how to remove rocker cover without remove the engine from the frame : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > V-Twin Performance Forums > Evolution Engine Mods
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

evobigtwin wants to know Dino or Syn?
how to remove rocker cover without remove the engine from the frame

Hello everybody from Italy!

Service manual for my bike (1998 FXDS conv) says that i can do any work on the engine without removing it from the frame.

Manual says that i have to lower the engine but it does not say how to do it and I don't know how I do.

Kindly, can someone explain to me how do I do?

(I want to install andrews EV27 camshaft keeping stock pushrods so i have to remove rocker box.)

Thank you very much.
evobigtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
ASA Lives

Ultra89Rider wants to know Dino or Syn?
First, if you can, put the bike on a stand to level the bike (easier to work on level bike).
Next support the bottom of the motor case with a jack (now you will see why it is better on level bike).
Unbolt the front motor mount and remove the mount plate. Then unbolt the rubber motor mount and remove it.
This will allow you to lower the motor about 1.5 inches and give better access to the top cover.
To reinstall, just do in reverse order.

One additional thing. If you are careful, you can just loose the rocker box top from the head to release the pressure on the push rods. This will give you the room to remove them without taking the entire bottom of the rocker box top off the head.
But you will not be able to replace the gaskets if you do this and they may leak. Then you will need to remove them a second time to replace the gaskets. May save time, or cost you time.
"lIgh tlhab"
(Ride Free)
. . . .

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 02-17-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Ultra89Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Unca Mike wants to know Dino or Syn?
Without knowing which model bike you have I will say that you can remove both upper and lower rocker box covers on the front cylinder using a special aftermarket super thin ratchet allen head wrench. They're available from several of the aftermarket catalogs. I got mine from JP. I think it was about $35-$45 a few years ago. I think they are called "rocker box wrenchs".

The hardest part of the job is on the rear covers but depending on your bike's configuration you may be able to remove that one too without lowering the front of the engine/trans. However lowering the front of the engine/trans is easily done as UltraRider says. Doing the lowering makes work on both front and rear easier but I didn't have to do it on my FXR4. When you put everything back together do not use the Harley paper lower gasket between the lower rocker cover and the cylinder head. Use either the latest Harley rubber coated one or use aftermarket like James or Cometic. I prefer the Harley.

Good Luck Evobigtwin

Last edited by Unca Mike; 02-17-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Unca Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

sflemon88 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a 98 fxdwg and just replaced the tappet blocks without lowering the motor you just need an allen head wrench that is cut off just past the bend so it can fit between the frame and bolt on the rear. The front is still a pain on the left side but not as bad as the rear rocker box. After you get the 4 allen heads out just carefully slide the top 2 pieces of the box out and you are free to un-bolt the bottom piece from the head.
sflemon88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
FNG :)

evobigtwin wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks to all

I thank you all for your advice

in this case I will use the wrench but I will be very useful for future work to know how to lower the engine

Thanks to all
evobigtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Softail99fb wants to know Dino or Syn?
Cut the stock push rods with bolt cutters then use an adjustable push rod like revera taperlites. Time, and long run headaches will be saved. And use the crane 310, same performance but a quieter valve train! The fast ramps of the andrews cams make for an annoying valve train noise to some to the point of swapping it out for something else. The crane 310 is the better choice.
Softail99fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement