The Cure Vent / The Cure Vent Plus : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Evolution Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2008, 02:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

oldschool wants to know Dino or Syn?
The Cure Vent / The Cure Vent Plus

Hello,

I'm installing new rocker box gaskets in my 1996 Electra Glide Standard that I bought about a year ago. The bike is stock, except for the jetting and the modified stock mufflers. It still has the stock air cleaner assembly, including the backing plate. I've never had a problem with any oil coming through the breather and into the air cleaner assembly. It's a well maintained, low mileage bike (less than 10K miles)

However, I might like to switch to a higher flowing air cleaner assembly like and S&S, Screamin Eagle or Ness. Is such a switch likely to increase the chances of oil from the breather system escaping / discharging onto the outside of the motor. That seemed to be the case with a friend's bike.

Should I install The Cure Vent or The Cure Vent Plus while I'm in the rocker boxes in anticipation of going to a higher flow air cleaner later?

Also, would it be better to not use the Plus version, but rather add some sort of check valve to the lines after the exit the heads to make the check valve serviceable without having to go into the rocker boxes?

I'm tempted to leave well enough alone, but I don't want to have to go back into the rocker boxes if I install a high flow air cleaner assembly soon.
oldschool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2008, 03:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

4XLT wants to know Dino or Syn?
all i did with my 98 was put a K&N air filter in, , i dont knwo anything about the vent .
heads Hillside valve job port and polish.. 200 ccp
1.90 int 1.625 ex
Wood W6-H cam
DynaTech 2000 ignition
big sucker with zippers big filter
Vance & Hines Pro Pipe
4XLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2008, 05:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Tripl8 wants to know where he is and how he got here
Take those lines from the heads ....to the ground....you dont need anything on the line either...no check valves or any of that krap....the umbrella valve is already preventing any backflow of air.
Tripl8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2008, 05:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

TheNowhereman wants to know Dino or Syn?
Crank vents function like a PCV valve. (positive crankcase venting)
They generate a partial vacuum in your engines crankcase to keep any seepage in the motor.
It also allows your engine to rev nicer since it isn't fighting itself when firing it's pistons back down into the cylinders.
They work and are used by most good wrenches when they are vacuum balancing a high performance motor.
TheNowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2008, 05:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Tripl8 wants to know where he is and how he got here
No..they dont work...not unless the oem umbrella valves are removed..crankvents are a scam ...and most engine builders know it...
Tripl8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2008, 07:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

cubicinches wants to know Dino or Syn?
Tripl8 Knows What He's Talking About

The stock air cleaner doesn't flow much air at all. Upgrading you air cleaner will not have any effect on crankcase pressure.Upgrading your air cleaner with a zippers kit and dyna ignition will help a lot.Run the oil lines from the breather head ports right to the ground or to a catch can. DON"T USE CRANK VENTS!!!
Old 12-03-2008, 09:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

TheNowhereman wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripl8 View Post
No..they dont work...not unless the oem umbrella valves are removed..crankvents are a scam ...and most engine builders know it...
They work you just don't know it. You shouldn't be feeding these people with false statements.
Anyone who knows how engines are built and run know that a partial vacuum is preferred in a 4 stroke engine. Case in point:
Any formula 1, Indy / champ car engine, Pro class hydros, etc.
always use a dry sump oiling system.
Whats a dry sump you ask?
That's a system where the pump design generates a vacuum in the crankcase to scavenge more effectively.
If you want a 4 stroke engine to run it's best and give major life to it's seals, generate a vacuum in the crankcase.
Go back to school and study a little more..
"Umbrella valves", sheech!
TheNowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2008, 12:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

cubicinches wants to know Dino or Syn?
The man has a stock motor not a hot rod. I make 100 hp with my 85" motor which is far from stock. Yep my heads are ported and massaged but still use umbrella valves. No hot rod Harley guy I know uses crank vents period. So if you want to waste money go ahead ain't my dough.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Buddy Seat wants to know Dino or Syn?
I been routing the head breathers (using 3/8" ID hose) down & under carb I add a brass "T" fitting, that ties the 2 head hoses into one.
then route that behind the front pushrod tubes to underneath.

I route behind the front pushrod tubes because they are farthest away from cylinder...(so theres room)..
And if you locate the "T" in the right spot (behind the air cleaner), you never really notice the set-up & barely see the hose routing......

my .02

Last edited by Buddy Seat; 12-04-2008 at 01:59 AM.
Buddy Seat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2008, 08:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Dr.Hess wants to know Dino or Syn?
Not to jump into a pissing contest, but race motors use dry sump systems to prevent oil starvation during extreme G manuvers, like cornering and accelerating. All your oil can slosh away from the pickup and your bearings go poof otherwise. A secondary advantage is a shallower oil pan, allowing you to lower the engine more.

I don't know what these crank vent systems are, but changing the air filter shouldn't have any effect on the engine venting, assuming you hook the hoses up like they were before. I don't have umbrella valves in my bikes, so I don't worry about that, but if I did, I'd do like Buddy Seat suggests. I have my vents running down to the ground.
"71"

Dr.Hess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2008, 08:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
In disguise

FXR2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Obviously there are opinions on both sides but I have to say that the Cure Vent Plus kit works. I put these into the rocker boxes of my then-stock Evo about three years ago. I had experienced some oil out of the air cleaner after any appreciable time spent at freeway speeds. I have not had one drop in there since the Cure Vent Plus kit was installed. Since then I have installed SE heads, Andrews EV27 cam, and Arlen Ness Big Sucker backing plate and still no oil out the air cleaner.

I was told many times that Evo owners had long since enlarged the oil return hole in the middle rocker plate to help with oil out the air cleaner. After seeing how tiny that hole is, I can easily see how it could not possible allow enough oil to drain back out of the rocker boxes to keep from overflowing out into the air cleaner. The Cure kit provides a drill bit to enlarge the return hole. The ball check valve, the other part of the Cure Vent Plus kit, allows air to enter the rocker boxes through the breather tubes to allow the rocker boxes to drain (no vacuum) but doesn't allow oil out. True, you can instead, run a hose from the breather to the ground, but that just allows your pushed-out oil to escape the motor in a cleaner fashion and drip on the road--it doesn't prevent oil from escaping.

Anyway, all I know is that installing that kit stopped any oil from my air cleaner and I'm satisfied.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Buddy Seat wants to know Dino or Syn?
Can't argue with success..Good for you.

I drill the return holes too..
But have to be careful on chromed ones, cause last thing anyone needs is chrome plating flaking off up in the
R boxes & possibly clogging up stuff..

Once ya drill you have opened the chrome, & it can flake off in time.. I seal it..& worries are over..

Friend has a S-glide evo that had a Hd chrome tranny cap added by Hd, but it leaked..

When I pulled the cap the underside was a nightmare, chrome peeling like the side of an old barn..

Last edited by Buddy Seat; 12-06-2008 at 12:10 AM.
Buddy Seat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
FNG :)

s2teve wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thumbs up

The "Cure Plus" is available from Johns Cycle Parts for about $30 with shipping, I'm installing it in my 98 FLHTCUI.

johnsmotorcycleparts.com
s2teve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.