113 S&s : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Evolution Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2008, 02:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

kromepony wants to know Dino or Syn?
113 S&s

I have a '91 Custom Softail.
It had 94,700 on th odometer when the crank bearing on the cam side decided to walk away from it's assigned position
When I took it apart, it looked as if a grenade had gone off in the gearcase.
Oil pump drive gear, cam gear and crank bearing were all just pieces of scrap.
The crank kept going around while the cam stayed in one place.
Surprise, surprise! The intake valves were bent and the pistons have a VERY big dent in them. Besides the the ones that are supposed to be there.
After a lot of pissing and moaning, I got prices for a replacement motor.
Common sense told me to get the HD factory rebuild. It is only $2800.00.
Never having been blessed with a lot of common sense ( I do own 4 Harleys), I decided to go the max.
The max being a 113ci black & chrome S&S with the IST ignition.
I am now in the process of getting it to fit in the bike.
So far it has been great! S&S has done a great job of getting everything right the first time.
The new motor fell right into place and matching it to the inner primary and trans seems to be going smoothly.
I've done quite a number of engine changes, but none of this magnitude. Going from a 80ci to 113ci has got to be a life altering experience.
I'm confident that I can do it, but would like to have input from others that have done the same.
Any comments or advice would be appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2008, 04:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

pajoe wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am in the process of fitting an Ultima 113 in our '90 Ultra, it is a first time experience for me (and my wife) and seems like I had to take off a lot more than I originally imagined.

It is taking me a long time ( two weeks and counting) because I need to do most things more than once to get it right, or at least to where I think it is right. I hope to be ready to try starting it on next Tuesday.

There is a thread on HD Forums where they share experiences, mostly with the Ultima motors but a few S&S owners posted as well, it has been my main help and inspiration.

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146296
pajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Don Camillo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kromepony View Post
It had 94,700 on th odometer ...

Do you think S&S will last that long?
Don Camillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Moneygreen

arealinvestor wants to know where he is and how he got here
Quote:
It had 94,700 on th odometer when the crank bearing on the cam side decided to walk away from it's assigned position
Surprise, surprise! The intake valves were bent and the pistons have a VERY big dent in them. Besides the the ones that are supposed to be there.
Never having been blessed with a lot of common sense ( I do own 4 Harleys), I decided to go the max.
So far it has been great! S&S has done a great job of getting everything right the first time.
The new motor fell right into place and matching it to the inner primary and trans seems to be going smoothly.
I've done quite a number of engine changes, but none of this magnitude. Going from a 80ci to 113ci has got to be a life altering experience.
I'm confident that I can do it, but would like to have input from others that have done the same.
If the cases were ok why not rebuild with bigger motor(cylinders,crank,pistons & rods) using the cases you had???? Why bother buying a S&S 113ci???? When you could have done a 124ci!!!!

2010 Ultra Classic Hot Rod Built & Tuned by JD's
BB & Baisley Hybrid Heads with man/Comp releases
Axtell Pistons & Cylinders set with high comp,Big CCP
Darkhorse Stroker Crank,balanced,plugged & welded
Woods A/C kit & Lifters
T-Man gear crank set
High Flow HPI Inj & BB TBW Throttle body
D&D Boarzilla (perforated baffle)
Lenale cooling fan
Jagg 10 row oil cooler
K&P engineering oil filter
To much more to list!!!!!!
arealinvestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

1997bagger wants to know Dino or Syn?
I thought it was pretty much in stone that stock evo cases couldn't take that much cubes due to it's weak structure,
cracks between the spigot and lifter holes when pounded and then worth 42 cents a pound.

If all the info is wrong then I'm in for the yee-haw effect of a stock looking evo.

Be prepared to purchase a stronger clutch and bigger starter if they are still stock.

Going from a 80 evo to 113 has medical side effects:
During heavy throttling, if you have an erection for over 4 hours, You need to off the bike because all of your blood is leaving your brain.
1997bagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Bullwinkle wants to know Dino or Syn?
>> I have a '91 Custom Softail. It had 94,700 on th odometer ...

Do you think S&S will last that long? <<

I don't see why not. I put an S&S 111 in my 1993 FXR several years ago and as far as I can figure I have about 33K to 35K miles on it. I bought a Vision Optics Borescope (very clear picture) a while back for another project and the crosshatch looked clean in the cylinders. S&S seems to do a pretty good job putting the crank together, their rods are strong, and they use a good oil pump.

If he was a hard rider his Evo wouldn't have lasted 94K miles, although that big motor torque might easily change his driving habits. <grin>

Bullwinkle
Bullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

lionsm13 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by arealinvestor View Post
If the cases were ok why not rebuild with bigger motor(cylinders,crank,pistons & rods) using the cases you had???? Why bother buying a S&S 113ci???? When you could have done a 124ci!!!!
You have to drill out the cases to except the bigger bore stuff, and by the time that you do all that work, and spend all that $ on the bigger heads, cylinders, pistons, oil pump, bigger starter, etc. and drill out your cases, you're better off just buyin' a new motor, period. 1997 did the right thing.
You could always tell us how you think it could be done though....
Old 11-22-2008, 01:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Hillside wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Those powerplants were built to replace OEM engines.
No fitment issues we've seen.
Going from an 80"to a 113" will get your attention.
Hillside is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement