evo motor-oil filter : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Evolution Engine Technical Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2007, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

roadchaser wants to know Dino or Syn?
evo motor-oil filter

Does an Evo motor take the same oil filter as a v-twin motor and also how many quarts of oil? It is an 80 cu.in. motor. I am new to the evo motor.Are they a good dependable motor?Also do they sell high performance kits for them? Heads,cam,pistons etc. Thank you much
roadchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2007, 04:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Phemus

steveusmc wants to know Dino or Syn?
EVO is a V-Twin but not a Twin Cam.
3 quarts in the engine.
20-24 oz in the tranny
32-34 oz in the primary (be careful and don't over-tighten the tapered plug)

Same kind of filter...just order by year and model. ie; My 1995 Wideglide uses the long one.
steveusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 04:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

93FLHS wants to know Dino or Syn?
Red face Read carefully

When selecting your filter. DO NOT use a TC filter. It will cause the sump to hold more oil than the pump can scavenge. Don`t ask how I learned.
93FLHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

NCC1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Performance Parts

I like the S&S kits for engineered hop up performance with good reliability.

There new bolt in cam works good too.

An easy up grade is an ignition module, some just plug right in and fit where the old one was. You don't even have to mess with your timing!
They use a LED for a timing aid so you can use it when you change your cam.

Best advice for you would be to order the Harley service manual and parts book. The parts book is great for exploded views. There worth the dough.
NCC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Teflon Tom wants to know Dino or Syn?
EVO's in my opinion

Roadchaser, I been around HD since I was knee high to a grasshopper, still now at 55 yrs old I have a love/hate thing going on.
The EVO has followed the pattern of all HD since 1903.
They put out a product it has problems they iron out the problems then move on to another engine design.
The EVO came out and for the most part was trouble free other than the sealing system between the case and the barrels... ie leaks.
HD engine cases from 86 thru to 93 suffered from bad castings and poor, pourous cases in fact they were down right crap. after 93 -94 they resolved their case problems. I am sure they had to because they were working on the twinkie engine. Any EVO manufactured between 93 and 99 should be free of casting problems. Enjoy the engine it is a great engine and the aftermarket will be build parts for years to come.
Teflon Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Red02FXST wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon Tom
Roadchaser, I been around HD since I was knee high to a grasshopper, still now at 55 yrs old I have a love/hate thing going on.
The EVO has followed the pattern of all HD since 1903.
They put out a product it has problems they iron out the problems then move on to another engine design.
The EVO came out and for the most part was trouble free other than the sealing system between the case and the barrels... ie leaks.
HD engine cases from 86 thru to 93 suffered from bad castings and poor, pourous cases in fact they were down right crap. after 93 -94 they resolved their case problems. I am sure they had to because they were working on the twinkie engine. Any EVO manufactured between 93 and 99 should be free of casting problems. Enjoy the engine it is a great engine and the aftermarket will be build parts for years to come.
Did not know about the casting problems???!!!! crap, I bought a 1987 FLHTC
and looks like it hasn't been rebuilt or appart yet. has 41,500 miles as of nowl and I put on 1000 miles since June this yet, no leaks..
going to rebuild the butterfly Keihin carb and use a EV23 Andrews later this winter when I take it appart. only problem so far is oil on plugs, seems to have bad valve guide seals??
Red02FXST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Buster wants to know Dino or Syn?
I thought the pourous case issue was between 89 and 90. Late 92 is when they switched to the INA inner cam bearing.
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

harley92 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Cool

i have a 92 and i was told that if there were a casting problem it would of show up by now by way of a leak .mine has 54000 on her . by the way it wasn't all the cases part of them made wear OK
Advertisement