Oil Line Routing? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Evolution Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2008, 03:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

alex_bwls wants to know Dino or Syn?
Oil Line Routing?

on a 1990 evo motor with a horseshoe style tank ( main feed in back[?] and two fittings up towards the front) and a factory oil pump (two fittings side by side and a oil vent up above); what is the correct way to route the oil lines between the tank, filter, and pump.

thanks
alex_bwls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2008, 11:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Buddy Seat wants to know Dino or Syn?
No Service manual ?
Buddy Seat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

oowf wants to know where he is and how he got here
Oil Line Routing

I'm sure the "No Manual" comment made you feel good...

Listen, I have three manuals and not one of them show the routing. I need to remove an oil cooler and I too needed to see the proper routing since I can't just do the "one hose at a time" since there are extra hoses involved with the cooler.

Anyway, I found a really neat photo on the web where someone had taken a close up of the proper routing for oil lines and had numbered them 1, 2 and 3 at both ends... so simple to follow.

I'll try to find the URL again and send it to you... otherwise I can emal you the pics... if you still need them since I see your post was back in May

Cheers

P.S. The URL is http://www.bikernet.com/garage/PageV...asp?PageID=384

1998 FXSTS Springer Softail
17,950 Kilometer - 11,153 Miles
I think everything is stock.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass....
It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Last edited by oowf; 07-19-2008 at 01:36 AM. Reason: To add URL
oowf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by oowf View Post
I'm sure the "No Manual" comment made you feel good...
You would be in-correct, my comment was inappropriate..
I knew that when I posted it.. Bad day.. But no excuses..
I own my screw ups... I should have just not posted at all..

alex_bwls- To you Sir I say, sorry dude...

oowf-
But I'm not sure what manuals Ur looking in, cause I checked a random evo softail manual & it showed the routing...........

Last edited by Buddy Seat; 07-19-2008 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Now Buddy Seat.... That takes a "real" man! Been on this tera ferma a long, long time and it takes a real man to own up even to the small things... I admire you emensly... I figured when I wrote my little comment about the "No Manual" comment I would get some really nasty reply... you are a great dude!

Actually, I sort of felt sorry for alex_bwls.... when one delves into a manual for hours to find one small thing and can't... when there ain't much hair left on the head from pulling and jerking on it... then... at least for me.... I give up the search and go for the best forum I can think of to get a little help...

Actually, I did give him a URL that has some pictures... (I still can't find any in my own manuals... there are written instructions and finding the three ports on the engine/filter side is easy... but the tank... seems they are all different) but in fact, none of the pictures in that URL have what my set up (horse shoe tank) is like...

I guess the key is... to take a look inside the tank once the engine warms up and if there is oil flowing back to the tank one must be ok.

Anyway... enough yakking... just wanted to say I appreciate a person like you... I really didn't say that to make you feel bad as much as I wanted alex_bwls not go get discouraged...

Have a great day!

Cheers

Old 07-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

hardluk1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ofcoarse the old dumd a** way is to draw a picture and make notes( thats what i did) and the hd manual does do a good job of telling you where a line starts and stops where so you don't hook something up backwards. Pictures and notes work . Digital cameras just make it easy. Take some pictures of others if needed.
hardluk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

oowf-

I'm glad you 'let me have it'.. I needed it...

Today I did pull out my 84-90 FX/Softail HD Service Manual & the only oil line diagram is for the FX style oil tanks...(not much help)..

But I did also look in my 93-94 FX/Softail HD Service Manual & that is the one I used to originally find the hose routing to the horseshoe oil tank to motor..(slight diff at the oil pump) but still very helpful illustration....(actually 2 of them)..........

I'm currently unable to scan anything or I'd post the routing..

Anyway, for the oil tank, when in doubt, only one outlet will pour out oil, that would be the gravity feed. The Other 2 are Vent & Return. Which both have to be well above the oil level or sumping will occur..

And the Vent line always goes straight to the motor case. Above the pump on evos..

Last edited by Buddy Seat; 07-21-2008 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Oil Line Routing - Still baffled

Like I said when I first made input to this thread, I removed an oil cooler that was on the bike when I bought it. This means I could not actually just do the "one line at a time" trick... besides, I have no confidence that whoever routed this last time did it correctly... this is China where many have no personal pride in proper accomplishment and the favorite and most often used phrase is "No Problem"... even when there is one most obvious!

So.. I am attaching some pics of my current set up...

Red Arrows indicating what I believe to be the supply line... sending the oil to the pump.

Yellow Arrows indicating what I believe to be the return line to the tank and....

The Green Arrows indicating what I believe to be the breather...

I do believe I am correct on the pump side of things but now and contrary to what I wrote yesterday I am not so sure of the tank since I have looked at a lot of tanks on the Internet the last couple of day... horse shoe tanks and many are not the same... so tomorrow, even though I have a fresh tank of 'just changed' oil, I am going to drain the tank and see what is what by taking a look inside...

One thing that bothers me is in everything I have read about the return line and breather line... they have to be above the full mark of the oil reservoir... I can't see mine... so I hope I don't have a natural sumping problem with this particular oil tank.

I wrote all of this to say if anyone sees these pictures and they match your set up or if you see something blatantly wrong with things... could you try to confirm what I think is what I have or let me know what appears to be wrong before I blow this thing up <grin>?

Thanks so much... Have a great day!

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OilLineRouting_1.JPG
Views:	4100
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	47345   Click image for larger version

Name:	OilLineRouting_2.JPG
Views:	2855
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	47346   Click image for larger version

Name:	OilLineRouting_3.JPG
Views:	4262
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	47347  

Last edited by oowf; 07-21-2008 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Correct Spelling and add a sentence
Old 07-21-2008, 11:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

oowf-

I tried to open yer links but since I am a non dues paying member I can NOT.. All I got was the following message

V-TwinFORUM.com Message:
You do not have permission to this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Some functions, such as attachment downloading and picture viewing, have been recently disabled and are available only to Premium Members. Or, have you recently changed your email address? If so, our system sent an email to the new address that must be clicked to confirmed your new email account.
You may also be trying to edit someone elses post, or access an area that you do not have authorization for.
Log Out Click to join: $15 Per Year
Old 09-03-2008, 08:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
FNG :)

fritzl65 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yeah, I got suckered into registereing looking for information too... F! THIS What good is a forum if you need to pay for info...

Got enough ads on here to choke a horse at it is...
Greed
fritzl65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:10 AM   #11 (permalink)

bigboar wants to know Dino or Syn?
Could anyone send me those pics to jonnypalmeruk@yahoo.co.uk as I can't seem to see them. Yours hopefrully, Jon
bigboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

doctorfeelgood wants to know Dino or Syn?
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_bwls View Post
on a 1990 evo motor with a horseshoe style tank ( main feed in back[?] and two fittings up towards the front) and a factory oil pump (two fittings side by side and a oil vent up above); what is the correct way to route the oil lines between the tank, filter, and pump.

thanks
doctorfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Dan89FLSTC wants to know Dino or Syn?
`89 Evo Softail with horseshoe type tank:

Oil supply hose goes from the fitting on the rear of the tank to the outboard fitting on the pump.

Scavenged oil-hose between the inboard fitting on the oil pump and the inlet fitting on the oil filter.

Return oil-hose between the outlet fitting on the oil filter and the outboard fitting on the front of the tank.

Vent- Hose between inboard fitting on front of oil tank and fitting on crankcase above oil pump.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 10-03-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Dan89FLSTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Premium Member

rcsoftail wants to know Dino or Syn?
I was going to scan the oil line routing from my 1995 softail manual, but the pictures and instruction were so pathetic, so I didn't even bother to waste my time. Their picture shows the oil pump feeding the center hole on the filter mount, which is backwards. The oil pump should be feeding the filter mount through the side hole and returning from the center hole to the oil tank. No wonder why people get so confused....
rcsoftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

bartos wants to know Dino or Syn?
Finding good drawings and info for the routing can be a pain...I found an article on hotbike that showed the drawing that I used, it's crude but it made sense to me.

http://www.hotbikeweb.com/tech/0305h.../photo_03.html

Actually this is from a pretty cool article where they go through the process of making stainless steel lines for a project bike.

Hope that helps, it helped me get mine all done and I just fired my motor up last weekend for the first time and it's running great.
bartos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement