Starter relay clicks and sometimes starter engages, sometimes nothing : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Evolution Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 08:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
" WFFW "

zukeeper wants to know Dino or Syn?
Starter relay clicks and sometimes starter engages, sometimes nothing

98 evo wide glide,
The starter will engage , and sometimes it won't . If I keep hitting the button 6 to 10 times , the starter will usually engage. I haven't started to really run things down yet but thought I would ask a couple questions.

1 , if the relay clicks , chances are its doing its job right ?? Of course now that I'm home , so far the bike is starting fine so I haven't had a chance to put the meter to it yet to see if its sending juice to the solenoid.

2. if its the solenoid , can I just take the cap of the end and replace the plunger and stuff without removing the starter from the bike ?

I'm glad it worked good enough to get home , but the sometimes working and sometimes not makes it a bit of a pain to trouble shoot.

thanks for any help and advise ya'll can give !!
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2008, 08:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
FNG :)

tsmero wants to know Dino or Syn?
starter relay

i have found out that majority of time it is a loose connection behind the rubber cover. relay is energizing, but not transferring voltage/current to starter. if you have a meter, is easy to check, look for 12vdc between both terminals to ground, one should be hot all the time, and other should be hot when you press the button, if no juice, then internal contacts are bad..

simple enough job to change assembly, might have to remove rear exhaust pipe.. make sure you unhook battery first. hat to see a wrench arc to frame or engine case, could blow regulator
tsmero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

ROY YOUNG wants to know Dino or Syn?
Your probably right, chances are the relay is doing its job. Pull the wire off of the starter solenoid. Take a jumper wire, and touch it between the positive post on the battery, and the starter solenoid post where you pulled the wire off coming from the relay. This is a good check to eliminate any starter issues. If it spins good everytime you do this check, then it's either the relay, or in most cases, the terminal on the end of the wire coming from the relay that slides on the starter solenoid. This is a very common problem on an HD. The wire guage is just big enough to carry enough amperage when new and everything is clean with no corrosion. If it were mine, and the starter checks out fine, I would cut the old terminal end off, and solder a new one on. The old wire and terminal may look fine, but it corrodes inside where you can't see it alot of times. If you check it with a voltmeter, it may show 12 volts, but the corrosion does not provide enough amperage to get through.
ROY YOUNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

kromepony wants to know Dino or Syn?
Rebuild the solenoid.

Do not buy a new starter.

Once you have the starter off and the solenoid apart, you will see a copper washer and the contact from the + wire. There will be a lot of burn marks on both. You can either sand the marks off the washer or flip it over.

On some bikes you can dis assemble the solenoid without removing the starter, which is a pain in the butt most times.

I've been doing this since there were 6volt systems and have to replace very few solenoids.

Good luck.

P.S. Did I mention that you should not buy a new starter?
Old 06-12-2008, 06:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
" WFFW "

zukeeper wants to know Dino or Syn?
well, the freaken thing finally decided to act up at work today , must have pushed that button a hundred times LOL. I ran a wire from my battery charger plug in ,unplugged the relay , touched my hot wire to the green wire that runs to the starter and she spun instantly . put everything back together and just jumped a wire from the charger socket to the starter solenoid to fire her up and come home.
Suppose I have to go to a dealer ( hour away ) to get one of these things ? or do ya thnk NAPA may carry them for some crazy reason ??
Old 08-12-2011, 05:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

kenlani wants to know Dino or Syn?
Cool backup for relay

My dynas starter relay has been acting up too- sometimes I push the start button and get nothin, later it will work
So I did some forum surfing and found this thread and thought I'd throw in 2cents
I replaced the relay and also cleaned the solenoid washer connection but still feel paranoid about the bike stranding me somewhere, so I bought one of those push-button solenoid covers on ebay ($13) as a backup-if handlebar button no-workee,, I just reach under and push the solenoid button
kenlani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Sua Sponte

RANGER73 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlani View Post
My dynas starter relay has been acting up too- sometimes I push the start button and get nothin, later it will work
So I did some forum surfing and found this thread and thought I'd throw in 2cents
I replaced the relay and also cleaned the solenoid washer connection but still feel paranoid about the bike stranding me somewhere, so I bought one of those push-button solenoid covers on ebay ($13) as a backup-if handlebar button no-workee,, I just reach under and push the solenoid button
+1, I did the same thing. I changed the relay and put in a push button, just in case. Surer than **** She's acting up again. But I've got that button. Button works every time.
RANGER73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Dan89FLSTC wants to know Dino or Syn?
Deleted post

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 08-14-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Dan89FLSTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Sua Sponte

Took the small start relay apart, cleaned the contacts (had some burn marks on the contacts), bent the contacts alittle closer. Perfect. No more intermittent starter. Until the next time it fails. What a hassle for a $4. part.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

hoglar wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had similar problem. Replaced relay and no problems since (three years ago). The older relays were not water proof. Newer are.
hoglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Sua Sponte

Not a water issue here. Just bad quality relay. If it happens again I'll try the Bosh relay. I've heard good things here about Bosh and and they've got a good rep. for quality. The first one was OEM the second was an Accell. The third will be a Bosh.
But she's working now. I also have a starter button for the unexpected. The only thing about the button is it's not a quick easy access.
Cager wasn't looking in a parking lot the other day,
I had to stop, stalled the bike, and start button didn't work. So I had to reach under and press the starter solenoid button. She started just fine, BUT the time loss was un-nerving. If it was a real emergency, It left me to vulnerable. IMO

Last edited by RANGER73; 08-14-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

brscott73 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Starter Relay Harness?

I've had similar issues as discussed in this post. I've also posted about it previously. Is it possible that the ignition relay harness has corrosion that would cause an issue? Is it worth replacing the harness or at lease replacing all the wires?

Someone mentioned NOT to replace the starter. Why not? I replaced the starter with a 1.4Kw and when it engages, it is very solid. The old starter had issues of of slipping off the starter gear. It also would have issues pushing through the 10:1 compression. I know the old starter can be rebuilt, which I may do at some point. But the 1.4Kw has had NO issues pushing through the compression, if it kicks in.

As stated by others, the fail-safe push-button on the end of the solenoid works EVERY time.

-Br-
brscott73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

93Horse wants to know Dino or Syn?
A good practice is to also check for voltage drops in the starting circuit.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

DrewCfromSC wants to know Dino or Syn?
I too had simular problems. Bouth the pushbutton for my solonoid and its a great feeling to have a backup plan aka starter button!
Old 12-26-2011, 11:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

iAmRockinRich wants to know Dino or Syn?
+1 on the push button. I use mine all the time!

Proud member of the Patriot Guard Riders
My Photos
iAmRockinRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement