Cam Position Sensor - 98 Fatboy : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Evolution Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2008, 04:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

rprider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Cam Position Sensor - 98 Fatboy

I have a 98 Fatboy and recently the Cam Position Sensor went bad. The replacement part number for this bike is 32448-95A... but I can't get one b'cuz I live in the Philippines (long story) and unfortunately we don't have any Harley dealers here. Fortunately one of my buddies did have one but the part number was different, 32400-80A (JPcycles says this part number is for a 1980-93 Big Twin). Upon visual inspection the only difference I could find is the terminals at the end are different. I went ahead and modified the wiring on this Cam Position Sensor and installed it. I been riding it without a problem for about a week now. My question is does anyone know if running this older model Cam Position Sensor is ok or not? ...could there be any damage that can come from using it? ...example is the voltage/resistance/amperage any different between these two Cam Position Sensors (32448-95A and the 32400-80A)? I'm thinking not b'cuz many after-market single fire ignitions systems say they are for Big Twins 1970 thru 1999... so my theory of thinking is the only difference between the two is that Harley changed the wiring terminals...(?)

smitty
rprider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2008, 12:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Buddy Seat wants to know Dino or Syn?
I think ur safe.. & I agree many aftermarket systems fit many years. Enjoy the ride..

I'm running a Dyna-S (mechanical advance) on my 94 Fatty...
Old 07-03-2008, 05:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
ASA Lives

Ultra89Rider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Older Sensor will work.

The older one will work. The difference is the newer model sensor has a angle position switch built into the body. This would shut the motor off if the bike tipped over. That will mean that if you drop the bike and it rolls over, the motor will not shut off, but keep running and maybe cause damage to the motor.
"lIgh tlhab"
(Ride Free)
. . . .
Ultra89Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
FNG :)

rprider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra89Rider View Post
The older one will work. The difference is the newer model sensor has a angle position switch built into the body. This would shut the motor off if the bike tipped over. That will mean that if you drop the bike and it rolls over, the motor will not shut off, but keep running and maybe cause damage to the motor.
Just wanted to follow-up on the fix i made for my 98 Fatboy. I've been running the much older Cam Position Sensor (32400-80A) for over 5-months w/o any problems. The older Cam Position Sensor had different style connectors then the newer Cam Position Sensor that came stock on my bike in 1998 (32448-95A). To make this modification work i just clipped & spliced into the wires of the burned-out Cam Position Sensor w/o disturbing the original housing & connectors (just in-case i want to go back to the Cam Position Sensor for that particular year). Harley wanted a sack load of money for the 32448-95A, but with a little bit of extra work one can run the 32400-80A for 1/3rd of the price.

Smitty
rprider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement