EVO Sportster engine rebuild : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Evolution Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2008, 04:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Kernow Bobber wants to know Dino or Syn?
Question EVO Sportster engine rebuild

I am just about to start building my own sportster bobber and was wandering if anyone could tell what manuals I could get to help me with stripping down the engine and rebuild.
Someone has suggested that I get someone else to do it but 1)It costs a lot. 2)I'd like to try and build this bike myself so that I may get a fuller understanding of the engine.

Any tips, links or advise welcome and appreciated.

Cheers,
Kernow.
Kernow Bobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2008, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

bigbadal wants to know Dino or Syn?
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernow Bobber View Post
I am just about to start building my own sportster bobber and was wandering if anyone could tell what manuals I could get to help me with stripping down the engine and rebuild.
Someone has suggested that I get someone else to do it but 1)It costs a lot. 2)I'd like to try and build this bike myself so that I may get a fuller understanding of the engine.

Any tips, links or advise welcome and appreciated.

Cheers,
Kernow.
In my opinion, whatever bike I have, I always get the Harley Davidson service manual specific to the model/engine I have. If you like the aftermarket manuals, then get one of them also. But, definately get the proper HD manual. And if you are going to be ordering lots of parts, I would advise getting the parts catalog for said application too. That is the best place to start tearing something apart. $.02 worth. Alan
bigbadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

bigbadal thats great thanks.
Where would be the best place to get the said manuals mainly the official harley manual and a aftermarket one?
Thanks in advance.
Kernow.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

sloxl wants to know Dino or Syn?
Don't know about aftermarket manuals, I've had the HD manuals and liked them.
I've had good luck with these folks especially if you buy more than several items at a time. Save on shipping that way.

http://www.zanottimotor.com/

You will either need the part number or call them for it if you can't find it on the Harley website.

Good luck, sounds like a good project. If you need specific advice there are only about 252,678 posts regarding Sportster mods here.

John

sloxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
bigbadal thats great thanks.
Where would be the best place to get the said manuals mainly the official harley manual and a aftermarket one?
Thanks in advance.
Kernow.
The HD manuals are available from your local harley shop. I would try to wait till they have some sort of sale that usually happens at this time of year. They try to improve customer relations with sale merchandise. It sometimes works. If not there, ebay is good for the manuals and aftermarket manuals. Alan
Old 11-21-2008, 07:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

cat5752 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ebay store that will treat you well and is licensed to reproduce HD manuals is Buffalo Motorcycle Works (pretty sure that's the name).
After market manuals you are looking at either Clymer or Haynes. The only thing I have ever had any luck with in a Haynes manual was their wiring diagrams are in color. Clymer is not too bad and I think they sometimes do a better job at explaining things. Hope this helps.
cat5752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you very much to everybody that has replied. Some great help here.
I have found the '92 Sportster Clymer manual that I will get but have been unable to find the official manual. It is very difficult to find it on the web.

cat5752:
I checked for the Buffalo Motorcycle Works and it doesn't seem to exist.
I'll keep looking.
Thanks again.
Cheers,
Kernow.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Thank you very much to everybody that has replied. Some great help here.
I have found the '92 Sportster Clymer manual that I will get but have been unable to find the official manual. It is very difficult to find it on the web.

cat5752:
I checked for the Buffalo Motorcycle Works and it doesn't seem to exist.
I'll keep looking.
Thanks again.
Cheers,
Kernow.
Here is a site that says it has the official HD manuals. It lists 91-92 sportsters.

www.cyclemanuals.com

Last edited by bigbadal; 11-22-2008 at 04:15 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks to all you guys for the help.
I think I will get the official manual from the site mentioned by bigbadal and will probably get the Clymer one also.

I will try and keep you updated on the progress of the project in the Sportster or Chopper forum.

Thanks again.
Cheers,
Kernow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement