4-valve head Evo motors - Page 18 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Evolution Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #256 (permalink)
IronButt

pattisteve1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
4valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick103 View Post
without sifting through the comprehensive comments on the beehive springs, are they a simple swap without machining the heads etc?

do you know what seat pressure you have for each spring/valve with the new springs?

and what the installed height is?

sorry for all the questions

howdy mick, i've been pretty busydoing my spring setup and piston work at my friend the machinest's and am still there but will be home tommorrow and can show you some pics of what i have been doing with the beehives. it is a wonderful setup. just what these heads need. by the way feel free to ask me anything at anytime and i will be happy to help. i'll have the pics up in a couple of days. happy trails
pattisteve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #257 (permalink)
IronButt

springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick103 View Post
without sifting through the comprehensive comments on the beehive springs, are they a simple swap without machining the heads etc?

do you know what seat pressure you have for each spring/valve with the new springs?

and what the installed height is?

sorry for all the questions

yes. and i will post them for you when i get home
Old 01-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #258 (permalink)
IronButt

springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurneyman View Post
Mick good idea but when we tried to do as you suggested they would not set flat because the bee-hive springs are designed and ground with the top and bottom coils closer together to support the spring on the pad.

While researching yesterday when the beehives first came out in 2003 the 26113 was one of the first of the beehives that I found would work with the 4-valve head, but I did not follow it through because I didn't want to machine any material from the valve guide boss to use a locator. If someone wanted to try using that spring the head would not need any machining and because of its small inside diameter it might not move if it was installed on a steel serrated shim that would be needed to pack it anyway. This is just an idea from research that has not been developed by running in a motor, so I have no proof of its stability, but it just might be worth a try.

hi guys, maybe i can add a little info for you i will go into more detail when i get home. i set mine up with the 26113 comp cam spring. installed height of 1.770. gives a seat pressure of 93#. i used a retainer but i don't have the part # in frontme of right now. i used a compcam bottom locater and it had to be trimmed doen a little. i machined the spring boss down a bit also. it was really very easy to do all the things. i have all the part #s for the cutter that is needed for the work on the bottom spring boss. it was something i am sure you can handle. be careful and work slow and you will be fine. it is a great setup. if you want to use the 26225 spring that jman suggests we have the info on that to share also. jman has been at this a good long while and he is the one that understands this the best. i took pictures as i was doing this upgrade i will post as soon as i can. later
Old 01-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #259 (permalink)
motor machinist

jurneyman wants to know Dino or Syn?
Steve good job it looks like you found what you were looking for. Just a quick question how did you figure your installed height? 93# should be around 1.570 not 1.770. The installed height is measured from the spring pad or in your case the surface of the locator to the spring flat on the upper retainer installed on a fully closed valve with the keepers in place.
jurneyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:07 AM   #260 (permalink)
IronButt

springs

Quote:
Steve good job it looks like you found what you were looking for. Just a quick question how did you figure your installed height? 93# should be around 1.570 not 1.770. The installed height is measured from the spring pad or in your case the surface of the locator to the spring flat on the upper retainer installed on a fully closed valve with the keepers in place.

thanks for catching that jman. that should have been 1.570. i actually used a 1.580 for just a little more clearance. i will explain more in the next couple days as soon as i can. i took lots of pics as i did it so i will gather and post them for everyone to see. happy trails
Old 01-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #261 (permalink)
IronButt

hey jman, i was just thinking about what mick was saying about the spring pressures and i think that there is no problem at all having a closed pressure of up to 125# but what would you consider to be excessive open pressure. for instance if you have an open pressure of say 180# [ 360# for both valves.] is that going to be excessive on the cam followers, cam bearing and bushings, etc? or is that considered okay on a 2 valve too? thanks

i am way busy but will get info and pics on the spring upgrade as soon as possible
Old 01-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #262 (permalink)
IronButt

howdy. i need to lose some weight from my pistons to get them down to my balance weight. they are a little heavy. other than taking some off of the pistons i'm wondering if there is another way. jman i remember seeing some where you saying maybe a guy can get lighter wristpins. am i remembering that right or does anyone know about that? thanks
Old 01-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #263 (permalink)
motor machinist

Steve what is the individual weight of your pistons, rings, wrist pins, and clips? What is your target weight? How much did you machine from the pistons between the valve reliefs to lower the compression which I also use in combination to lower the piston weight.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #264 (permalink)
IronButt

piston weight

Quote:
Steve what is the individual weight of your pistons, rings, wrist pins, and clips? What is your target weight? How much did you machine from the pistons between the valve reliefs to lower the compression which I also use in combination to lower the piston weight.
thanks jman, my totalweight for piston, pin, rings, and keepers is now 1164 grams. my target weight is around1100 or less. grams. i have taken all i can from the pistons so i need to get some weight off of the pins if i can.my wrist pin weighs 130 grams. so i am wondering about a lighter pin. thanks
i am still way busy but i want to post pics and info on the beehive upgrade etc as soon as i can. it might be the first of next week however as i have to leave for the weekend again
Old 01-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #265 (permalink)
motor machinist

Steve what I also need included with the wrist pin weight and type of clips is the diameter and length.

Last edited by jurneyman; 01-25-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #266 (permalink)
IronButt

jman, diameter is 0.927 length is 2.750 spiral keepers at 1 gram each. i couldn't take as much off the pistons because i had already made the firing chamber larger. what i need to do is lose some weight from the wristpin. when i get time i will call some manufacturers. in the meantime i thought youmight know about their weights from one of your projects. thanks steve
Old 01-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #267 (permalink)
IronButt

RTMike wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hey guys I ran into an old friend yesterday and he has a set of Fuelling four valve heads ,cam and pistons he has been packing around for years.He was going to use them at one time but has a different bike and wants to unload them.These parts have never been on a bike so what is this setup worth today.
RTMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #268 (permalink)
IronButt

4valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTMike View Post
Hey guys I ran into an old friend yesterday and he has a set of Fuelling four valve heads ,cam and pistons he has been packing around for years.He was going to use them at one time but has a different bike and wants to unload them.These parts have never been on a bike so what is this setup worth today.
the last set like that I saw for sale the fellow w wanted $2500 for. They will need someupgrades costing anywhere from $300 to $500 dollars depending on which way you do it to bring them up to date. Steve

T
Old 01-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #269 (permalink)
IronButt

4valve

i have some really good news for all of us. i just bought a big bunch of feuling parts from my friend. i bought him out. i will be posting a list of the [parts as i inventory it. it includes but is not limited to several complete 97" motors several sets of top end kits complete with plenums, and all the parts to make the exhausts,etc for evo sportster, evo, and twin cam. the twin cam ones are all set for the bigger bore. i will be posting pics and parts lists of what i have. the pics i am putting here today is of the first load. there is a bit more than this still left for me to pick up. yahoo!

i may have some trouble posting pics but i'll keep trying till i get it steve

Last edited by pattisteve1; 02-17-2013 at 06:02 PM. Reason: because
Old 01-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #270 (permalink)
motor machinist

Hi Steve it sure does look like you've been busy, I will check on the wrist pins now that you listed the specs. I have been in and out of the V.A. again so I will try to get the info for you when I can. The last time I ordered the lighter tool steel wrist pins it was from Ross Pistons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement