oil cap blowing off ,Pressure building in crankcase ? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Evolution Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2007, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

INEEDABIN wants to know Dino or Syn?
Post oil cap blowing off ,Pressure building in crankcase ?

my oil fill cap , dipstick for my 2003 flht blew off ,the first time I did not know what it was , I thought maybe someone took it or something so I bought a new one from the dealer , $31. I put it on at the dealer drove out of there got the light took off went about 100 yards and I see something fly off of my bike sure enough it was my filler cap , what can cause this and how do I fix it , is something clogged to let the pressure out ?. Maybe a Hose or something .I do not have a book to look and see where it may be ,any help on this forum would be great . thanks
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2007, 11:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Make it Run, Then Ride !!

DeathTrap124 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Something I did...

INEEDABIN,

When I first bought my 1988 Softail I changed the oil lines to braided lines. When I put the new hoses on I accidently reattached the hose improperly causing the same effect you've experienced. Have you or anyone else disconnected and reconnected the oil lines? Just a question to rule out the "dumb is me" stuff before you start looking deeper...
Old 09-07-2007, 11:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premium octane member

TXCHOP wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yup, also is the oil bag overfilled? I had the same problem on my bike when i put the 4 full quarts in. That in combination with the less venting HD chrome vent line din't mix well...I run 1/2 quart low now without any problems at all
Old 09-07-2007, 04:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

oil cap blowing off

neither .I did not change the oil or add, it is not overfilled nor did I change any lines , what I did do though is my air breather was real loose and 2 of the bolts took off into the wind . could not go beyond the filter so the just went bye i took it apart and put new bolts back on and tightened the bolts back up and that is It and used loc tite , could have I done something there ?. thanks for the replys guys ,
Old 09-07-2007, 07:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premium octane member

TXCHOP wants to know Dino or Syn?
Are you talking about the breather bolts the mount the air cleaner asembly to the head????If so did you replace the with another set of hallow breather bolts????? If you did than thats fine, if you put in solid bolts then that is your problem. Those 2 bolts vent the internal pressure...If you have solid bolts, take the out right away!!!
Old 09-07-2007, 08:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

That is exactly what I did

Those bolts backed out and got lost somewhere ,so I was over a buddys house and the whole thing was loose air cleaner assembly intake and all it was any wonder i was even moving ,only because of the fuel injection anyhow I did put the solid bolts on and did not even think of that at the time, it has been a year since I changed to the stage one and I forgot about them being hollow , I did know it but just plain forgot , anyhow , I will getthe right bolts tormorrrow at mikes HD if they have them and change them , thanks for solving my problem ,I should have known this , I would have figured it out after thinking about it after awhile, this just happened last sat and I only drove home snd down and back form the dealer which is not that far, you guys are the best on this site and thanks for the quick answer to my problem this site rocks .
Old 09-10-2007, 07:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Buelligan wants to know Dino or Syn?
Your lucky you didn't blow any of your gaskets!!!
Buelligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2008, 03:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
FNG :)

yeehaw wants to know Dino or Syn?
no kidding
yeehaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2009, 06:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

Arizona Fat wants to know Dino or Syn?
I did the same thing on my 08....changed air cleaners, and while I was waiting for my new mounting plate (with internal breathers) to arrive via Ebay, I connected a rubber hose between the 2 breather bolts. Bad idea. I lost 2 temp. dipsticks before I realized what the problem was. Sure makes a mess all the oil.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.