problem, went thru the same problem on my rebuild, had to remove the witches hat cap, filled pump as Springer instructed and bumped starter, finally had a big gulp of air come out the open witches hat port.
1997bagger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2009, 09:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk is reading this now saying WTF is this?
+1 on what springer said!! you may have to repeat priming a couple of times. been there done that also!
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2009, 12:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

98 FLHX wants to know Dino or Syn?
Springer beat us to it....
Gotta prime the pump.

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

10:1 JE Pistons
Heads by GMR Performance
Ness Big Sucker
Mikuni HSR 42
V-Thunder 3040 Cam
Dyna 2000 Ignition
Thunderheader

Old 01-11-2009, 01:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Thank You All

Springer, I had verified that oil was supplying the pum inlet port. I am going to prime it up as you mentioned, I don't know what else to do. I will let you all know the outcome. Thank you all again for taking the time to reply to my thread.

Regards,
Ray
Old 01-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Suicide Smitty wants to know Dino or Syn?
wow...this site/forum is great!!! I've been a biker since my pre-teens & whenever we had problems..we had to a: figure it out
b: jury rig it
c: go to the neighborhood bike guru
d: go up the creek without a paddle
i see major problems being solved on here in a matter of hours......dealers/service depts would rip you off & make you wait weeks for your bike ...... todays technology is awesome..... back then in 60's & 70's biggest bike was 1200cc's on avg. love choppers in that era.....rat bikes etc. now styles & designs are readily available to anyone with $$$ I myself am looking at the 09 ultra for me & my wife to enjoy ....thank-you all in advance for your help as problems may arise..........Smitty
Suicide Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2009, 07:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Springer, You were correct. I prelubed the pump, fired the engine and had oil pressure immediately. The bike runs great!!!!!!!! Thanks again for your advise.
Regards,
Ray
Old 05-14-2009, 03:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
FNG :)

Tshiner wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just wanted to tag-along to this thread with another oil pump question. I have an early evo with a kickstart. New rings put in recently and motor re-assembled. This is a problem I had before the rebuild... and was hoping it would magically dissappear. I have not rebuilt or done work to the oil pump.

When I kick it over prior to start oil coughs out the breather tube. If I have to kick my bike more than three times a signifigant puddle will form. When running I have little to no oil pressure, and slight dripping out of the breather tube. I know oil is being pumped around the system as i have an oil filter located at the back of my bike via remote car style oil filter and have checked to see that oil circulates. I was thinking, check hard parts in pump/replace as needed, replace check valve ball and springs, and prime as stated in the above postings. Should I do anything else while I am in there?
Tshiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 05:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Bonny Doon Jim wants to know Dino or Syn?
OK here's one for ya...I have a 94 FXLR that has developed quite a lot of valve train noise coming from the cam gear cover...I have everything apart and was wondering how much end play the Oil pump drive gear should have or should it be snug..The key is in and snap ring is in the grove..However it seems like a lot of end play..Also not sure but the throughout washer on the cam looks a little rough on the inside diameter...Lifters appear to be OK..Cam looks good 141 Sifton warrior..Developed major vibration and rattle when letting off the throttle...One more thing..The spacer on the cam looked kind of grooved..I don't race or ride in the rain anymore so I think I'll go to a Crane 316 2B..My heads have been ported and milled..Have black diamond valves and performance springs..So how abouth that end play on the Oil pump drive gear..should it be a little loose?
Bonny Doon Jim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

Bonny Doon Jim wants to know Dino or Syn?
OKJ I found the problem...The cam I had was a 141 Sifton warrior..That cam has real fast ramps and demolished my lifters..I caught it just in time...After the bike sat for about a year I decided I need the thrill..Ripped the gearcase apart bought a Crane 316 2[B] and new S&S lifters...Did the install..Now I get a constant tick in my rocker boxes..The heads were milled and ported but not sure if he went to cam specs on the Sifton which has a 480 lift..The Crane 316 has a 490 lift...I might be hittin the pistions just ever so slightly..Runs great has lots of pull and runs cooler than with the Sifton..Gonna talk to the head guy and find out if that's my problem..could just be the new lifters..or maybe it just ticks!!!..Anyone else have ticks after the Crane 316 install?

I'm still usin 20 50 oil...some said to go with heavier cause of the heads...any comments on that..
Bonny Doon Jim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.